Supported Hardware

jaschroeder

Question

When attempting to capture composite video from a Hauppauge WinTV PVR PCI II card I receive a Operation 'Build' on Capture Manager failed error. I am able to capture using Windows Movie Maker. Everything is the same, but one software package will capture and one won't. I am running Windows XP Media Center SP2 on a Dell Dimension E510. All I can think of is that the Hauppauge video capture card is not supported by EMC 8, but I can't find a Hardware Compatability List, any ideas? Thanks.

9 answers to this question

I don't know if this is any help to grandpabruce or to you, but one thing I discovered with my Gigapocket (generic sony capture card that came with Sony PC) is that at first I couldnt capture with Windows Movie maker or EMC8 either. Nothing showed up in the preview window of EMC. Only Gigapocket software. BUT I discovered one day that if I open gigapocket and can see the preview THEN open media import from EMC8 after I close giga, it seems to wake up whatever software EMC8 detects and it works!!. I dont really know how to explain it but it seems these cards are heavily software relient and it starts a process that EMC detects. So now if I want to use EMC to capture I simply open Giga for a few seconds, close it down and then fire up EMC Inport and select "smart capture" and it works.

As far as Windows Movie Maker, that thing hasnt worked for me on ANY computer or capture card! :)

Thanks, Dan. I will give it a try when I get back home sometime tomorrow.

Roxio isn't going to do anything… It is not feasible to attempt to address every card device in existence.

Standards were set by MS but many card/device makers refuse to meet them. Instead they provide custom software to makeup for their non-standard devices.

Read through the thread, alternatives are mentioned.

I don't see any alternative that help me out. I still get no video

Calm down there grandpa. I'll try again but it hasn't been working

I don't need to calm down. From your posts, I wasn't quite sure if you were able to read. What software came with your Hauppauge card? If it doesn't work, why would you think that the Roxio software would work, and more importantly, why would you possibly think that Roxio would fix your problem?

When attempting to capture composite video from a Hauppauge WinTV PVR PCI II card I receive a Operation 'Build' on Capture Manager failed error. I am able to capture using Windows Movie Maker. Everything is the same, but one software package will capture and one won't. I am running Windows XP Media Center SP2 on a Dell Dimension E510. All I can think of is that the Hauppauge video capture card is not supported by EMC 8, but I can't find a Hardware Compatability List, any ideas? Thanks.

Same problem here. We'll see what Roxio does.

Same problem here. We'll see what Roxio does.

Roxio isn't going to do anything… It is not feasible to attempt to address every card device in existence.

Standards were set by MS but many card/device makers refuse to meet them. Instead they provide custom software to makeup for their non-standard devices.

Read through the thread, alternatives are mentioned.

I can't capture through my Hauppauge card, using either Windows Movie Maker, or any version of EMC. Use WinTV 2000 or whatever program came with your card.

I can't capture through my Hauppauge card, using either Windows Movie Maker, or any version of EMC. Use WinTV 2000 or whatever program came with your card.

I don't know if this is any help to grandpabruce or to you, but one thing I discovered with my Gigapocket (generic sony capture card that came with Sony PC) is that at first I couldnt capture with Windows Movie maker or EMC8 either. Nothing showed up in the preview window of EMC. Only Gigapocket software. BUT I discovered one day that if I open gigapocket and can see the preview THEN open media import from EMC8 after I close giga, it seems to wake up whatever software EMC8 detects and it works!!. I dont really know how to explain it but it seems these cards are heavily software relient and it starts a process that EMC detects. So now if I want to use EMC to capture I simply open Giga for a few seconds, close it down and then fire up EMC Inport and select "smart capture" and it works.

As far as Windows Movie Maker, that thing hasnt worked for me on ANY computer or capture card! :)

Archived