• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

TRANSITIONS

varadero

Question

:lol:

Good morning

Working environment;EMC9,VIDEOWAVE,TIMELINE

I need some guidance for the following problem

After 'trimming' a clip I am adding /inserting a transition (in front of the clip)

I then ,while reading the result ,notice that the clip will freeze for approx 2 seconds...

This 'freeze' was not there prior the trim.

Can someone help

Thanks

Varadero

10 answers to this question

:o

I am working with wmv type

This problem (this is happening on various part of my production) seems to occur when I am trimming my clip and adding/ replacing/trimming transition and happening with various one . I don't have empty panel after looking in the storyline.

Obviously there nothing wrong with the transition itself (my understanding)More a timing issue.

I then added (as suggested) a color panel which last approx 5 sec.This addition was made in the storyline view and after the transition (before the clip).

Then the reading of the clip was smooth ,no freeze.

But I am stuck with a color panel,I can see now the cursor freezing over the color panel..

The clip in question is in mute mode would this have an impact....

Any other ideas.....

Many thanks and tank you for your patience

VARADERO

Up until now I thought you were talking about a production containing only one movie file and that you were adding a transtion before it. But as you are now mentioning 'several parts of my production' I've got somehat confused. Does your production contain just one object (movie or picture file) or several (each would appear on a separate panel in story line view)?

If you have several objects (movie or picture files) in your production, are you talking about a transition added between two objects, or about a transition added before the very first one? The empty panel would only be created if you add a transition before the very first object. The empty panel would then show as panel 1 in story line view, with all the objects (movie or picture files) in your production moved over to the following panels. The empty panel is created because a transition has to have an object (panel or file) on either side of it. Adding a transition between two existing objects (movie or picture files) does not create an empty panel, since those transitions already have an object on either side.

The discussion about adding a colour panel was only concerned with a transition added before the very first object (movie or picture file), and only if the empty panel that is created needs to be temporarily replaced with an object (colour panel) whose duration can be changed, so as to enable one to increase the duration of that transition. In those circumatances, after it has been added, the colour panel may need to be dragged to the left of the transition, so that the transition is between the colour panel and the movie, i.e. the colour panel replaces the empty one. Then, when the duration of the transition has been changed to what you want, the colour panel can be deleted. It will be replaced by an empty panel whose duration matches that set for the transition.

If you are talking about a transition between existing objects (movie or picture files), the addition of a colour panel is irrelevant, since you can adjust the duration of the transition directly, .

In any case, I've tried again with .wmv files, muted and unmuted, trimmed and untrimmed, different types of transition, either before the very first file or between files or both and I cannot reproduce what you observe. The production plays smoothly from the beginning in all the tests I've done.

You did not say what transition(s) you use. If you specify which ones, and what durations you have set them to, I can check again. It may be a problem that only occurs under very specific circumstances, and so to try to reproduce it, I would need to have all the exact details.

The other things you could try, when you experience the problem, is to save the production as a Videowave production (.dmsm file), close Videowave, open Videowave, then file menu, open production, add the production. See if it now plays smoothly. The reason for suggesting that is because the preview in Videowave does occasionally stutter depending on what files are in the production and/or how much editing has been done in the session (maybe it gets tired...). Saving and reloading the production could help.

Alternatively, output the production to a file, e.g. an mpeg 2 format, see if that file plays smoothly in, say, WMP. Again, sometimes even though the production does not seemto play smoothly in Videowave, it does so when exported.

I have tried, but cannot reproduce the effect you state. I trimmed several seconds from the beginning of a clip, added the aeroplane transition in front of it, and there was no lag or freeze, it just played smoothly. .Also tried a few other transitions, no freeze with any of the ones I tried.

What transition are you using? Did you edit its properties (duration)?

What file type (encoding: divx, mpeg or whatever) is the clip you're trimming?

Please also post your PC specs (best done in the signature, so it is conveniently there in each post).

I have tried, but cannot reproduce the effect you state. I trimmed several seconds from the beginning of a clip, added the aeroplane transition in front of it, and there was no lag or freeze, it just played smoothly. .Also tried a few other transitions, no freeze with any of the ones I tried.

Please also post your PC specs (best done in the signature, so it is conveniently there in each post).

I also tried reproducing the problem Jean. But I did find out a few things that happened:

First, I opened up Videowave. Then added a video file (10 minutes or so which was an avi file). Then I added the "airplane" transition. In doing so I chose the option "Add/Replace Transition Before Current Panel" and clicked on O.K. After that I noticed that it placed a blank panel # 1 before the transition.

You cannot delete this # 1 panel OR change it's duration time with the trim Icon. ?? Then I tried changing the duration time of the "Airplane" transition and it would not allow me to change it from the default time of 0.63 seconds. ???

Oddly enough, the production played all O.K. except for the short duration of the blank panel # 1 (was pretty fast but have no idea what the time was as you can't use the Trim Icon on panle # 1) After it passes up panel 1 the transition goes by terribly fast (0.63 seconds it way to fast and you can't change it), but then the video plays very well.

Frank...

:o

I am working with wmv type

This problem (this is happening on various part of my production) seems to occur when I am trimming my clip and adding/ replacing/trimming transition and happening with various one . I don't have empty panel after looking in the storyline.

Obviously there nothing wrong with the transition itself (my understanding)More a timing issue.

I then added (as suggested) a color panel which last approx 5 sec.This addition was made in the storyline view and after the transition (before the clip).

Then the reading of the clip was smooth ,no freeze.

But I am stuck with a color panel,I can see now the cursor freezing over the color panel..

The clip in question is in mute mode would this have an impact....

Any other ideas.....

Many thanks and tank you for your patience

VARADERO

Yes, a transition, by definition has to be between two objects. If you go to story line, right click anywhere in the panels area, click find panel, you see that the empty panel, the transition and the clip all start at the same time (0.02 sec), and the duration of the empty panel is the same as the (apparently fixed default) duration of the transition (I haven't checked but this may be different for different transitions). You can reduce the transition length but not increase it.

That makes sense: the empty panel and the video overlap for the duration of the transition. The empty panel is created with a duration equal to the default of the transition and the latter cannot exceed the duration of the object preceeding it.

A trick I've found to increase the duration of that first transition: Add a clip (or colour panel of sufficient duration, anything really, the duration has to be at least as long as that you want for the transition) after the empty panel and drag it to replace that so that the transition comes between the two clips. Now, you can lengthen the transition duration. Then select the clip ahead of the transition, right click, click delete. A warning comes up asking whether you also want to delete the transition and telling you that unless you do so, an empty panel will be created ahead of it. Click no, don't delete the transition. Now the empty panel's duration is the same as the (extended) duration you had set for the transition.

PS a good one to try is billboard. It defaults to 1,04 sec, but afer using my trick I could change that to 5 or more.

However none of this answers the query that varadero posed: he stated the freeze only occurred if he trimmed the clip, not otherwise. I can't see how that would affect the behaviour of the transition or the smoothness of play.

Good stuff Jean. Funny you mentioned placing a color panel or something else in that # 1 blank slide. I say that as after I had done a couple of tests, I did that very same thing you are suggesting and found out how to change the duration times. That is a work around for what I experienced. But I never did experience the lag that the OP says he has however and I did do the "trimming" of the video as he did so it would resimble the same effect, if any.

Frank...

:lol:

Good morning

Working environment;EMC9,VIDEOWAVE,TIMELINE

I need some guidance for the following problem

After 'trimming' a clip I am adding /inserting a transition (in front of the clip)

I then ,while reading the result ,notice that the clip will freeze for approx 2 seconds...

This 'freeze' was not there prior the trim.

Can someone help

Thanks

Varadero

The freeze for two seconds may simply be because of the preview as well as the other things mentioned.. You can try outputting the to an mpg2 file and then watching that with something like WMV. The preview is low quality and subject to a lot of variations.

Up until now I thought you were talking about a production containing only one movie file and that you were adding a transtion before it. But as you are now mentioning 'several parts of my production' I've got somehat confused. Does your production contain just one object (movie or picture file) or several (each would appear on a separate panel in story line view)?

If you have several objects (movie or picture files) in your production, are you talking about a transition added between two objects, or about a transition added before the very first one? The empty panel would only be created if you add a transition before the very first object. The empty panel would then show as panel 1 in story line view, with all the objects (movie or picture files) in your production moved over to the following panels. The empty panel is created because a transition has to have an object (panel or file) on either side of it. Adding a transition between two existing objects (movie or picture files) does not create an empty panel, since those transitions already have an object on either side.

The discussion about adding a colour panel was only concerned with a transition added before the very first object (movie or picture file), and only if the empty panel that is created needs to be temporarily replaced with an object (colour panel) whose duration can be changed, so as to enable one to increase the duration of that transition. In those circumatances, after it has been added, the colour panel may need to be dragged to the left of the transition, so that the transition is between the colour panel and the movie, i.e. the colour panel replaces the empty one. Then, when the duration of the transition has been changed to what you want, the colour panel can be deleted. It will be replaced by an empty panel whose duration matches that set for the transition.

If you are talking about a transition between existing objects (movie or picture files), the addition of a colour panel is irrelevant, since you can adjust the duration of the transition directly, .

In any case, I've tried again with .wmv files, muted and unmuted, trimmed and untrimmed, different types of transition, either before the very first file or between files or both and I cannot reproduce what you observe. The production plays smoothly from the beginning in all the tests I've done.

You did not say what transition(s) you use. If you specify which ones, and what durations you have set them to, I can check again. It may be a problem that only occurs under very specific circumstances, and so to try to reproduce it, I would need to have all the exact details.

The other things you could try, when you experience the problem, is to save the production as a Videowave production (.dmsm file), close Videowave, open Videowave, then file menu, open production, add the production. See if it now plays smoothly. The reason for suggesting that is because the preview in Videowave does occasionally stutter depending on what files are in the production and/or how much editing has been done in the session (maybe it gets tired...). Saving and reloading the production could help.

Alternatively, output the production to a file, e.g. an mpeg 2 format, see if that file plays smoothly in, say, WMP. Again, sometimes even though the production does not seemto play smoothly in Videowave, it does so when exported.

Good morning ,

Sorry for the delay my PC (brand new)crashed on me.

Sorry for the confusion yes i am working with a production with multiple clips and transitions are between those clips.The transitions were =x_close double ,page turn diagonal and clock wipe left; timing were between 1.9 sec to 4.5 secs.

Thanks for your answer

I did output to mpeg 2 format and production did play smoothly. Meanwhile I received reply from Roxio advising to remove and re install EMC 9 . Which I did anyway with this crash and now my production plays smoothly.

Thanks again

Varadero

Archived