Editing Pictures?

WMG

Question

I just bought a new computer with Vista. I figured that I should take the time to upgrade to EMC 9 (I had an old MC7 on my old computer). According to Dell, EMC would allow me to edit pictures, etc. -- my major use of MC7. The computer came with two different installation disks. I have tried both. Neither one seems to give me access to "enhancing photos".

Under one of the installations (MyDVD 9.0 DE), it suggests that I need to upgrade to have the capabilities to edit photos. This wasn't my understanding of the program that Dell was supposed to deliver.

The other installation (Roxio Creator & MyDVD 9.0 Premier) just seems to be missing the appropriate menus to fix pictures.

The online help actually sends me to a video that displays the old MC7 system (which looks very familiar).

Is this a Vista problem or a Roxio problem? Is it simply that I need to upgrade to get Photosuite (which seems unfair since Dell's description of EMC9 included editing photos).

Is there any chance that my old version of MC7 would actually work in Vista? I don't really need anything fancy but I really liked many of the MC7 features for editing photos.

8 answers to this question

I'm not sure what suite you're talking about - the Dell; version of Easy Media Creator 9 is a cut down version supplied by Dell

You say you have that and also 'Roxio Creator & MyDVD 9.0 Premier' - but while there is a My DVD 9 Premier, this is also bundled in EMC, but the suite doesn;t have that in the title - in fact, I can't think of any suite with that name.

If you are using EMC9, then you have to remove the original Dell one completely - there are pinned posts on doing that (just do a search for 'clean install') and then re-install EMC9

I'm not sure what suite you're talking about - the Dell; version of Easy Media Creator 9 is a cut down version supplied by Dell

You say you have that and also 'Roxio Creator & MyDVD 9.0 Premier' - but while there is a My DVD 9 Premier, this is also bundled in EMC, but the suite doesn;t have that in the title - in fact, I can't think of any suite with that name.

If you are using EMC9, then you have to remove the original Dell one completely - there are pinned posts on doing that (just do a search for 'clean install') and then re-install EMC9

Thanks for the reply. Dell's marketing certainly doesn't suggest that it is a cut down version of EMC9. They charged me $80 for something called "Roxio 9.0 Creator Premier". It was listed in a section called "Burn & Digital Editing Software". I assumed that it would be a lot like my old version of Media Creator 7 (except new & improved).

When I got the computer, the Roxio program was not pre-installed. It came with 2 CDs (and no instructions). The CDs were titled:

Roxio Creator & MyDVD 9.0 Premier

Roxio Creator & MyDVD 9.0 DE

I've tried to install both of them. Each one seems to "uninstall" many of the programs from the other. It does look like it has capabilities to burn video to DVD (I can't check this yet since I need to get an IEEE firewall cable since the computer did not recognize the USB cable from my Sony Handycam for video).

I guess if they are selling some sort of reduced version, I should complain to Dell -- not a topic for here I suppose. I doubt that I will get very far. I guess my question becomes: what do I need to buy so that I can edit pictures? Can I just add Photosuite from Roxio to what Dell sent? It looks like this costs around $30. Or, do I need to look for a completely different program?

This gets even more confusing - Photosuite is part of the full EMC 9 package and, if Dell are supposed to have sent you EMC9, it should be there

Great. I'll call Dell. I was starting to think that I was going crazy. I'll let you know if I learn something useful.

Thanks for the reply. Dell's marketing certainly doesn't suggest that it is a cut down version of EMC9. They charged me $80 for something called "Roxio 9.0 Creator Premier". It was listed in a section called "Burn & Digital Editing Software". I assumed that it would be a lot like my old version of Media Creator 7 (except new & improved).

When I got the computer, the Roxio program was not pre-installed. It came with 2 CDs (and no instructions). The CDs were titled:

Roxio Creator & MyDVD 9.0 Premier

Roxio Creator & MyDVD 9.0 DE

I've tried to install both of them. Each one seems to "uninstall" many of the programs from the other. It does look like it has capabilities to burn video to DVD (I can't check this yet since I need to get an IEEE firewall cable since the computer did not recognize the USB cable from my Sony Handycam for video).

I guess if they are selling some sort of reduced version, I should complain to Dell -- not a topic for here I suppose. I doubt that I will get very far. I guess my question becomes: what do I need to buy so that I can edit pictures? Can I just add Photosuite from Roxio to what Dell sent? It looks like this costs around $30. Or, do I need to look for a completely different program?

If you were charged $80 by Dell for the cut- down EMC 9 then you were ripped off. You can get the full EMC 9 for much less then that now that EMC 10 is out

If you were charged $80 by Dell for the cut- down EMC 9 then you were ripped off. You can get the full EMC 9 for much less then that now that EMC 10 is out

Well, I got in touch with one of the Dell technical people. He said that the DE version CD is an introductory level product that lasts for a limited time. The "Premier" version CD focuses on the video & DVD capabilities of EMC. He was sympathetic to my problem but couldn't do anything about their stupid marketing.

Dell sells the full EMC 9.0 version for $88.

I ended up in a chat session with a customer service agent. He agreed that the marketing was deceptive and agreed to give me a $60 credit. So, I think that I've now paid $19 for the video chunk of EMC and I'll have to find another solution for editing photos.

I would be happy to buy Photosuite from Roxio but I need to make sure that it works on Vista. Does anyone know if it is compatible?

Thanks very much for your help.

Well, I got in touch with one of the Dell technical people. He said that the DE version CD is an introductory level product that lasts for a limited time. The "Premier" version CD focuses on the video & DVD capabilities of EMC. He was sympathetic to my problem but couldn't do anything about their stupid marketing.

Dell sells the full EMC 9.0 version for $88.

I ended up in a chat session with a customer service agent. He agreed that the marketing was deceptive and agreed to give me a $60 credit. So, I think that I've now paid $19 for the video chunk of EMC and I'll have to find another solution for editing photos.

I would be happy to buy Photosuite from Roxio but I need to make sure that it works on Vista. Does anyone know if it is compatible?

Thanks very much for your help.

The only Photosuite Only (standalone) I see listed on their products page is Photosuite 8, which would not be Vista compatible. Until (and if) they put up a v9 or v10 based Photosuite, the only way to get one that is Vista compatible would be to buy a retail version of EMC 9 or 10 it looks like.

Archived