• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Flickering Playback!

mark6869

Question

Can anyone tell me why i am having problems burning a production to dvd in mydvd. i have burnt several times before to the same discs (maxell dvd-r) with no problems. i have a production that i have tried burning many times with the same problem on playback, there is a flicker surrounding any movement almost as if the frames are not running at the correct speed or some frames are missing or it is showing too many frames at once (hard to describe!).

The production plays fine on the preview feature.

I have tried to reduce the length of the recording to see if that was the problem (original 4.6GB) but it made no difference.

I have recorded some footage again wondering if the problem was the capture technique and it was ok using two different capture methods. avi and mpeg2. both played short amounts of flicker free footage on the dvd.

is it the file size?

the production is a basic menu with music over the top, two movies edited together, a photo finish with scrolling credits to music and an independant slideshow with music.

Any ideas anyone?

:(

5 answers to this question

Can anyone tell me why i am having problems burning a production to dvd in mydvd. i have burnt several times before to the same discs (maxell dvd-r) with no problems. i have a production that i have tried burning many times with the same problem on playback, there is a flicker surrounding any movement almost as if the frames are not running at the correct speed or some frames are missing or it is showing too many frames at once (hard to describe!).

The production plays fine on the preview feature.

I have tried to reduce the length of the recording to see if that was the problem (original 4.6GB) but it made no difference.

I have recorded some footage again wondering if the problem was the capture technique and it was ok using two different capture methods. avi and mpeg2. both played short amounts of flicker free footage on the dvd.

is it the file size?

the production is a basic menu with music over the top, two movies edited together, a photo finish with scrolling credits to music and an independant slideshow with music.

Any ideas anyone?

:(

What program are you using to create the DVD? File size is not important when creating DVDs. Its the timelength that matters since a DVD will only hold 60 minutes of video at best quality but there are workarounds to get more then 60 minutes on a DVD. You will have to give a bit more information on exactly what you are doing.

BTW, Maxell is considered one of the lower quality discs.

Thanks,

That has worked a lot better, i dont have the flickering anymore. i have a new problem though!

There appears to be a lot of movement in the picture, by that i mean if you are looking at something still ie carpet, it appears to keep changing its appearance by sharpening up and then softening every couple of seconds!

Also there are some blackholes in the slide show and the photo that should be there when the credits roll has turned into a black hole also!

Is this anything to do with software rendering?

Thanks,

That has worked a lot better, i dont have the flickering anymore. i have a new problem though!

There appears to be a lot of movement in the picture, by that i mean if you are looking at something still ie carpet, it appears to keep changing its appearance by sharpening up and then softening every couple of seconds!

Also there are some blackholes in the slide show and the photo that should be there when the credits roll has turned into a black hole also!

Is this anything to do with software rendering?

I think your other problems may be a problem with your video card or chip. Update the drivers for your video card, and see if that helps.

Also, if you aren't doing it already, in the future, build your production in VideoWave, then take it to MyDVD for the menus and burning.

The program used is roxio mydvd, the length of production is approx 2hrs (just under) the discs state that in standard play they hold 120mins video. i must admit i have never tried to put more than half an hour on before now, but even when i cut the original down it still flickered.

could it have anything to do with the music?

The program used is roxio mydvd, the length of production is approx 2hrs (just under) the discs state that in standard play they hold 120mins video. i must admit i have never tried to put more than half an hour on before now, but even when i cut the original down it still flickered.

could it have anything to do with the music?

In MyDVD, try changing to Software rendering. At the top of the screen, click on Tools, then on Options, and right at the top, click in the circle to the left of Software.

Now, get out of there, and at the bottom of the screen, in the Quality drop down box, change to High Quality.

Click on the Burn button, and select Create Folder Set, then browse to a folder on your hard drive to where you want to save it. I make a folder before getting to this step.

Once the encoding is done, open Disc Copier, and in the Source drop down box, click on Browse for Disc Image....... Browse to the folder where you saved the folder set, double click on the Video_TS folder, and it should bring in your video production. Burn it to a DVD, and see if the flickering is gone.

Archived