Drude

Audio Transitions - Fixed?

Question

So, before I even consider upgrading or purchasing this thing... one question:

Have they fixed the Transitions feature in for CD burning in this version? Audio transitions were 'purposefully broken' in EMC9 which resulted in proper transitioning between tracks (cross-fading/cross-cutting, etc) not working properly (next track was forced to fade in whether or not you wanted it to).

If it's fixed, I will almost definitely buy this, if not... sorry folks...

-Drude

12 answers to this question

So, before I even consider upgrading or purchasing this thing... one question:

Have they fixed the Transitions feature in for CD burning in this version? Audio transitions were 'purposefully broken' in EMC9 which resulted in proper transitioning between tracks (cross-fading/cross-cutting, etc) not working properly (next track was forced to fade in whether or not you wanted it to).

If it's fixed, I will almost definitely buy this, if not... sorry folks...

-Drude

Not sure if you are talking about the Fade In and Fade out options in EMC 10, but I have placed sever different audio files on the same track (In the Videowave program) and usually "Fade-Out" the preceeding audio file before the next one begins but do not fade in the following audio file. And I have never seen it when the following audio file automatically "Fades-In", unless I tell it to when I edit the file.

Make sure that the "Fade-In" box is NOT checked if you don't want any following audio file to do that.

(Reference attachment). If this is not what you are referring to, please give a little more information--Thanks

Frank...

I think the OP was talking about Music Disc Creator. It forced the next rack to fade in to keep from a sudden increase in volume. I don't use this feature much. Maybe someone else can test it out and report back.

I think the OP was talking about Music Disc Creator. It forced the next rack to fade in to keep from a sudden increase in volume. I don't use this feature much. Maybe someone else can test it out and report back.

Yeah, the Music Creator is what I was talking about - thanks!

That forced Fade-In was such a sock-rotter after dropping $99.00 on a new program, especially after EMC 5 did it so flawlessly.

Anyway, like I said, I'll by it if that's fixed. If anyone out there wants to experiment a litle with it and let me know, I'd appreciate it.

0Drude

An alternative, but giving a continuous track is to use Sound Editor. Put tracks alternately on Layers 1 and 2, with whatever overlap or gap you want. You can adjust the fade in/ fade out profiles precisely how you like, but you will need to check that you are not inducing clipping where the tracks overlap and their combined sound level exceeds the maximum. Then export the mix as a single file.

Edited by jeanrosenfeld

An alternative, but giving a continuous track is to use Sound Editor. Put tracks alternately on Layers 1 and 2, with whatever overlap or gap you want. You can adjust the fade in/ fade out profiles precisely how you like, but you will need to check that you are not inducing clipping where the tracks overlap and their combined sound level exceeds the maximum. Then export the mix as a single file.

I like to play with sound editor as well -- (and, for the record, it doesn't have to be saved as a continuous track... you can actually do a mix and still have the individual tracks... works quite well, but is very time-consuming) -- it will give me the effect I want, but, the straightforward Transitions option worked so well in EMC 5 (and, I understand, in every version up to EMC 7) that it seems like unecessary work to go into Sound Editor to do crossfades.

BTW, I have made HUNDREDS of mixed CDs using EMC and not ONCE have I ever had any kind of issue with sound clipping during a crossfade. Never. I really think it's being overstated as an issue. And besides, shouldn't Roxio let US decide what we want to do with our own mixes? Why disable a feature because it MIGHT cause sound-clipping?

Anyway, I'm ranting.

Still waiting to see if anyone has tested transitions, as obviously an actual Roxio representative will never come forward to comment on any of this! :-)

-Drude

Edited by Drude

I have just noticed an option in Music Disc Creator (EMC 10), Tools, options: there is a check box marked 'Force fading when overlapping tracks to prevent clipping'. It is checked by default, but you could try unchecking it.

I have just noticed an option in Music Disc Creator (EMC 10), Tools, options: there is a check box marked 'Force fading when overlapping tracks to prevent clipping'. It is checked by default, but you could try unchecking it.

Well, that sounds promising! What a concept - a choice!!! Maybe I'll pick EMC10 and try it out... after all, I can always return it...

Thanks!

Well, that sounds promising! What a concept - a choice!!! Maybe I'll pick EMC10 and try it out... after all, I can always return it...

Thanks!

Please someone test this out, I can't stand the force-fade in Music Disc Creator 9. Wasted 99 bucks on EMC9, willing to waste another on EMC10, but only if they fixed this non-feature.

Still waiting to see if anyone has tested transitions, as obviously an actual Roxio representative will never come forward to comment on any of this! :-)

Yeah... those Roxio representatives... what's up with them? They never show up here!

Yes... several of you asked about this issue many months ago, and we asked our audio development group to address it. I hope you like how this works in EMC 10.

Tom

Yeah... those Roxio representatives... what's up with them? They never show up here!

Yes... several of you asked about this issue many months ago, and we asked our audio development group to address it. I hope you like how this works in EMC 10.

Tom

Well, okay then...

I have dished out $99.00 CAD on Roxio 10 and opened the Music Disc Creaotor and UN-checked 'Force Fading When Overlapping Tracks..'

and...?

It STILL force fades the beginning of the next track, almost the same as Roxio 9! It doesn't cut the beginning of the track off like ECD9 did, but the song still takes about 5 seconds to get to full volume. Why? If I don't want it to fade, why force it on me? AND... why give me the option to turn it off if it isn't REALLY going to turn off?

Back to the store it goes.

Ah well, can anyone suggest another burning program that can manage this?

I KNEW I should have downloaded it...

-Drude

I also really miss the crossfade function. Roxio nailed it in emc 7 and 7.5; it worked perfectly, producing professional sounding crossfades with reliable previews. I was happily using 7.5 until a few weeks ago when a windows media player update knocked it out.

Version 10 does indeed force a fadein even when you uncheck the option. The resultant crossfade sounds horrible. Can't Roxio just take the working code from 7.5 and pop it into version 10? I add my voice to Drude in the hope that someone at Roxio will listen and fix this.

Al

Well, okay then...

I have dished out $99.00 CAD on Roxio 10 and opened the Music Disc Creaotor and UN-checked 'Force Fading When Overlapping Tracks..'

and...?

It STILL force fades the beginning of the next track, almost the same as Roxio 9! It doesn't cut the beginning of the track off like ECD9 did, but the song still takes about 5 seconds to get to full volume. Why? If I don't want it to fade, why force it on me? AND... why give me the option to turn it off if it isn't REALLY going to turn off?

Back to the store it goes.

Ah well, can anyone suggest another burning program that can manage this?

I KNEW I should have downloaded it...

-Drude

I also really miss the crossfade function. Roxio nailed it in emc 7 and 7.5; it worked perfectly, producing professional sounding crossfades with reliable previews. I was happily using 7.5 until a few weeks ago when a windows media player update knocked it out.

Version 10 does indeed force a fadein even when you uncheck the option. The resultant crossfade sounds horrible. Can't Roxio just take the working code from 7.5 and pop it into version 10? I add my voice to Drude in the hope that someone at Roxio will listen and fix this.

Al

You can still use 7.5. Roll back that Windows Media Player to the previous version, and if you Internet Eplorer 7, roll that back to IE 6. Neither of those new version are needed for anything, except Vista.