Printing to disc surface using HP5160

David_W

Question

Someone kindly posted a work around for making HP printers work with EMC9, which worked just fine.

But, EMC10 does not have the menu item for "printer options", so I can not use that work around.

When I select "page setup" or "print" there is a list of Epson Printers, but no other brand of printer.

Can someone please help, I only bought the HP5160 because it had print to disc functionality. But, now I can not use it with EMC10 when I could with 9, the printer and all those printable discs are a waste of money. :angry2:

5 answers to this question

Someone kindly posted a work around for making HP printers work with EMC9, which worked just fine.

But, EMC10 does not have the menu item for "printer options", so I can not use that work around.

When I select "page setup" or "print" there is a list of Epson Printers, but no other brand of printer.

Can someone please help, I only bought the HP5160 because it had print to disc functionality. But, now I can not use it with EMC10 when I could with 9, the printer and all those printable discs are a waste of money. :angry2:

I have EMC 9.1 and also EMC 10 installed on my computer (EMC 9.1 on XP and 10 on Vista and on separate hard drives. Dual boot situation) I also have two different HP printers installed on both of the versions. And one is the HP D5160.

I have had no problems getting the HP D5160 printing directly to discs, but the first time I tried to print directly to a disc in Vista it didn't work. That's when I downloaded the Vista driver from HP's website for the D5160. Now it works in my Vista Home Premium system also.

When I am in either OS and want to print something, I always get a screen asking me which printer I want to print to. (It's always set for the HP deskjet 6980 however, as that's what I have set for the default printer. Si if I want to print to the D5160 I have to tell it.

Frank...

You could try selecting one of the Epson printers that comes closest, then you can adjust vertical and horizontal offset from that position by clicking preferences, check fine tuning and type in offsets required (in cm, +ve number V moves print down, H moves print to the right. -ve number V moves print up, H moves print to the left.

The problem is not the Vista driver (although I agree that it is needed if you have Vista). I am using EMC10 on Windows XP and so the operating system is no different from when I was on EMC9.

What is more I can print labels to PressIT stationary successfully using EMC10 and the HP PhotoSmart5160,

and

I can print to full face printable DVD using the HP PhotoSmart5160, provided that I use the HP package (HP Solution Centre).

But ... the HP Solution Centre will not "auto fill from disc", and the EMC10 software will not line up with the disc in the HP Phtosmart D5160.

All that is missing is the correct 'printer / stationary specification in EMC10 Label Creator for the HP printer.

Roxio did not provide this for the HP printer in EMC9, but there was the facility to put in your own stationary specification, and this has now gone.

It is frustrating that I have (a) full face printable DVDs and (B) a printer which will print on them, plus © the very latest (and best?) media creator software. but I can still not print the labels directlyon the discs :angry: . Because EMC10 will not recognise the printer when Windows XP will.

Before someone tells me, I have found that I can export the label from EMC10 label creator and import it into HP Solution Centre. But the result is too small and does not have sufficient resolution to resize.

Currently EMC10 label creator, under "media", has a 'print to disc' option with that selected a list of printers appears under "paper type", that list has about ten printers in it, but they are all Epson.

Those of us who have the HP Photosmart D5160 just need it to be added to the list in EMC10, or at least the facility to add it to the list ourselves - which is what we had in EMC9.

Archived