• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

A Few General Questions Music Disc Creator

michaeltee

Question

Hi,

I currently have EMC 7 and 7.5 (7.5 currently installed) and am considering upgrading to 8.0. I was just wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what has changed particularly with Creator Classic (apparently now called "Music Disc Creator"). Does it still have the cross-fading feature and if so, are the fade increments in whole seconds or are fractional increments possible (eg; 2.5 seconds)? In general are there any significant improvements in Music Disc Creator vs. Creator Classic? Lastly, does the retail CD version of 8.0 offer the custom install feature (where the user can select which apps are installed)?

Thanks in advance for any feedback :-)

9 answers to this question

Thanks! I appreciate the screen shot. I see that there's a decimal point... very encouraging :-)

I want to let you know that this feature is not working properly. The songs will always fade in and fade out. The option to simply have the songs crossfade without a fade-in/fade-out doe NOT work. Roxio admitted this to me and no fix is currently scheduled. I am using the old version 6 until they figure this out.

There is still a Creator Classic but the audio burning features are now part of Music Disc Creator. All the features are still there plus some. DVD Music Assistant is included which allows you to make a audio DVD which can hold hours and hours of music.

I've always had no trouble installing EMC on my D partition and it was only the download version that would not allow you to do this. If you don't look closely during the install, you might miss it so you need to install it slowly or you'll pass it by.

Thanks Paul. One thing I'm really curious about is if version 8.0 Creator allows precise crossfade overlap increments. In the old version 6.0 you could set fractional values (like 1.4 seconds or 3.6 seconds, etc) but for some reason they changed the feature in version 7.0 and 7.5 and only "whole" seconds could be set. Anyone know?

Thanks!

I want to let you know that this feature is not working properly. The songs will always fade in and fade out. The option to simply have the songs crossfade without a fade-in/fade-out doe NOT work. Roxio admitted this to me and no fix is currently scheduled. I am using the old version 6 until they figure this out.

Well, I can't argue with you're saying it always fades out/in even during a cross fade, it appears that it does, even if you tell it you don't want to. There's actually a good reason for it. During a cross fade, when you're doing it digitally, as here, you're actually summing two signals. If you don't attenuate one signal as you add the other, you could cause some horrible distortion. In reality, how often that happens will be completely subject to the music, how much they overlap, how "loud" they were digitized, and how the waveforms "hit".

You do have some control over how the fading is done. In the image below, you can make it a sharp curve, or a linear ramp. Selecting the square cutoff (no fade) appears to do the linear ramp.

But, to answer the original posters question, fractions of seconds are accepted.

post-61-1141668535.jpg

Thanks Paul. One thing I'm really curious about is if version 8.0 Creator allows precise crossfade overlap increments. In the old version 6.0 you could set fractional values (like 1.4 seconds or 3.6 seconds, etc) but for some reason they changed the feature in version 7.0 and 7.5 and only "whole" seconds could be set. Anyone know?

Thanks!

Michael, I'm not a huge user of doing anything audio but burning music to disc but I believe 8's Music Disc Creator will do what you want. Fading and overlapping can be set to the time you want but I don't know what the limits are.

post-79-1140999377.jpg

My apologies, but I don't understand the "good reason" as this function (the square cut-off no fade option) works flawlessly in version 6. Roxio did tell me that thye will fix this at some point

Flawlessly may be a matter of interpretation, and good luck.

You first have to understand how digitized music is represented. It is a series of numbers, that can have a value from -32768 to +32767. If you simply add two pieces of music together, with no attenuation, there is a good likelihood that at some point, the numbers being added will be higher than 32767, or lower than -32768. At that point, the music is clipped, distorted, squared off. Depending on the volume of the two pieces, and how often the high/low numbers happen to coincide, you could get a lot of clipping, just a little (so that it's not even noticeable) or none at all. To guarantee that no clipping occurs, you have to attenuate (fade) one song, or both as you mix them. That is, if you cut each songs volume in half, then you can guarantee that you'll never have a value outside the allowable limits, thus, no clipping.

If you crossfaded all of your songs in ECDC 6, where the song is starting to fade normally, and neither song is overly "loud", then there's a good chance there'll be no clipping, or not enough to notice. But you can't guarantee it. My guess is that someone noticed the possibility of clipping and decided to "fix" it, by forcing the fading out/in.

My guess, and there's no good reason they couldn't put the none-fading crossfade back in, but maybe with a warning that clipping "could" result.

Hope that helps clear it up.

Michael, I'm not a huge user of doing anything audio but burning music to disc but I believe 8's Music Disc Creator will do what you want. Fading and overlapping can be set to the time you want but I don't know what the limits are.

Thanks! I appreciate the screen shot. I see that there's a decimal point... very encouraging :-)

Hi,

I currently have EMC 7 and 7.5 (7.5 currently installed) and am considering upgrading to 8.0. I was just wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what has changed particularly with Creator Classic (apparently now called "Music Disc Creator"). Does it still have the cross-fading feature and if so, are the fade increments sill in whole seconds or are fractional increments possible (eg; 2.5 seconds)? In general are there any significant improvements in Music Disc Creator vs. Creator Classic? Lastly, does the retail CD version of 8.0 offer the custom install feature (where the user can select which apps are installed)?

Thanks in advance for any feedback :-)

There is still a Creator Classic but the audio burning features are now part of Music Disc Creator. All the features are still there plus some. DVD Music Assistant is included which allows you to make a audio DVD which can hold hours and hours of music.

I've always had no trouble installing EMC on my D partition and it was only the download version that would not allow you to do this. If you don't look closely during the install, you might miss it so you need to install it slowly or you'll pass it by.

johnstred,

After starting this thread I purchased EMC 8 and have discovered that you are 100% correct. In Version 8, it is impossible to perform an overlap transition without an unwanted fade effect being applied to the adjacent tracks. I appreciate the technical explanations that have been offered in this thread but having used the crossfade feature extensively in versions 6, 7 and 7.5 I must say that I have never encountered audible distortion (clipping, etc.) of any kind. Perhaps Roxio uses a proprietary technology to avoid such problems. Overlap transitions are certainly possible (and can be performed quite cleanly) with applications such as MixMiester and Acoustica MP3 CD Burner. It seems to me that this is simply a bug that Roxio needs to address, hopefully as soon as possible.

Well, I can't argue with you're saying it always fades out/in even during a cross fade, it appears that it does, even if you tell it you don't want to. There's actually a good reason for it. During a cross fade, when you're doing it digitally, as here, you're actually summing two signals. If you don't attenuate one signal as you add the other, you could cause some horrible distortion. In reality, how often that happens will be completely subject to the music, how much they overlap, how "loud" they were digitized, and how the waveforms "hit".

You do have some control over how the fading is done. In the image below, you can make it a sharp curve, or a linear ramp. Selecting the square cutoff (no fade) appears to do the linear ramp.

But, to answer the original posters question, fractions of seconds are accepted.

My apologies, but I don't understand the "good reason" as this function (the square cut-off no fade option) works flawlessly in version 6. Roxio did tell me that thye will fix this at some point

Archived