Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, now HD-VMD

marlinsinger

Can it get any more of a mess for HD movies. A late comer in the confusion. HD-VMD. Doesn't even use a blue laser.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,136977-c...ms/article.html

Next month, New Medium Enterprises' 1080p set-top players, which use the HD VMD (Versatile Multilayer Disc) format, will go on sale on Amazon.com and in stores such as Radio Shack and Costco for around $150--about half the cost of the least-expensive 1080p HD DVD player, and perhaps a fourth the cost of the least-expensive Blu-ray player. The movies that work in them are similarly inexpensive.

To bad this wasn't out earlier.

Here we go again :lol:

Back to the VCR days - everybody knows about the slugging match between VHS and Betamax - just as the dust was settling, along comes Philips with a THIRD standard - the V2000. Nice system, worked great and even had reversible cassettes (record 4 hours on one side, take it out, flip it round, put it back and get another 4 hours)

It faded out very fast, followed shortly after by Beta

Here we go again :lol:

Back to the VCR days - everybody knows about the slugging match between VHS and Betamax - just as the dust was settling, along comes Philips with a THIRD standard - the V2000. Nice system, worked great and even had reversible cassettes (record 4 hours on one side, take it out, flip it round, put it back and get another 4 hours)

It faded out very fast, followed shortly after by Beta

I still have two Betamax VCR's and many many tapes for them. Beta was better. ;)

I still have two Betamax VCR's and many many tapes for them. Beta was better. ;)

Bet you can get a lot of $$ for one of those players if it is in working order. There are some people who have hung onto betamax cassettes in hopes of finding a player. I did for years; threw them out about a year ago. :(

Archived