• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

deja vu not overwriting

Peter Maas

Question

I do not understand what's wrong here: I would like DejaVu because it is a simple way to make a backup on dvd+RW. It has two options: making the backup exactly as the originating folder (thereby removing items on DVD you remove in the originating folder) or adding files which are being added to the folder on harddisk.

Both options do not deal with files that are changed but already on DVD. Why do I need this: to make a backup of my email-folder (entourage). Or to backup larger files that I work on.

Suggestions appreciated.

Peter Maas

1 answer to this question

It is not possible to write incremental additions to DVDs on a Mac with Toast. The DVD+RW must be erased before it can be written to again. What you might try is creating a temporary partition on your hard drive (Toast has that option in its Utilities menu). Have Deja Vu save incremental updates to the temporary partition. Then periodically erase your DVD+RW and burn the content of the temporary partition to the disc. People typically alternate between two sets of media so they never erase the most recently burned disc.

If you want a way to burn incrementally to DVD media then check into Retrospect.

Archived