• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 15 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Adding Video Track Over Another Video Track

apcipriano

Question

I'm putting together a wedding video and want to overlay another video clip (audience looking on to ceremony for brief period) while the video and its audio runs. In other words, I'd like to keep the audio of the first video track in "play" and let the overlay of the audience be seen. When I attempt to move that "audience" track onto the timeline, the program moves it to the END of the timeline or the end of the project rather than overlay it. I can overlay static pictures but not video. Is this a limitation of the program or is there a technique to this move? I know that tv stations do this all the time by phasing in video over an audio track. The only alternative I can think of is to "strip" the audio track off the first video and somehow insert it (in a track) while the audience video is playing while turning audio setting of the audience to (-22).

That's cumbersome and difficult especially if you want to synch all the tracks with the audio. Any suggestions? Thanks!!!

apcipriano

9 answers to this question

I'm putting together a wedding video and want to overlay another video clip (audience looking on to ceremony for brief period) while the video and its audio runs. In other words, I'd like to keep the audio of the first video track in "play" and let the overlay of the audience be seen. When I attempt to move that "audience" track onto the timeline, the program moves it to the END of the timeline or the end of the project rather than overlay it. I can overlay static pictures but not video. Is this a limitation of the program or is there a technique to this move? I know that tv stations do this all the time by phasing in video over an audio track. The only alternative I can think of is to "strip" the audio track off the first video and somehow insert it (in a track) while the audience video is playing while turning audio setting of the audience to (-22).

That's cumbersome and difficult especially if you want to synch all the tracks with the audio. Any suggestions? Thanks!!!

apcipriano

First of all you have to add the 2nd video to the overlay track.

Then, right-click the overlay track and select Edit/Overlay from the drop down menu. Then adjust the transparency to your desired level.. Click Ok to get back to the main production menu page.

Again right-click the overlay track and select Edit/Native audio from the drop down menu. The audio editor should open and show the audio for the overlay. Move the Volume slider all the way to the left to effectively mute the audio for the overlay. Click Ok to return.

You should now play the the production in the preview and you should see your two videos (depending on selected transparency) but only the audio from the main video should be playing.

First of all you have to add the 2nd video to the overlay track.

Then, right-click the overlay track and select Edit/Overlay from the drop down menu. Then adjust the transparency to your desired level.. Click Ok to get back to the main production menu page.

Again right-click the overlay track and select Edit/Native audio from the drop down menu. The audio editor should open and show the audio for the overlay. Move the Volume slider all the way to the left to effectively mute the audio for the overlay. Click Ok to return.

You should now play the the production in the preview and you should see your two videos (depending on selected transparency) but only the audio from the main video should be playing.

Thanks for the suggestion Walt. I'll give it a try and let you know!

apcipriano

apcipriano

Oh yeah...problem...whenever I bring the clip down to the overlay track below the video/audio track, the clip finds itself at the end of the production timeline! Suggestions?

apcipriano

Are you putting the overlay video in the internal or extenal overlay track?

Not sure what you mean Patty. I'm using Videowave and there only "x" number of tracks, all of which do not accept the video clip as an overlay.

apcipriano

I think you are dragging the overlay to the proper track but I've attached an image anyway.

To get to the internal tracks of a video clip, simply double-click on the video clip and a production editor window will open where are shown similar tracks to the main production window. You can also add audio, effects, overlay to these tracks but they will only be applied for the duration of the main video clip. If you move the main clip these internal tracks move along with the clip

post-103-1189568286.jpg

Thanks Walt for the suggestions. However, I've experienced a new and more troubling situation....In Videowave and on the Timeline, I've overlaid some audio tracks over video (cutaway videos to audience at wedding) and it looks good on playback of the whole production. HOWEVER, once I burn the dvd on Dvdbuilder, one half of the production is fine, the other half (the reception part of the wedding) is sluggish...video doesn't match audio..it runs in slow motion, etc. I've been using this program since 2003 and never had this problem before. Just to let you know, I'm running the app on a 2003 vintage Gateway 200 with 80 gig harddrive and three Maxtor external harddrives (2 @160 gigs and 1 at 300 gigs) via firewire PCMCIA input(2) and one on a USB port. Memory is 1 gig (maximum) video processor is an Intel 82855GM and the processor is either 1.6 or 1.8 gighz. , onboard Toshiba dvd burner but using external Sony dual layer burner. 60 gig hardrive of which 18.5 is left of unused space and running XP Pro. I have IE version 6.0 with SP2. Any suggestions on how to correct this problem? Thank you!!!!

apcipriano

apcipriano

Oh yeah...problem...whenever I bring the clip down to the overlay track below the video/audio track, the clip finds itself at the end of the production timeline! Suggestions?

apcipriano

Not sure what you mean Patty. I'm using Videowave and there only "x" number of tracks, all of which do not accept the video clip as an overlay.

apcipriano

I think you are dragging the overlay to the proper track but I've attached an image anyway.

To get to the internal tracks of a video clip, simply double-click on the video clip and a production editor window will open where are shown similar tracks to the main production window. You can also add audio, effects, overlay to these tracks but they will only be applied for the duration of the main video clip. If you move the main clip these internal tracks move along with the clip

post-103-1189568286.jpg

Some information in addition to Patty's question......

I do this all the time and there is an easier, though slightly longer way to do this to avoid the sound conflict problem.

Take that video and make a second production. ( You can make multiple productions with the same video. )

Trim that video down so that you have only the audience scene that you want. MUTE the audio (-22).

Then do a File\ Output production to.... and choose a Video File and output the video in the same format as the original video ( ie. mpeg2, dv avi, etc. )

Now you can add the new video to the overlay track (timeline view) in the original production and it will not have any sound, and you can either overlay a portion of the entire screen, or you can edit it and have it appear as a picture-in-picture. There are also options to put different frames around the overlay, have it appear/disappear in different ways, etc.

If that's not what you're looking for or you need additional help, please ask.

Archived