• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Jimmy Doors

HELP - V9 Won't Open V4 CDs

Question

First-timer here, so excuse me if I don't know all of your protocols.

I have several archive data disks made from a Pentium III-based version of Easy Creator 4 (OS was Windows 98SE). None of them will open or be recognized by my new computer, a Vista-based system that came with Creator V9.

Files are all sorts -- PDFs, MS Office, RTF, etc.

Any ideas ? Thanks.

JD

6 answers to this question

I have several archive data disks made from a Pentium III-based version of Easy Creator 4 (OS was Windows 98SE). None of them will open or be recognized by my new computer, a Vista-based system that came with Creator V9.

Any ideas ? Thanks.

JD

Sounds like you may have made those using the old DirectCD packet writing software. Take a look at this post and see if it helps you.

If you can't access them on the old computer (and use the files to write them using Creator) what you may need is a third party program like isobuster or cdroller. These are usually able to read the files made by DirectCD or Drag to Disc and they can then be extracted to the hard drive

There are free demos of both of them that will let you see if they can read the files but you have to buy the full version to actually extract them

Any ideas ? Thanks.

JD

Another possibility, if I remember things correctly, is that a disc needs to be "finalized" in order to insure compatiability/readibility between machines.

If drag to disk (packet writing) was not used on the older machine, were the discs "finalized"? When I am burning data discs to be used in another machine, I always "finalize" them. I use both EMC and Nero for burning data discs and both have a means of finalizing the discs. I am not at the machines with these applications, but if I remember correctly, both allows for the addition of additional data or not allowing addition of additional data (finalizing?) as an option prior to starting the burning process.

If I am incorrect about the finalizing being necessary, would someone please reply so I can stop wasting time doing it. I just do it because it seems I remembered something about it being necessary, but since my memory has many miles on it, it could be faulty.

Thanks to all who responded / IMed. The ideas were all very useful. Since these were archives of irreplaceable files, I'll be following up presently, and will let you know what success I have had.

Take care.

JD

Another possibility, if I remember things correctly, is that a disc needs to be "finalized" in order to insure compatiability/readibility between machines.

If drag to disk (packet writing) was not used on the older machine, were the discs "finalized"? When I am burning data discs to be used in another machine, I always "finalize" them. I use both EMC and Nero for burning data discs and both have a means of finalizing the discs. I am not at the machines with these applications, but if I remember correctly, both allows for the addition of additional data or not allowing addition of additional data (finalizing?) as an option prior to starting the burning process.

If I am incorrect about the finalizing being necessary, would someone please reply so I can stop wasting time doing it. I just do it because it seems I remembered something about it being necessary, but since my memory has many miles on it, it could be faulty.

You are wrong about Finalizing!!!

Well mostly… I have never had packet writer disc that had to be finalized to be read on any other PC that had a pw Reader on it. (XP/Vista have pw readers in their OS)

Could be an exception if the Compression option was selected when formatting the media… Then finalizing might be required. (never tried it as I learned a long time ago that compression was an invitation to long term data lose)

There also exists the possibility that Mr. Doors didn't even use a packet writer but rather used Session… If earlier sessions were not made active they are invisible and unreachable by normal means. This 'session dancing' was eliminated in V6 and never been a problem since then!

So you might be wrong or you might be right – that's the story I'm sticking to!

You are wrong about Finalizing!!!

Well mostly… I have never had packet writer disc that had to be finalized to be read on any other PC that had a pw Reader on it. (XP/Vista have pw readers in their OS)

Could be an exception if the Compression option was selected when formatting the media… Then finalizing might be required. (never tried it as I learned a long time ago that compression was an invitation to long term data lose)

There also exists the possibility that Mr. Doors didn't even use a packet writer but rather used Session… If earlier sessions were not made active they are invisible and unreachable by normal means. This 'session dancing' was eliminated in V6 and never been a problem since then!

So you might be wrong or you might be right – that's the story I'm sticking to!

Thanks for the feedback