Spelling of messages from this place

kenwardm

A pedant (and editor) writes:

I wince every time I receive a message from the Roxio Community. This is not because I am unhappy to hear from you, but because there is a horrible spelling error in the boilerplate text.

It reads:

"If you have configured in your control panel to recieve immediate topic reply notifications, you may receive an email for each reply ...."

The baffling thing here is that the person who wrote "recieve" clearly knows how to spell it because they get the word right later in the sentence.

Any chance that someone can correct the mistake and help to lower my blood pressure?

I wince every time I receive a message from the Roxio Community. This is not because I am unhappy to hear from you, but because there is a horrible spelling error in the boilerplate text.

It reads:

"If you have configured in your control panel to recieve immediate topic reply notifications, you may receive an email for each reply ...."

The baffling thing here is that the person who wrote "recieve" clearly knows how to spell it because they get the word right later in the sentence.

Any chance that someone can correct the mistake and help to lower my blood pressure?

Wow, you pay very close attention to detail. I'm not sure the person who can change that even reads these boards but I can tell you that forums are the absolute last place you'll find proper anything! ;)

Wow, you pay very close attention to detail. I'm not sure the person who can change that even reads these boards but I can tell you that forums are the absolute last place you'll find proper anything! ;)

And some people don't even know (or care) to use a spell checker for their posts. :unsure:

The spell checker can be reached by clicking on that icon of a check mark with ABC above it. You can select to spell check the entire post or just what you select.

If you don't have one, you will be given directions on how to install one if you are using Explorer. There is an add-on for Firefox.

There are many posts that demonstrate that people are unwilling to use a spell checker or even to proof read what they post. That sometimes makes me wonder if people really want help or just don't care if they get an answer.

Do you hate IMText also?

The spell checker can be reached by clicking on that icon of a check mark with ABC above it. You can select to spell check the entire post or just what you select.

The board default is standard text editor, no spell checker.

and help to lower my blood pressure?

Rscheearchs at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, sohw taht it dseno't mtaetr waht oerdr the ltteres are in wrods as lnog as the frist ltter and lsat rmeain the smae.

Good luck at the doctor...

you mmd,

cd

The board default is standard text editor, no spell checker.

Rscheearchs at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, sohw taht it dseno't mtaetr waht oerdr the ltteres are in wrods as lnog as the frist ltter and lsat rmeain the smae.

Good luck at the doctor...

you mmd,

cd

Actually, only about 50% of the people can read that sentence. I got an email with a paragraph of that text and tried it on my family and it was about 50% that could read it (I was one that could) My wife was aggravated that she couldn't and I could but it doesn't appear 'smarts' has anything to do with it because I ain't smart. :D

Actually, only about 50% of the people can read that sentence. I got an email with a paragraph of that text and tried it on my family and it was about 50% that could read it (I was one that could) My wife was aggravated that she couldn't and I could but it doesn't appear 'smarts' has anything to do with it because I ain't smart. :D

Years ago in the US there were different methods of teaching spelling and reading. Perhaps this has an effect. Remember new math (it was really algebra packaged a little differently)?

I'm old enough to cringe when I see misspelled words and IMText.

Years ago in the US there were different methods of teaching spelling and reading. Perhaps this has an effect. Remember new math (it was really algebra packaged a little differently)?

I'm old enough to cringe when I see misspelled words and IMText.

I will refrain from saying absoletely anything about the so-called 'US English'

Wasn't it Chuirchill who said that the US and England were 'two countries separated by a common language'? :lol:

But in general, a good rule to follow anywhere is 'Caps lock OFF, spell check ON'

Oh... and there's a typo in that sentence: Rscheearchs (msisnig an "e") at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, sohw taht it dseno't mtaetr waht oerdr the ltteres are in wrods as lnog as the frist ltter (aslo mssinig an "e") and lsat rmeain the smae.

Oh... and there's a typo in that sentence: Rscheearchs (msisnig an "e") at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, sohw taht it dseno't mtaetr waht oerdr the ltteres are in wrods as lnog as the frist ltter (aslo mssinig an "e") and lsat rmeain the smae.

That didn't help the blood pressure or the cringe...

cd

That would bother the heck out of me too.... I'd keep hearing the grammar rule... 'i before e eccept after c'.

I think that message comes from the service that powers this message board, Invision.

Perhaps someone will stop by and correct the error....In the meantime, you could try to email Roxio.

Could be they're trying to cover all bases in the hope one is right ... :huh:

Now there's a conspiracy theory.

I am not especially fussed about mistakes in messages. Not everyone can use a spiel chequer. But when it is in boilerplate text that must go out many times a day, it makes a difference.

That sort of thing reflects on the company that allowed it to go out. Sloppy spelling could mean sloppy software.

It is one way in which I filter out messages in blogs and the like. If it is riddled with spelling errors and grammatical lapses, I take the message much less seriously.

Our local newspaper makes all kinds of spelling mistakes, and I'm not sure they have someone or some program that spell checks everything that is written. I doubt it. I am not to bothered with a couple of spelling errors, but on the other hand in all my high school and college days, English was not my favorite subject either. So if I make a spelling error just consider the source :D

Frank...

Some people just need to get a life... As I once told a speech professor who really hated my southern draw, it's not how you spell or speak that is important as long as the person reading or hearing understands the meaning - the 'idea' behind communications.

Wonderful. Brits often accuse Americans of not getting irony. And here you are, disproving them all. Deep in a discussion about spelling you deliberately use "draw" when we all know that you meant "drawl".

Nice one, as we say.

One question, what is a speech professor? We don't have them. Prob'ly explains why we speak funny.

Archived