Drag to Disc

kanga

Question

chanseng: DVD-RAM may introduce other problems, so go slowly into that area. It was the very first Burner format introduced but with some exceptions, it has never lived up to promise… Probably why it was completely overwhelmed by DVD 'dash' and 'plus'. It has only recently edged back on the scene. I suspect its' comeback is due to manufacture price breaks more than any advantage to the user.

Your current D2D discs should prove readable on every XP & Vista PC. You can't write to them, but they should be readable.

And best of all if you still want to gamble with losing all of your data, Vista has a packet writer built in!

Thanks for your advice.

If you are just burning data files, pick data disk. If you have media files, such as video clips, photos, and audio files, you can choose Multimedia disc. I just burn them as data.

As was stated before, if you want to make a multi-session disc, when you hit the Burn button, uncheck the box to the left of Read Only. Burn your data, and at a later date, when you want to add more, open Creator Classic, put your existing data disc in your burner, and you should get a balloon that pops up that tells you to click on it to bring in your last session. You then add your new data, and burn it to the same disc.

When you are going to burn your last session, because the disc will be filled up, after you add the final data, when you click on Burn, put a check in the Read Only box. Once you burn the last session, the disc will be closed.

I had no idea you could use Creator Classic to do this. I knew you could use it (and I do) to back up stuff. I did not know you could use the same disc over and over until full. I thought you had to use some sort of RW discs for that. Will this work with DVD discs +/-, CD+R discs as well as CD-R? (I know I am in the EMC 10 forum, but will this work in my EMC 9.1?)

Frank

Oh , I didn'tknow. I thought that by upgrading from version 7 all features would remain but be updated. So whats the best way to copy individual files to a cd-r and be able to append to the disk?

Regards Kanga

As was always the case, use Creator Classic. Be sure to uncheck the Read Only box in the burn options.

Since Packet-Writing is notorious for being fussy at best, and unreliable at worst - if you can still read your Drag-to-Disc CDs it'd be a good idea to copy the data to fresh, UNFORMATTED CDs with Classic Creator.

Actually, having multiple copies of backups is a good idea anyway.

Lynn

So will creator classic allow me to burn various file formats (ie jpeg, wma, text files) to cd-r and allow me to keep adding to that same disk on different sessions?

Yes it will, but keep in mind that there is some overhead involved with each session you add, approximately 10MB per session. So, you may want to let some of your files collect on your HD and add enough to "make it worthwhile", not just one file for each session.

Yes, you can copy any file type to a data CD in Creator classic. By default it excludes system files, but you can change that in the project settings.

To allow multiple sessions on the same CD-R, after you click burn, in the burn set up window that opens, make sure that read only is unchecked. Also remember to import previous sessions before adding a new session.

EDIT:

Several of us were typing/posting more or less simultaneously. Apologies for repetitive info.

so when i have to choose a project does it matter which option i choose? (ie data or multimedia disk.) How are files copied to the disk without closing the disk and then how do i close the disk when i have finihed with that particular disk?

ok thanks for that info. You answered my question even before i had asked it.

so when i have to choose a project does it matter which option i choose? (ie data or multimedia disk.) How are files copied to the disk without closing the disk and then how do i close the disk when i have finihed with that particular disk?

ok thanks for that info. You answered my question even before i had asked it.

If you are just burning data files, pick data disk. If you have media files, such as video clips, photos, and audio files, you can choose Multimedia disc. I just burn them as data.

As was stated before, if you want to make a multi-session disc, when you hit the Burn button, uncheck the box to the left of Read Only. Burn your data, and at a later date, when you want to add more, open Creator Classic, put your existing data disc in your burner, and you should get a balloon that pops up that tells you to click on it to bring in your last session. You then add your new data, and burn it to the same disc.

When you are going to burn your last session, because the disc will be filled up, after you add the final data, when you click on Burn, put a check in the Read Only box. Once you burn the last session, the disc will be closed.

There's an "overhead" of around 10MB for each additonal session, and you DO need to bring forward the TOC [Table of Contents] so you can find the previous files without having to resort to a third-party recovery program (currently the default is to bring the OC forward).

But it's far safer than using Packet-Writng, which can be fussy at best and fail for any reason or none at all.

As far as writing to disc goes, there is no difference between R and RW media - if you "delete" a file you merely delete it from the TOC. You don't get any space back, except with RW media you can erase the ENTIRE disc and start over.

Of course, RW media, by virtue of the same qualites that make it erasable, will fade out over time. It is fine for testing, and transferring data when the original is safely on the original computer, but NOT anything you want to use for archiving.

Lynn

Archived