• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 33 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

netmation

Roxio 10 No AVCHD support?

Question

Just looked at the new features of Roxio 10, is it correct that there is no support for AVCHD video from some of the newer HD Camcorders in the market? Or did I miss something.

I just read through the New Features page and didn't see AVCHD mentioned. I am actually running Roxio 8, so I suppose it could of been introduced in 9 and I was unaware. Am I mistaken, does it support AVCHD?

If I remember it correctly, EMC 9 supports AVCHD

*** sorry I was wrong. I thought I used files from Sony HDR-SR1 in EMC 9 before but probably the file was not in AVCHD format. :(

Edited by gaper1

EMC doesn't support capture from ANY HD camcorder. If you already have the .m2ts file, Videowave 9/MyDVD 9 will then prompt you to convert it first bvefore using it.

I have no idea if EMC 10 'fully' supports these camcorders, but I did read on one page "capture HD Video". Only one way to find out. :)

I asked this same question on the EMC 9 forum and did not get confirmation. I tested some sample AVCHD files from the other camcorder forums and EMC 9 would not recognize them.

EMC10 claims to support high definition video import. The specifications list H264 but, as I have learned elsewhere, AVCHD has a number of variations that may give problems.

Here is some information about AVCHD

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264#Profiles

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVCHD

The new Sony Vegas Studio Platinum claims AVCHD support but only for AVCHD from Sony camcorders. Here is a discussion about the different flavors:

http://www.pana3ccduser.com/showthread.php?t=17209

Edited by pfcurtis

Just looked at the new features of Roxio 10, is it correct that there is no support for AVCHD video from some of the newer HD Camcorders in the market? Or did I miss something.

Hi,

That is correct. Easy Media Creator supports capture and video editing from HDV camcorders, as well as MPEG-4 HD camcorders. We are working to add support for AVCHD camcorders in a future release.

Easy Media Creator 10 supports editing of AVC video, as well as output in AVC (H.264).

Tom

Thanks for the clarification Tom. I take it in a future release, meaning it will be at minimum a year away yet, since you seem to have a new release every year.

I just downloaded two clips, one from a Sony camcorder and one from a Canon camcorder. Videowave 10 would not accept either one. I appeared to start the process, but ended with an error saying there was more than one stream that wasn't supported. (?) So looks like you can't even edit them even if you have already captured them.

I had no problem with HDV file.

I just downloaded two clips, one from a Sony camcorder and one from a Canon camcorder. Videowave 10 would not accept either one. I appeared to start the process, but ended with an error saying there was more than one stream that wasn't supported. (?) So looks like you can't even edit them even if you have already captured them.

I had no problem with HDV file.

Hi Gary,

This has to do with the way the audio and video are encoded as a single MPEG-2 transport stream. VideoWave supports AVC video as an elemental stream, but not in the form you downloaded.

Tom

Thanks for the clarification Tom. I take it in a future release, meaning it will be at minimum a year away yet, since you seem to have a new release every year.

I can't give a firm date... but it should not take nearly that long.

Tom

Edited by Tom at Roxio

This has to do with the way the audio and video are encoded as a single MPEG-2 transport stream. VideoWave supports AVC video as an elemental stream, but not in the form you downloaded.
Both were files supposedly DIRECTLY from a Sony and Canon camcorder. I really want to purchase a HD camcorder. Perhaps someone at Roxio should create a list of camcorders that have been tested and known to work with EMC 10? Edited by ggrussell

I can't give a firm date... but it should not take nearly that long.

Tom

Well, Tom - it has now been more than 6 months since you wrote about AVCHD-support in a future update/release of Easy Media Creator.

When will this release arrive?

I have just bought a new Canon HF100 camcorder and would really like to use my Media Creator 10 for editing.

I really don't have time to learn to use another program for this...

Well, Tom - it has now been more than 6 months since you wrote about AVCHD-support in a future update/release of Easy Media Creator.

When will this release arrive?

I have just bought a new Canon HF100 camcorder and would really like to use my Media Creator 10 for editing.

I really don't have time to learn to use another program for this...

I am now in the same boat. Just bought a Sony HDR-UX5 and was shocked to see that my Roxio software does not support it this long after the standard/model came out. It looks like I will have to purchace new software from another company to do what I need to do tomorrow. Good Grief!

I am now in the same boat. Just bought a Sony HDR-UX5 and was shocked to see that my Roxio software does not support it this long after the standard/model came out. It looks like I will have to purchace new software from another company to do what I need to do tomorrow. Good Grief!

Let us know how it goes for you.

Here is a good article on the current state of AVCHD software support. Bottom of the article mentions vendors and how well they support it.

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9746777-1.html?tag=nl.e501

Thanks for the info.

Over the weekend I took the video I needed and used the camera's software to convert it into MPG2 Which allowed me to get it into Roxio for editing and then onto a DVD.

I will be looking into other options for the future as this solution is not as elegant as I would like.

Just checking in on the progress to upgrade to AVCHD format . I have a Cannon HG10 and had fully expected Roxio 10 to support it. Had to buy Ulead VidioStudio 11 to use temporarily until an upgrade gets issued. Any word on when this will be supported yet?

Just checking in on the progress to upgrade to AVCHD format . I have a Cannon HG10 and had fully expected Roxio 10 to support it. Had to buy Ulead VidioStudio 11 to use temporarily until an upgrade gets issued. Any word on when this will be supported yet?

Probably not until there is one AVCHD codec and everyone agrees to abide with it (Sony?). I would not count on anything soon.

I'm very confused. I just got an email from Roxio mentioning AVCHD in EMC 10. Here's the excerpt:

From the Editor

What Dad really wants is quality time with his kids -- but the latest tech toy would be nice too! And Creator 10 can help him get more out of that new smartphone, iPod, Blu-ray player, AVCHD camcorder, TiVo or HDTV, to name just a few possible gifts.

If new electronics are not in the budget, use your copy of Creator to produce a personalized home movie DVD. Or make him a zany slideshow with our new PhotoShow app. This month's Feature Article tells you how.

If Roxio doesn't support AVCHD in EMC 10, then why is it even mentioned in their ad?

I'm very confused. I just got an email from Roxio mentioning AVCHD in EMC 10. Here's the excerpt:

If Roxio doesn't support AVCHD in EMC 10, then why is it even mentioned in their ad?

Ask Roxio. This is a users forum.

The most often reason for that is that development and marketing are loosely connected.

I'm afraid that AVCHD support mentioned by Roxio employee here on forums regarded EMC11.

a_t

I am trying to look into this issue for you. Can you point me to the article that it refers to?

I am trying to look into this issue for you. Can you point me to the article that it refers to?

Based on the excerpt that the OP posted above, he/she is referring to the mention of AVCHD in the latest Roxio newsletter.

post-114-1211906224.jpg