Importing from DVD Problem

adbaker

Question

When I am importing a video from a DVD that I have recorded from TV, the Media Import can only seem to capture media from the first 90 (ish) minutes of the DVD. If I record 30 minute shows, I can get the first 3, but the last isn't 'seen' as an 'individual movie' for import. If there are 5 - 20 minute shows, all 5 show up on the list of movies that can be imported, but I will only get ~10 minutes of the last show (though the movie list reports it is a 20 minute movie). This problem is completely repeatable. Has happenned on 20+ disks I have created.

These are being burned from a Sony RDR-VX500 DVD/VCR combo recorder onto Sony media. PC is a Dell Dimension 8400 with 2GB RAM and 400GB free disk space (defrag'd weekly). I recently swapped out the DVD player in the PC to eliminate that as a problem, and it hasn't seemed to help.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

7 answers to this question

Several folks have reported a similar problem and frankly I do not have a handle on it!

The reason I mentioned Finalizing is that media recorded using VR formatting can and often is fragmented across the disc. Media import or even copying the VOB files will not work. It will "show" the correct time but only the first fragment is copied or captured.

As I recall, 'plus' media cannot be formatted using VR and behaves correctly.

I have not had the time to wring out this theory, so it remains a 'good guess'…

Note on the External you have. Many externals are FAT32 formatted for recovery reasons. If that is the case no single file can exceed 4gb.

Finalize the DVD in the Recorder before you take it to the PC.

May work better if you utilize a +RW in the Recorder.

DVD's can't be read on the PC unless they are finalized, so that is already part of the process. I will try +RWmedia and see if that helps, but the core issue remains. Shouldn't a 2 HR DVD with 2 HR of video that I can see all 2 HR of from the PC allow all 2 HR to be imported using Media Import?

DVD's can't be read on the PC unless they are finalized, so that is already part of the process. I will try +RWmedia and see if that helps, but the core issue remains. Shouldn't a 2 HR DVD with 2 HR of video that I can see all 2 HR of from the PC allow all 2 HR to be imported using Media Import?

I guess that I have a question. Why are you trying to capture it? You can just copy it to your hard drive, and you should be able to bring the .VOB files into VideoWave, if your intent is to do some editing.

When I am importing a video from a DVD that I have recorded from TV, the Media Import can only seem to capture media from the first 90 (ish) minutes of the DVD. If I record 30 minute shows, I can get the first 3, but the last isn't 'seen' as an 'individual movie' for import. If there are 5 - 20 minute shows, all 5 show up on the list of movies that can be imported, but I will only get ~10 minutes of the last show (though the movie list reports it is a 20 minute movie). This problem is completely repeatable. Has happenned on 20+ disks I have created.

These are being burned from a Sony RDR-VX500 DVD/VCR combo recorder onto Sony media. PC is a Dell Dimension 8400 with 2GB RAM and 400GB free disk space (defrag'd weekly). I recently swapped out the DVD player in the PC to eliminate that as a problem, and it hasn't seemed to help.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Pani recorder and do this quite a bit...

1st off I use +RW discs -- this makes a huge difference, and if you're not using +RW that may be all it takes.

2nd, my Pani requires a separate step: creating a top level menu for compatibility -- don't know if Sony has something similar.

If "Copy" won't see every title, you might have to get the DVD on your hard drive before you can do much with it. Hopefully you can use the Copy program to copy the entire DVD first, & if not, there are several tools for copying complete DVDs. The copying programs might have an option to shrink the DVD -- don't -- make sure that feature is not turned on.

As a last resort you can use one of the de-muxing tools & you'll get a mpg2 video file & ac3 audio file for each title. Depending on if your DVDR recorded one long title or 4 separate ones, you might have to de-mux 4 times -- once selecting each, individual title. You want to put these back together for Videowave/MyDVD, either using Videowave or separate muxer software. If you have one big file holding all 4 episodes, Copy will separate them for you.

Are you importing these into individual files, or as one large file?

What format are you importing them to?

Is your hard drive formatted for NTFS or FAT32?

Is that 400gb HD space on one drive/partition, or total for multiple ones/

I am recording a few 20 - 30 minute video segments on the DVD, then trying to import them individually to MPG format.

I have 2 NTFS hard drives in the PC, and a 500gb external on 1394. The first is 320GB with OS/Applications installed, the second is 400gb for 'temporary storage', used mostly for files I am importing and/or editing. Once the file is complete, it goes to the external for long term storage.

Archived