• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Toast And Video Ipod Files

billav

Question

I might get a Video iPod, depending on what Apple announces on Feb 28th. I decided to make some test files using Quickime and Toast. Not only did the files complete much, much, MUCH faster using Quicktime, they also looked much better; even when using the "higher quality" setting in Toast. I just figured that Toast would use Quicktime to make the files, but it seems to me that Toast has it's own encoder, and it's not very good. Can anyone confirm this, or am I doing something wrong?

4 answers to this question

I might get a Video iPod, depending on what Apple announces on Feb 28th. I decided to make some test files using Quickime and Toast. Not only did the files complete much, much, MUCH faster using Quicktime, they also looked much better; even when using the "higher quality" setting in Toast. I just figured that Toast would use Quicktime to make the files, but it seems to me that Toast has it's own encoder, and it's not very good. Can anyone confirm this, or am I doing something wrong?

Interesting. I just did the same comparison and agree with you on both points. Toast took more than twice as long and the colors aren't as saturated as the conversion with QuickTime Pro.

It really depends on the source. Also, Toast 7.0.2 was released before QT 7.0.4, so until the 7.0.4, Toast and QT were doing the same thing. The options are there just to make it easy. If you want the best quality or the fastest speed, one should always manually adjust the settings.

Also, the Recommend settings in Toast are for output to TV, and use a high resolution. If you have a small file and increase the resolution though, then the quality may not be as good. I've done DVD to iPod in Toast and it looks just fine.

QuickTime uses H.264 for iPod export. QuickTime 7.0.4 changed how the iPod export worked. In QT 7.0.3, Apple used multiple pass for iPod. In QT 7.0.4, QT changed the iPod export to single pass. That is why there is a speed difference. Toast was faster than QT prior to the 7.0.4 update. Toast is using multiple pass.

The recommend setting in Toast is MPEG-4 which is not has good of quality as H.264 (Apples H.264 and MPEG-4 suck and are slow), but it is a lot faster then H.264. The default setting in Toast is H.264 which is the same as QT. Don't know about the saturation, Toast uses QT, not it's own encoder.

You don't have to use the presets in Toast, you can just use MPEG-4 or H.264, change the settings and bitrate and it will work on the iPod. However, QT only works with QT native formats and one can't convert DVD or VOB with it. Even with the QT MPEG-2 component, it will be problematic.

Most of the files I've done with Toast looked fine. The screen on the iPod is only 2.4 inches and unless you plan on watching it on your TV, you won't notice the difference in quality.

So the real issue here is that Toast's iPod presets are different than Quicktime's. I changed the settings, and I now get similar results in Toast. The default settings in Toast are horrible - even for a small screen; you get a larger file, it takes longer to encode, and it looks worse. Roxio should change this in the next upgrade. If fact, it's such an easy fix, it should have been done already.

Archived