Movie Segments

Mike Hart

Question

I have a movie I loaded from a VCR Tape. It is made up of old 8mm firms I filmed in Vietnam. When the 8mm films were transferred to VCR, the sequence was in the wrong order. I know how to use chapter tags.

1. How can I rearrange the chapters for viewing in my production, or

2. In Media Creator 9 can I "cut" the movie into separate segments.

Your help is appreciated.

Mike

6 answers to this question

I have a movie I loaded from a VCR Tape. It is made up of old 8mm firms I filmed in Vietnam. When the 8mm films were transferred to VCR, the sequence was in the wrong order. I know how to use chapter tags.

Mike

It is real easy to "cut" your movie into separate segments in VideoWave. Use Timeline mode and select your video. Move the indicator line to where you want to make your cut, use the edit wheet to refine the cut point. Select the movie that appears after the indicator line and up on the task bar click on the split icon. (Move your cursor over the different icons and you will see one that says "Split the selected item".) Then you go to the next point and do the same thing. You just have to remember that after you have selected the cut point, you have to select the video that appears after the indicator. If you want to delete one of the segements, just click on it and delete.

Walter

The OP mentioned using Media Creator 9 . . in my EMC9.1 Deluxe installation, I cannot make the "trim" function work at all. It acts like it is trimming the video, but the "preview" demonstrates that no trimming has actually taken place - and the resulting production does not benefit from the trimming I thought I did. Does MyDVD's "trim" actually work correctly in EMC10?

Yes, but then it also did 9 on my system.

Add the video to your production, then use the trim tool to trim it to a single film. Repeat the process until you have each film in the production as a separate clip.
Interesting Tom. How did you do that since the TRIM function only 'trims' from the end of a file? As far as I know, the TRIM function has never been able to what you just described unless you keep adding the exact same file multiple times with mulitple trims which may work, but why would you do that when the SPLIT function would do the same thing on one file?

It is real easy to "cut" your movie into separate segments in VideoWave. Use Timeline mode and select your video. Move the indicator line to where you want to make your cut, use the edit wheet to refine the cut point. Select the movie that appears after the indicator line and up on the task bar click on the split icon. (Move your cursor over the different icons and you will see one that says "Split the selected item".) Then you go to the next point and do the same thing. You just have to remember that after you have selected the cut point, you have to select the video that appears after the indicator. If you want to delete one of the segements, just click on it and delete.

Walter

Once you have made the splits in Timeline, you can switch back to Storyboard to rearrange the clip order.

Mike

You can do the editing in MyDVD... but you can also do it in VideoWave. Add the video to your production, then use the trim tool to trim it to a single film. Repeat the process until you have each film in the production as a separate clip. You can then rearrange the sequence (the storyboard view will make this especially easy).

Let us know if you run into trouble.

Tom

You can do the editing in MyDVD... but you can also do it in VideoWave. Add the video to your production, then use the trim tool to trim it to a single film. Repeat the process until you have each film in the production as a separate clip. You can then rearrange the sequence (the storyboard view will make this especially easy).

Tom

If the movie is a single file (which I think the OP has) how can the trim tool be used to trim it to a single film.

I would think the Split function is the best way to create the segments and then rearrange them in the Storyline

Tom

The OP mentioned using Media Creator 9 . . in my EMC9.1 Deluxe installation, I cannot make the "trim" function work at all. It acts like it is trimming the video, but the "preview" demonstrates that no trimming has actually taken place - and the resulting production does not benefit from the trimming I thought I did. Does MyDVD's "trim" actually work correctly in EMC10?

Archived