sid1985

Please Help Me With Easy Cd Creator 4 - No Supported Cd Recorders

hey, i have windows millenium edition and easy cd creator 4. When i attempt to create a music CD i get an error message saying that "There are no supported CD-Recorders available" it suggests that i may need to update the easy cd creator to recognize the cd recorder by selecting the web checkup from the internet menu. however when i try this it does not work. i have searched the net to find a way of solving the problem but have had no success.

can anyone help me?

cheers,

Jon.

hey, i have windows millenium edition and easy cd creator 4. When i attempt to create a music CD i get an error message saying that "There are no supported CD-Recorders available" it suggests that i may need to update the easy cd creator to recognize the cd recorder by selecting the web checkup from the internet menu. however when i try this it does not work. i have searched the net to find a way of solving the problem but have had no success.

can anyone help me?

cheers,

Jon.

Did this just start happening, can you make a data cd, or did you get a new burner?.

At this point it could be anything, we have no idea of what you have added/deleted/changed on your system.

It sounds like maybe you got a new burner?.

hey, yes i did get a new burner. but im ok now iv'e found a way around the problem. thanks neway.

jon.

If you got a NEW burner (as opposed to one made, say, around 2003 or before), you need new software anyway.

Even ECDC 5 won't recognize anything subsequent to Dec 2004 with the latest (probably final) drive-up patch - and it doesn't work well with WinXP when SP2 has been added (and is officially NOT supported. ECDC 4 is older than that, and doesn't work with WinXP at all).

Lynn

Edited by lynn98109

i am getting this error message as well.

my story is this:

my hard drive was about to die, so i took it into a computer shop and they were able to save my important files and set me up with a new hard drive.

so then i found all the disks that came with my Gateway and started loading the programs i needed. one was Easy CD Creator. this worked fine from the day i got the computer to the day my computer messed up.

the other day i tried to burn a cd and got the same error message.

what should i do in this case?

thanks.

my story is this:

my hard drive was about to die, so i took it into a computer shop and they were able to save my important files and set me up with a new hard drive.

so then i found all the disks that came with my Gateway and started loading the programs i needed. one was Easy CD Creator. this worked fine from the day i got the computer to the day my computer messed up.

the other day i tried to burn a cd and got the same error message.

thanks.

Try reading the entire thread.

If that doesn't answer the question, we need to know the id string of the new drive - to get the ID string, right-click on the "my computer" icon, go to "properties" at the bottom of the menu, the hardware tab, then Device Manager, then click on the + alongside the CDROM icon.

Just remember - ECDC 4 hasn't had any Drive-up patch or other updates for over 2 years. Your drive may be too new.

Lynn

Edited by lynn98109

my story is this:

so then i found all the disks that came with my Gateway and started loading the programs i needed. one was Easy CD Creator. this worked fine from the day i got the computer to the day my computer messed up. the other day i tried to burn a cd and got the same error message.

thanks.

Thomaslans,

It is obvious from what you said that you haven't got a new drive.

I think what you have done is you've gone back to software which is too old for the drive you've always had.

You have reinstalled ECDC from your original CD, but have you updated it at all? It's very likely that your working version had been updated at some time to support your drive, and if you don't update the version you've just installed your drive won't be supported.

You would need to run CD Creator in a data project and then go to Help / About ECDC to see what version number is displayed to be sure, but I'm guessing you have an install CD with one of the early shipping versions - probably 4.01.

Now version 4.0 supported 390 different drives, and 4.01 supported 485, but after updates the final version 4.05 supports 1,022 drives. The odds are very high that your drive is one of the 537 which needed an update.

I can confirm this is the case, if you'll give me your ECDC version number (from above) and your Drive ID which will see if you right click My Computer, select properties, Device Manager. Find the DVD/CDROM icon, click on the + alongside to expand it and you will see an icon and text information for each CD/DVD device installed. This text is the ID String. Please quote it exactly.

In any event, you'll probably need to update. Roxio (US) doesn't carry v4 updates any more. Last I heard version 4 updates were still available from http://www.roxio.com/en/support/uk/ecdc/so...updatesv4.jhtml

If you have a low version number you will need to update to 4.02 and then 4.05. If you're already at 4.02 or higher you go straight to 4.05.

i meant 'same error message as the poster above.' i never had a problem with it before. it's the same software that was preloaded by Gateway when i bought the computer. i guess it's a possibility that gateway updated it before sending it to me. both cd drives are the originals as well.

IDE-CD R/RW 8x4x32

Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1402

Hi Thomaslans,

No problem, your message was quite clear. :) I understood. What is giving me problems is your drives.

Now the SD-M1402 is not a worry. It's a reader not a writer, so it doesn't concern us.

The IDE-CD R/RW 8x4x32 is a big problem for me, since it has been supported by Easy CD Creator since back before version 4, so if your software is version 4 it shouldn't need updates.

Please check and tell me what version of Creator you have. Run Creator and select to make a music CD, then click the Help button, and go to About Easy CD Creator. Clicking there should bring up a box with the version number in it. What is the full number it shows, please?

(If it's not updates, this problem could take a day or two to sort out. Don't despair, we'll be working on it with you.)

4.02a S1

Okay thanks. 4.02a S1 is an OEM version of course, but there should still be only very minor differences between it and the retail version.

To explain what's happening, versions of Easy CD Creator and its offspring up to version 6 use a look-up table to match the various burners with the right parameters and commands they need. Your drive is checked against the table, and if there's a perfect match the drive is "recognized" and burning goes ahead.

The error you're getting shows the software isn't getting a match. Causes for this can be:

1-the drive is broken and won't tell Windows what it is

2-the drive is too new for the version of software / was not known to Adaptec/Roxio

3-the registry has been damaged so the software can't find the table of drives

I thought it would be #2, but your drive was known to all of version 4 so you won't need updates.

I presume it won't be #1, because you delivered the drive ID string (IDE-CD R/RW 8x4x32) - unless you had memorized it :) Does the drive behave properly when reading discs? Have you any other CD burning software you can use to try out the drive? Did you see it in Device Manager?

I'd like to be sure the drive is okay, but in the meantime we'd better check the Registry.

Please run Regedit.exe. Press Ctrl-F (find) and search your registry for "device106" (without the quotes)

If the registry's okay, you should find device106 and it should have a string value which looks like this:

"IDE-CD R/RW 8x4x32,IDE-CD,R/RW 8x4x32,PHIL4XRW,cdrmmc.drv,128"

This is the entry in the table for your drive. The device number stayed the same throughout version 4 and until 5.01.

Lack of that entry or damage to the software will cause the error you're getting. Can you tell me if you can find the entry, and if it has the same as I've shown above?

Gee! I hate it when that happens :) Everything seems to be as it should be. One last check please?

Would you please confirm that when you went to burn a CD with CD Creator (not Direct CD) you got a message that there were no supported recorders, and that your recorder's ID string is "IDE-CD R/RW 8x4x32" (no odd chacters or garbage) when you look into Windows' Device Manager ?

Okay, we've gone through all the major causes of the error message I think you're getting.

-the drive is talking to Windows and giving its ID string

-the drive's ID string is properly formed, and matches the registry entry at device106.

Given the above, you shouldn't get the error unless there's something stopping Creator from reading the registry, or the Creator software has been broken by something. Other CD-writing programs such as MusicMatch, MediaPlayer 7.01 and higher, ar any of the recent Real players are good suspects.

With your computer on my desk and many hours of dissecting the software and registry I might be able to track down the break. However that isn't practicable and I might not find the cause anyway.

I think your best course here is to uninstall Easy CD Creator and any other CD-burning software you have installed, clean the fragments from the system and registry with Roxizap, and then reinstall ECDC. Especially with the cleanout using Roxizap, this will give you the best chance of a clean install with nothing treading on it.

[Note: don't use Roxizap if you're using Roxio's Goback program]

This shouldn't take too long (my best time using the old manual method to clean uninstall was about 6 minutes) and it isn't complicated now, but is certainly worth trying.

-go to Control Panel Install/Uninstall programs and uninstall Easy CD Creator and any other CD-writing programs including such things as Music Match or any of the Real players. Restart the computer.

-get Roxizap from the Roxio site. There's a link to it here Roxizap

-run Roxizap. Restart the computer again (just to be sure)

-install ECDC once more, and see how it goes.

Good fortune . . .

Oh! :)

Major bummer!

I can't think of anything else to try, at this point. You can't be running XP or you wouldn't have got V4 installed. About the only other cause I can think of is music software with a CD burning engine, and you say you've uninstalled any of those. If you have Windows Media Player updated to 9, that could do it but there's no fixing that because WMP9 has been made impossible to uninstall.

I'm really stumped here. I'd love to know what's causing this, but flogging a dead horse gets quite tiring. Perhaps it's time to cut your losses and get a version 5 off eBay.

hey brendon, you still around?

i had been seeing some Roxio Burning software simply titled "Easy CD & DVD Burning." on the back it has some small writing saying it's Version 6. anywho, it meets all my requirements. i put it on my computer, got an error. so i've taken it totally off and reinstalled. now when i try to burn it says:

"Cannot initialize API

Please reinstall Roxio Software"

i can move this to the 6 forum, but just trying you since you helped before. this is very frustrating.

When you "removed" Version 6 - did you just use add/remove?

You need to first use add/remove, and then use roxizap to get out the rest of the leftover scraps -

http://tools.roxio.com/support/tools/roxizap.exe

(NOTE: if you ARE using Roxio (Now Symantec) GoBack 3, unistall before and reinstall afterward.) (At present, you can go to the knowledgebase and type in "roxizap" and get the link and the instructions; let us know if the link is having problems again.)

After that, you should be able to successfully reinstall.

Lynn

Lynn

. . .and THEN you can go to the V6 forum to see if they can give you some help there. (sad smile)

[No Lynn, that doesn't count as passion! :) And anyway, it's about version 6 )

Sorry Thomaslans, a number of us didn't have much luck with version 6.

. . .and THEN you can go to the V6 forum to see if they can give you some help there. (sad smile)

[No Lynn, that doesn't count as passion! :) And anyway, it's about version 6 )

Sorry Thomaslans, a number of us didn't have much luck with version 6.

I had V.6 on my computer briefly between ECDC 4 and ECDC 5. V.5 is an improvement on V.4.

Lynn

When you "removed" Version 6 - did you just use add/remove?

You need to first use add/remove, and then use roxizap to get out the rest of the leftover scraps -

http://tools.roxio.com/support/tools/roxizap.exe

(NOTE: if you ARE using Roxio (Now Symantec) GoBack 3, unistall before and reinstall afterward.) (At present, you can go to the knowledgebase and type in "roxizap" and get the link and the instructions; let us know if the link is having problems again.)

Lynn

Did the above and had the same result.

.....will move on to version 6 forum.

thanks everyone.

i thought no one replied to this because i got no e-mail reply notification.