I'm Getting That Stupid "installing Dao" Problem.

rickchicorli@shaw.ca

Question

I clicked on "Edit Video" under "DVD & Video" today and kept getting windows trying to install DAO. I saw this topic on the old boards but searching for just DAO doesn't work. (The search is really dumb on this new board.)

I kind of recall perhaps some sort of registry solution.

I ask the mighty list members for help. You guys seem to know almost all. And I thank you.

7 answers to this question

Thanks. I tried the search again and found matches. I'm not normally this stupid you know. I guess I'm still getting used to this new style forum.

I'll try fixing my problem now.

Not stupid, and no need to appologize, this is learning experience for everyone! You wouldn't believe some of the mistakes I made on the administration side :huh:

:)

Thanks. I no longer have the DAO problem. It was installed as part of my ATI All-In-Wonder install. I'll see if anything happens there.

I like the chapter setting for videos in MyDVD. Now that I've tried that I will continue to use it. I was previously not putting any chapters in.

Now my biggest complaint is the rendering speed. Other products I used before (PowerProducer2) went wayyyyyyyyy faster.

Now my biggest complaint is the rendering speed. Other products I used before (PowerProducer2) went wayyyyyyyyy faster.

Rendering speed depends on alot of factors. Rendering is very CPU intense so processor speed will affect it. What type of file used. Do you have background processes running. Defrag the hard drive. How much editing did you do? Transitions, effects, overlays, etc., will add more rendering time. ANYTHING that interrupts the CPU can and will affect your rendering time.

Faster may not always be 'better'. Personally, I look for quality first and speed second. I've been testing other software and the average on my desktop below is about 3 hours to render a simple one hour DV AVI video file with menu. There were no edits, no transitions or effects added. Using 4 different programs, they were all fairly close the same in rendering time. I've yet to compare the 'quality'.

I clicked on "Edit Video" under "DVD & Video" today and kept getting windows trying to install DAO. I saw this topic on the old boards but searching for just DAO doesn't work. (The search is really dumb on this new board.)

I kind of recall perhaps some sort of registry solution.

I ask the mighty list members for help. You guys seem to know almost all. And I thank you.

I searched and found 7 instances of DAO in the forum....most likely you didn't select 'all forums'.

Anyway, uninstall from your control panel and reboot......it's gone.

Rendering speed depends on alot of factors. Rendering is very CPU intense so processor speed will affect it. What type of file used. Do you have background processes running. Defrag the hard drive. How much editing did you do? Transitions, effects, overlays, etc., will add more rendering time. ANYTHING that interrupts the CPU can and will affect your rendering time.

Faster may not always be 'better'. Personally, I look for quality first and speed second. I've been testing other software and the average on my desktop below is about 3 hours to render a simple one hour DV AVI video file with menu. There were no edits, no transitions or effects added. Using 4 different programs, they were all fairly close the same in rendering time. I've yet to compare the 'quality'.

I have an Athlon 2600 chip. 768 MB RAM. While rendering I see that my CPU time is 100% and not all of my memory is used.

To create a DVD of 3 42 - 44 minute AVI files takes about 10 hours at best fit. No menus. No nothin'!!!

I won't be upgrading hardware now from what I understand, to go to something like an Athlon 64 I need a new motherboard, etc. So I'll just wait to upgrade.

I tend to burn DVDs overnight or when I go to work.

Nothing else running. Hard drive was reformatted less than 3 weeks ago.

Archived