• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 15 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Cokeboy

audio sync problem

Question

I have a problem I used popcorn with elgato turbo to convert a VIDEO_TS folder for a tv show

when i played it halfway through the show it started to miss sync like a cheap japanese movie.

So i tried using elgato's own software and the movie played great ????

Edited by Cokeboy

25 answers to this question

AppleTV High as the elgato turbo 264 does not work if you use custom settings :(:(

Yet another question. Is the content within the VIDEO_TS folder transferred from film or is it from something that was originally on video such as a TV show, home movie or EyeTV recording? I haven't had any audio sync problems with the latter but haven't yet used the former. I use the AppleTV Automatic setting but it shows the same output settings as does the High setting for the videos I've exported.

It's from a ripped tv show dvd I used mac the ripper to rip.

Why does the elgato turbo not work with popcorn if you use custom settings ? I have asked roxio support but have yet to get a reply

It's from a ripped tv show dvd I used mac the ripper to rip.

Why does the elgato turbo not work with popcorn if you use custom settings ? I have asked roxio support but have yet to get a reply

Under the Popcorn 3 Help menu is an item called Provide Feedback. I agree it would be nice to use custom settings with the Turbo, especially since ElGato's software allows custom settings.

You say the audio went out of sync about halfway through. Was it gradually going out of sync from the start or did this happen in a short span and then stay about the same afterward? If it is the latter then I'd say it was a fluke or a problem Popcorn 3 had with that VIDEO_TS folder which ElGato's software handled okay.

If the audio continuously moved farther out of sync from the start then that likely relates to Popcorn misinterpreting the source video's frame rate.

I'm experiencing the same problem. Audio is out of sync until the very end of the video. I'm exporting High Quality for iPod, not Apple TV.

Every audio track is off.

Anyone with any clues?

I'm experiencing the same problem. Audio is out of sync until the very end of the video. I'm exporting High Quality for iPod, not Apple TV.

Every audio track is off.

Anyone with any clues?

I have this issue with Toast as well - it is so annoying I have had to abandon Toast and buy MovieGate - I now get perfectly synced DVDs from my EyeTV source. Why Roxio still can't get it right over three major versions of Toast is beyond me.

I am authoring in PAL, using EyeTV recordings (MPEG 2) as my source.

I'm having the same problem. I have a new iMac, and am trying to export Tivo shows to play on my ipod. Every time I convert any Tivo show to ipod format, it results in an incredibly annoying audio delay. Any suggestions? Is there anything I can change on the custom menu maybe?

Thanks!

I've just upgraded to Popcorn 3 and this audio this is driving me crazy. The first two minutes seem to be OK but from them on it's downhill all the way. It doesn't matter what type of file. I've downloaded files from the apple site and saved them for my iPod on TV quality, iPhone, P2P files, all with the same result.

What's taking Roxio so long to address this issue?

I've just gone back to using Popcorn 2, which is a pity because I really liked the new additions in 3.

Hey all,

I've been trying to convert .TiVo files to different formats and even to DVD. No matter what the format is, I end up with audio out of sync with the video. I have noticed that my files or DVD's start out of sync and the closer the program gets to the end, the closer the audio and video get in sync. The longer the program, the more out of sync it starts. Looks like I'm one of those individuals to which PatatRox is referring to in the 3.0.2 update post.

If I can provide any more info, let me know. :D

Brian Palmer

Just downloaded it and tried to export a Tivo video using the standard Video iPod setting. Unfortunately, with the same result - audio out of sync. Has anyone else tried it with better results?
Edited by Brian Palmer

Hey there Popcorn users,

You are not alone with the audio sync problem. There's an ongoing thread over in the TivoToGo for Mac forum (http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=28792) where users of Toast and Popcorn in connection with Tivo are encountering the same problem. We were all forced to upgrade to the latest versions of Toast and Popcorn to resolve a recent problem with a Tivo software update, but many of us are now finding the "fix" to be almost as problematic as the bug it was meant to address.

I don't have any suggestions at this time, just wanted to let you know that you might watch that conversation too in case something helpful comes up.

Doug G.

Is anything being done to address this? I had given up on Popcorn for some time now, but am again trying to make use of it. Seems the issue is still there. It is extremely frustrating. Is anyone using Popcorn3.0.2 and NOT having audio sync problems?

I'm running Popcorn 3.0.2 and Leopard 10.5.1 on an Intel Mac Mini.

-Scott

Edit: This evening I decided transcode a movie that was problematic in Popcorn using Tivo Decode Manager. It worked flawlessly. Even automatically added the file to iTunes with description data and to the movie section no less.

I wish I had bought Popcorn in a box now and not as a digital download. It would be going back.

I think I'll stick to Tivo Decode Manager for now until I see Roxio doing something about all the Problems with Popcorn.

As I have said before. I will never recommend another Roxio product.

Edited by Griz

Hey Scott,

I understand your frustration. I now use Popcorn's TivoToGo to transfer my shows from the TiVo to my Mac and then use TiVo Decode Manager on it. From there I use VisualHub to convert it to whatever format I need without any audio/video sync issues. Currently I cannot produce any output from Popcorn, using a TiVo file as it's source, that doesn't render a file that has audio/video sync issue. This is unfortunate as I purchased Popcorn specifically for it's ability to handle TiVo files and convert them to different formats. I was even tossing around the idea of upgrading to Toast 8 for a complete CD/DVD and Tivo handling package, but at this point, I think I'll wait.

Brian Palmer

Is anything being done to address this? I had given up on Popcorn for some time now, but am again trying to make use of it. Seems the issue is still there. It is extremely frustrating. Is anyone using Popcorn3.0.2 and NOT having audio sync problems?

I'm running Popcorn 3.0.2 and Leopard 10.5.1 on an Intel Mac Mini.

-Scott

Edit: This evening I decided transcode a movie that was problematic in Popcorn using Tivo Decode Manager. It worked flawlessly. Even automatically added the file to iTunes with description data and to the movie section no less.

I wish I had bought Popcorn in a box now and not as a digital download. It would be going back.

I think I'll stick to Tivo Decode Manager for now until I see Roxio doing something about all the Problems with Popcorn.

As I have said before. I will never recommend another Roxio product.

Hey Scott,

I understand your frustration. I now use Popcorn's TivoToGo to transfer my shows from the TiVo to my Mac and then use TiVo Decode Manager on it. From there I use VisualHub to convert it to whatever format I need without any audio/video sync issues.

Brian Palmer

I didn't realize you can use Tivo Decode Manager on existing Tivo Files. How exactly do you do that?

Is Visual Hub worth getting? Isn't this a pay for product as well? Popcorn has the potential to be an all in one Tivo to iTunes to AppleTV solution which is what I want it for. However, the workflow is poor and broken at this point. It really baffles me that a company can sell a product and have it be this bad at what it purports to do.

-Scott

Scott,

Visual Hub is quite inexpensive and in my opinion, very much worth getting. I also picked up a script called TiVo Decoder that utilizes the TiVoDecode program for conversion. You just drop your TiVo files on the script to convert them to mpg. Then I use Visual Hub to convert to any other format I may need. The TiVo Decoder might be all you need until Popcorn can encode to other formats without the sync issue. However, even after using TiVo Decoder to convert to mpg I still get audio sync issues with Popcorn 3, hence my use of Visual Hub. I really do like Popcorn. It just isn't doing its job yet, but I'm still looking forward to the day I can use it!

Brian Palmer

I didn't realize you can use Tivo Decode Manager on existing Tivo Files. How exactly do you do that?

Is Visual Hub worth getting? Isn't this a pay for product as well? Popcorn has the potential to be an all in one Tivo to iTunes to AppleTV solution which is what I want it for. However, the workflow is poor and broken at this point. It really baffles me that a company can sell a product and have it be this bad at what it purports to do.

-Scott

If the audio gets more out of sync over time then maybe a possible workaround is the same as I found for DivX exports awhile back. In the custom setting change the frame rate from 30 (or 29.97 fps) to 25 fps. This could be a worthless suggestion so let me know if it made any difference.

Scott,

Visual Hub is quite inexpensive and in my opinion, very much worth getting. I also picked up a script called TiVo Decoder that utilizes the TiVoDecode program for conversion. You just drop your TiVo files on the script to convert them to mpg. Then I use Visual Hub to convert to any other format I may need. The TiVo Decoder might be all you need until Popcorn can encode to other formats without the sync issue. However, even after using TiVo Decoder to convert to mpg I still get audio sync issues with Popcorn 3, hence my use of Visual Hub. I really do like Popcorn. It just isn't doing its job yet, but I'm still looking forward to the day I can use it!

Brian Palmer

Perhaps I'll try that route. I have been using Tivo Decode Manager lately to download and convert directly to MP4. It also adds to iTunes automatically. The part that I like about Popcorn is the automatic tivo transfer. I was hoping for the Holy Grail of workflows which is that Popcorn automatically pulls the show down, converts it and adds it to iTunes. I then have my Tivo set to delete shows after 3 days. The AppleTV becomes my interface to all my TV shows, music and Movies.

-Scott

Scott,

Brian Palmer

So do we just have to wait until Roxio fixes this issue at some indefinite point in the future? Is there any way to let them know directly other than through this message board?

It would be nice to use the product...

So do we just have to wait until Roxio fixes this issue at some indefinite point in the future? Is there any way to let them know directly other than through this message board?

It would be nice to use the product...

There's a Provide Feedback link under the Help menu in Popcorn 3.

Although it is irritating (and galling that such an obvious error is not addressed), there is a solution. I dug it up somewhere, and upon testing it does work:

SOLUTION:

Change your frame rate to 24fps rather than letting Popcorns set it at the 29 and change. It seems that the video is encoded faster than the audio. Changing it to the std. 24fps corrects it, and the video is now in sync. Make sure you aren't letting the program set the rate.

You can reach it through PREFERENCES, in the Video tab. Just hit custom... next to the Quality setting. For example, if you started with an AppleTV conversion or whatever as a baseline, then it will now read Apple TV Custom

SIDE COMMENT:

On my part, and a solution I am looking for, is a simple matter of how to save this "Custom" setting, and make it the default. It reverts every time, and I have to manually set it. Now, I'm looking for an automatic workflow to get things from my TiVo to the Movies folder, where FrontRow can access it.

Which, of course, brings up: Why does the Toast Video Player... based on the EyeTV player for cripes' sake, NOT recognize the Apple Remote? This is actually the only reason I even care about auto-conversion -- to use Front Row because of this deficiency. I'm not much of an archiver of tv shows. And I want it painless.

I have tried the above many different ways and it does not work for me. I bought Popcorn as a digital download and have requested a refund which is suppose to be on the way. In case others are interested I'll post when my refund shows up.

Edit: MY refund came through ... if your having audio problems I suggest returning it and waiting until it is fixed.

Edited by Gully