Dvd Capacity\iso File

dk5290

Question

Just when I thought it was save to go back in the water!

After a month I was thinking I finally have this all figured out, now this. I burn my projects to an ISO file then use disc copier to burn the projects to a 4.7 GB DVD-R (two different brands). If I get the movie under 60 mins. the movie plays on all three stand alone DVD players. If I make the movie 60 mins or over (1hr. 25mins.) it will only play on one of the three stand alone DVD players. They all play fine on my computer DVD player. Any thoughts??

Next, how many minutes of video can I but on a 4.7 GB DVD-R disc and still get a good quality picture. All the movies I burned so far are good quality.

Next, what is the differents between hardware rendering vs. software rendering. Right now my program is set to software rendering.

14 answers to this question

I agree about the why. :) In most cases with issues related to computers, I don't even try to figure out why. I just look at the issue and try to resolve it. Since you made the iso OK and it played on your computer and one player then it should play on the others. There is something about the others that is different. They played the other discs that are this format (+R or -R) so that can't be it. What else is there? Actually, this type of problem was posted probably a year ago and I remember the cure. The was an old Start Trek episode where the tag line was "it is illogical" so it must not be happening. You can't fool mother nature.

The graphic's card is SiS 661 FX. Yes, I have the most updated driver for it. Also have DirectX 9 and have run DxDiag. Everything checked out fine.

I'll try the CD/DVD cleaner. Never thought about cleaning a CD/DVD player. I just can't figure out why the length of the movie would make a difference?

Just for the sake of it I slowed down the burn speed on Disc Copier to the slowest setting 2x. Guess what, it worked! I was able to copy and play my 1hr. 25min. disc on all the stand alone DVD players with no problems. Who would have thought. I still plan on cleaning my DVD players. Thanks again for all the help.

Run a disc check utility on the earlier disc's in dvdinfopro or cddvdspeed free download Google. See if the pie ,pif, and pof errors and failures are higher on the disc's you burned at the higher speed compared to the lower speed. If they are I would suspect the media. Or your burner don't like them or have a good write strategy for that media. My opinion I don't think much of or buy that media.

"I using Memorex 4.7 DVD-R and Maxell 4.7 DVD-R. Does the same thing on both brands of disc"

cdanteek

I remeber those Star Trek shows ( the originals. I'm showing my age). I'm going to get a DVD cleaner tomorrow and give that a try. I'm also going to try them out on a few more stand alone DVD Players. Thank you everyone for all the help and suggestions.

Just for the sake of it I slowed down the burn speed on Disc Copier to the slowest setting 2x. Guess what, it worked! I was able to copy and play my 1hr. 25min. disc on all the stand alone DVD players with no problems. Who would have thought. I still plan on cleaning my DVD players. Thanks again for all the help.

One hour of programming at "good quality" w/ a regular burn

Hardware rendering is better.

What type of file is being used and describe the method how you created the ISO.

With the ISO that you created you should be okay, yet maybe your stand alond dvd players may be picky.

Next, how many minutes of video can I but on a 4.7 GB DVD-R disc and still get a good quality picture.

That's somewhat subjective. What I consider 'good' quality, you may not. For my personal taste, I would never put more than two hours on a 4.7gig DVD.

Not sure why those discs would not play if the one hour discs would. Doesn't make much sense.

hardware rendering vs. software rendering

The major difference will be the 3D transitions and some special effects will not be available. Videowave and MyDVD 8 can now take advantage of better video cards by literally off-loading the processing to the video card's GPU. I understand it only does this for the more complex things like 3D transitions, etc.

I would be happy if I could get an hour and a half of video on a 4.7 GB DVD. The procees I use is this:

1. I edit the movie in Videowave then send it to MyDVD and then save the project.

2. From MyDVD I burn the project to an ISO file.

3. I then close everything and open Disc copier. I copy the ISO file to the disc.

4. The disc works on the computer DVD player but only one of the stand alone players. (Movie is 1hr 25min)

5. I go back to MyDVD and load the project up, go to Videowave shorten the movie so it's under 58mins. burn it to a new ISO file. Close everything then use disc copier to burn the new ISO to same brand of disc. This disc works on the computer and all three stand alones. Does it with both brands of disc I use.

It's got me baffled.

I'm not using any special effects.

I using Memorex 4.7 DVD-R and Maxell 4.7 DVD-R. Does the same thing on both brands of disc.

Perhaps there is a little dust on those two other players. If they are older and the laser is worn, it is possible that they just can't see the burns correctly. Try blowing out the players with dry compressed air (get it from radio shack or other). Be careful, you don't know what could have crawled into those units. As an alternate, buy a cd/DVD cleaning disc. This is essentially a cd with little brushes glued to one side. Run as per the instructions. You can get these almost any place (Radio Shack, WalMart, Target etc)..

The graphic's card is SiS 661 FX. Yes, I have the most updated driver for it. Also have DirectX 9 and have run DxDiag. Everything checked out fine.

I'll try the CD/DVD cleaner. Never thought about cleaning a CD/DVD player. I just can't figure out why the length of the movie would make a difference?

Archived