Letterboxing, Pillarboxing and Windowboxing?

austinnate

Question

I know that it depends on the source (I think ;) ??? ) But is there a way to avoid letterboxing, pillarboxing and windowboxing?

Is there a way to detect if PC3 will produce any of the afore mentioned, BEFORE encoding?

I ask this as I have a widescreen TV any some files have them....some don't... some DVD conversions fill the screen where as others don't.....

7 answers to this question

No, don't make any image size adjustments. If the source is anamorphic 16:9 then the output will be 16:9 without adding any black bars. If the source isn't anamorphic then the output will be 4:3 and your TV's setting will deal with it the same as when watching a 4:3 TV show.

come to find out the file/DVD was 2.35:1...

This will ALWAYS produce black bars on a wide screen TV.....

Should I be adjusting the image size?

under the custom settings?

No, don't make any image size adjustments. If the source is anamorphic 16:9 then the output will be 16:9 without adding any black bars. If the source isn't anamorphic then the output will be 4:3 and your TV's setting will deal with it the same as when watching a 4:3 TV show.

Sorry for the delay in my reply but work sent me out to town for the last couple of days.....

I am starting with video_TS folder/files.....

I am wanting to convert the files to play back on my AppleTV.

I'm not aware of any problems that Popcorn 3 may have with aspect ratios when exporting from a VIDEO_TS folder. Popcorn has added a preview function where you can see a couple minutes of encoded video before committing to the entire encoding, so you'll see if there is any problem. Some ripped DVDs may have both an anamorphic 16:9 and a pan & scan version on the disc. In that case you'll want to use the Custom window to select a specific title to export rather than hoping that Movie Only is choosing the correct one.

As you likely know some DVDs are standard 4:3 format and they will appear pillarboxed when played on a 16:9 TV because the picture isn't that wide. Some DVDs are letterboxed (not anamorphic) so they will look windowboxed because the source video includes the horizontal black bars plus the picture isn't wide enough. And some are anamorphic 16:9 which should look correct when played on a 16:9 TV.

What kind of video files are you starting with and what kind do you want to end up with? Are you wanting to make video DVDs?

Sorry for the delay in my reply but work sent me out to town for the last couple of days.....

I am starting with video_TS folder/files.....

I am wanting to convert the files to play back on my AppleTV.

Archived