• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 19 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Help!

uscceo

I have windows XP and recordnow 7.2 on my Toshiba notebook--I just see now that when I copy a DVD 4 GB are "lost." I need to find that file name on my hard drive to delete to free up space. I went to chat line and told no longer support for this, try discussion group. You're my only help. PLEEZE!!

I have windows XP and recordnow 7.2 on my Toshiba notebook--I just see now that when I copy a DVD 4 GB are "lost." I need to find that file name on my hard drive to delete to free up space. I went to chat line and told no longer support for this, try discussion group. You're my only help. PLEEZE!!

What do you mean 4GB are lost? You haven't explained yourself very well.

What do you mean 4GB are lost? You haven't explained yourself very well.

Sorry--I am a newbie and not a techie. I noticed 4 less gigabytes on my hard drive AFTER I copied a DVD. My understanding is that this now "old" RecordNow 7.2 stores the 4 gigabytes used to copy the somewhere on my hard drive. I want to know the name of the file so I can go and delete and "free up" this 4 gigabytes.

Thanks very much, and thanks very much for looking at my help plea.

It should be stored in a temp folder, reboot the pc and see if you get the 4 GB back.

cd

Whoops, thought I did respond to you. Nope, after I turned off computer later back on still showed 4 GBs less than before I made the DVD copy. Data disc function stores in My Documents as .pxj file. A search of this showed no such files on my computer.

Whoops, thought I did respond to you. Nope, after I turned off computer later back on still showed 4 GBs less than before I made the DVD copy. Data disc function stores in My Documents as .pxj file. A search of this showed no such files on my computer.

? Did you copy a DVD as a data disc? When was the last time you did maintenance on your computer? (Windows, Select hard drive, select properties and then select clean up?)

? Did you copy a DVD as a data disc? When was the last time you did maintenance on your computer? (Windows, Select hard drive, select properties and then select clean up?)

No, this occurred when I did an EXACT COPY. Put DVD in with a football game on it, HIT COPY. When all done I noted like 4GBs less on my hard drive. I rebooted, still same 4GBs less.

I have done maintenance regularly, computer runs fine, no spyware, not slow, etc. I later did some data discs and no reduction in hard drive. Something must just have happened because I have used this program for several years and would/should have noticed if exact copying of disc would take away 4 GBs. It must be some place. Data disc CAN be saved to My Documents and a .pxj file. Where would saved copy for Exact Copy be saved? Name of file? This is my question. I did this on Sunday and all I can see is maybe under or in Windows file on hard drive somewhere copy (4 GBs) might be.

Any suggestions?

Go into your RecordNow 7.2 where you made the EXACT COPY. Try file, project properties, or tools options. Try and find where the temp or hard drive cache locations are and go look. I have never had your progam and can't tell you the exact location. Most programs don't make hard drive locations only temp ones, unless someone changes it.

cd

No, this occurred when I did an EXACT COPY. Put DVD in with a football game on it, HIT COPY. When all done I noted like 4GBs less on my hard drive. I rebooted, still same 4GBs less.

I have done maintenance regularly, computer runs fine, no spyware, not slow, etc. I later did some data discs and no reduction in hard drive. Something must just have happened because I have used this program for several years and would/should have noticed if exact copying of disc would take away 4 GBs. It must be some place. Data disc CAN be saved to My Documents and a .pxj file. Where would saved copy for Exact Copy be saved? Name of file? This is my question. I did this on Sunday and all I can see is maybe under or in Windows file on hard drive somewhere copy (4 GBs) might be.

Any suggestions?

Do a search of your system for any files that are > 4GB and were created since sunday. Of course make sure that the option to show hidden folders and files is turned on otherwise you might not see the files

Do a search of your system for any files that are > 4GB and were created since sunday. Of course make sure that the option to show hidden folders and files is turned on otherwise you might not see the files

Walt,

I CAN'T thank you enough--this worked--RN temp files I guess HIDDEN in image files--adding look for hidden files worked like a charm--this freed up like 13 gigabytes--but why does RecordNow 7.2 KEEP these? When you do a data disc, it asks if you want to save to a file. After making an exact copy, why wouldn't you also be asked if you want to save--and unless affirmative, not make this temp file and hog so much? Maybe why no longer 7.2 and newer software? But you'd THINK someone at Sonic or Roxio could just say "look, run a search of RN temp files and also look in hidden." Thank God YOU DID!! AARRGGHH...

For anyone with similar problem: RN!504.temp (3_0) is the file, In C:\Documents and Settings\my name\Application

Data\Sonic\RecordNow!

Type: Record Now! Image File

You ARE a GURU!

A million thanks!

Walt,

I CAN'T thank you enough--this worked--RN temp files I guess HIDDEN in image files--adding look for hidden files worked like a charm--this freed up like 13 gigabytes--but why does RecordNow 7.2 KEEP these? When you do a data disc, it asks if you want to save to a file. After making an exact copy, why wouldn't you also be asked if you want to save--and unless affirmative, not make this temp file and hog so much? Maybe why no longer 7.2 and newer software? But you'd THINK someone at Sonic or Roxio could just say "look, run a search of RN temp files and also look in hidden." Thank God YOU DID!! AARRGGHH...

For anyone with similar problem: RN!504.temp (3_0) is the file, In C:\Documents and Settings\my name\Application

Data\Sonic\RecordNow!

Type: Record Now! Image File

You ARE a GURU!

A million thanks!

You're welcome and I am glad I was able to help.

I always have the option to show hidden files turned on as well as the option to show the file extensions. I can't understand why anyone would turn these off :blink:

Many programs create temporary files and never remove them. Its a good idea to search for these files (with expension tmp or temp) and manually delete them. You will be surpirised how much more space all of a sudden becomes available on your hard drive

Archived