• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

drag-to-disc 32 vista

hoarel

Question

I am getting the following error when running the 32 bit patch " software not found - drag-to-disc 32 vista could not be located on your system. re-install drag-to disc 32 vista and then run this patch again " I have re-installed from software disc (mydvd 9 studio premium) but still get the error. :unsure:

21 answers to this question

Perhaps I over reacted a bit. :mellow: I still believe that D2D can be reliable by following:

1. Use good hardware

2. Keep the drive firmware up-to-date

3. Keep your software up-to-date

4. Use good media

5. Don't burn past the manufacturer's speed rating for the media

6. Finalize the media to ISO as a precaution (I some times to this)

7. Keep extra backups of all critical media

8. If paranoid, read verify/compare the media on another drive

I have been using EMC since version 5 and I have never had a media problem with except with EMC compatibility with the higher version trying to be read by lower version and then that media was not finalized to ISO.

If it takes an 8 point list to make packet writing "foolproof", you just have lost any sort or argument you can make for it!!!

Steps Using Classic:

put disc inwrite disctake disc out

110% foolproof!!!

Oh, I have used D2D & DCD since version 3. I still use it but mostly to help track down problems that others are having. I have a Tips & Tricks post on using packet writing in V9 (here) as well as other places.

:D I appear to have fixed my problem with mydvd 9 as follows. First I did an uninstall of all roxio programes on my system. after reboot I was still getting the error "The Sonic Solutions DLA Driver is blocked due to compatability issues". So I thought I would re-install using the original discs and then use the same discs to un-install, but after re-install and reboot I no longer have the error and the software appears to be working fine so far. Fingers crossed as I am only a mug at this computer caper.

:rolleyes:

Some other questions to consider

1. How many discs written with different packet writing brands of software (InCD, DLA, DCD, D2D, etc...) are compatible with each other? None. Even some versions of a particular brand are not compatible with each other.

2. How many discs written with packet writing software can be read on all pc's without additional software? None unless you have at least XP (and even then it doesn't always).

3. How many packet writing brands/versions of software can you have installed at the same time? One. Period.

4. How many discs written with session writing software (Creator Classic, RecordNow, XP, etc...) can be read on all pc's without additional software? All.

5. How many session writing software programs can you have installed at the same time? As many as you'd like.

Some questions for you to think about.

1. How many copies of packet writing software are installed in the market place?

2. How many copies of packet writing software are not used only because of reliability issues?

3. What is the ratio of use to not use?

You probably can't answer those questions any better than I can.

And a big question is "How many States and businesses are using packet writing software to create archival data storage"?

I sure hope that there aren't any States or businesses are using packet writing software to create backup of data.

Although I think it is possible. I suspect that lazy folks use the packet writing software because of the ease of dragging and dropping. I tried it once, in version 4, I believe, and once I found how the software took total control of my CD drive, I uninstalled it, and it hasn't been on my computer since.

Some questions for you to think about.

1. How many copies of packet writing software are installed in the market place?

2. How many copies of packet writing software are not used only because of reliability issues?

3. What is the ratio of use to not use?

You probably can't answer those questions any better than I can.

And a big question is "How many States and businesses are using packet writing software to create archival data storage"?

I think iot was included for 'historic' reasons. Back at the start (round ECD 3 which is when I started with 2x CD-RW drives) blank CD-Rs cost a pound sterling apiece and it made sense then to use RWs and packet writing for transferring data. I also learnt back then, that if I wanted to KEEP the data not to trust it :lol:

I can't speak for the others on why they lost data. :( Perhaps their environmental situation was not as good as mine.

If Roxio thought that D2D was unacceptably unreliable, then why hasn't D2D been eliminated from the product set? If that should ever happen, then I will concede the issue. Even "N" continues to include the same technology in their product set. I would ask the same about their prodcut set and why has it not been eliminated.

The environment for creating and writing DVDs and CDs is critical as is knowing what precautions to take to ensure reliability. Some hate packet writing and some will like it. I use both ways.

I use D2D when exchanging data between PCs and when continuing to update and add data to the same media. I use Classic for write once backups. Different stokes for different folks.

I have been using Roxio since version 5 with D2D and have never had a problem with lost data. :D Most of if not all of the eight steps would have to be included even with your approach with Classic or any other product. Nothing is ever guaranteed! But not having ever lost data with CD and DVD media I rest my case. Q.E.D.

We want Roxio to improve the product not ignore pieces of it based on FUD.

Nobody else agrees with you.

That must be worth something…

What will prove interesting to observe is that MS included a packet writer in Vista – written by Sonic.

I wonder how that will fair over the years to come???

No FUD involved here =- do a search of the forum and try to count just how many posts there have been about lost data using CD-RW and Drag to Disc or its earlier incarnations. I ain't even going to TRY counting them

If you managed to get it to work, as we say here "fair play to you" but I'd as soon trust a slippery pole over a deep river than trust anything to it ;)

I have been using Roxio since version 5 with D2D and have never had a problem with lost data. :D Most of if not all of the eight steps would have to be included even with your approach with Classic or any other product. Nothing is ever guaranteed! But not having ever lost data with CD and DVD media I rest my case. Q.E.D.

We want Roxio to improve the product not ignore pieces of it based on FUD.

Perhaps I over reacted a bit. :mellow: I still believe that D2D can be reliable by following:

1. Use good hardware

2. Keep the drive firmware up-to-date

3. Keep your software up-to-date

4. Use good media

5. Don't burn past the manufacturer's speed rating for the media

6. Finalize the media to ISO as a precaution (I some times to this)

7. Keep extra backups of all critical media

8. If paranoid, read verify/compare the media on another drive

I have been using EMC since version 5 and I have never had a media problem with except with EMC compatibility with the higher version trying to be read by lower version and then that media was not finalized to ISO.

Jim,

We need to keep encouraging people to use D2D and report errors and experiences. I will not under any circumstances play down the success that I have had with D2D. With that said, perhaps you should move on to another BB Mr. negative.

James is a very wise person. He has seen the horror stories of folks losing their valueable backup data, because they used packet writing software.

Need to encourage people to use D2D? I think not. James should move on to a different BB? I really don't think that James is the one who needs to move on.

I have requested a fukll refund from Roxio as they have been sending me around in circles for a week trying the same fixes & patches. I sent this before I went to bed last night but have just looked and they have not replied as yet. They have benn farely prompt up untill now.

Drag-to-Disk does work on VISTA!! :D I am running VISTA Home Premium with EMC 9 Suite rev c (9.1) and most everything works (to some degree). I have noticed some bugs but not with Drag-to-Disk (D2D). I do not have any Roxio patches installed. :P

I have noticed other posts recommending to delete D2D but it works for me. Just use good media and don't try to burn past the manufacturer's media rating.

I have ever seen a post asking how to recover data from media written with Classic!!!

I have seen hundreds of posts asking about how to recover data from D2D discs… Sadly in most cases it is lost!

You are nowhere near an average user and D2D will indeed bite you in the a__ one day.

Now please stop encouraging folks to use the least reliable form of burning ever devised.

Drag-to-Disk does work on VISTA!! :D I am running VISTA Home Premium with EMC 9 Suite rev c (9.1) and most everything works (to some degree). I have noticed some bugs but not with Drag-to-Disk (D2D). I do not have any Roxio patches installed. :P

I have noticed other posts recommending to delete D2D but it works for me. Just use good media and don't try to burn past the manufacturer's media rating.

they only released this patch to stop a DLA error message that was comming up after the install of EMC on vista,

if you got this message "This Driver is blocked due to compatibility issues" after you installed EMC and rebooted then that is what the patch was for, if you didnt then you dont need it.

Also drag to disk (D2D) will not work under vista so you should just remove it via add & remove programes if its installed.

hope this helps

Thank you for your help . I purchased "mydvd 9 Studio Premier " and after install I got the message you mention above and instructions to run the patch I have mentioned but as d2d does not exist on my system the patch will not run. I have sent my info to Roxio as well but seem to be going around in circles at the moment as they tell me to remove d2d but as I say It does not exist in the program files. Thanks again I will try Roxio again and if no joy will ask for a refund and purchase a different software. Cheers, Lloyd

they only released this patch to stop a DLA error message that was comming up after the install of EMC on vista,

if you got this message "This Driver is blocked due to compatibility issues" after you installed EMC and rebooted then that is what the patch was for, if you didnt then you dont need it.

Also drag to disk (D2D) will not work under vista so you should just remove it via add & remove programes if its installed.

hope this helps

Archived