• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 18 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

CD Spin Doctor Input Volume Control

Woodartist

Question

While converting my cassette collection I had to control the input volume using the cassette player's volume control knob while keeping the CD Spin Doctor's Input Volume slider turned all the way down. Now I am using an ION USB turntable to convert my LPs, and there is no volume control on the table, so I am stuck with the volume peaking in the red on every track, since the Input Volume slider is already as far to the left as possible. How can I regain control of the input volume?

8 answers to this question

The ION turntable--at least the model I have--has a gain control, but it's beside the USB port, which means it's inaccessible if the turntable is sitting on anything. Now if we could suspend it in mid-air....

My big problem with converting LPs is still feedback that comes at random times. I may be able to convert six LPs with no problem or I may record 2 minutes before the rumbling feedback starts. I'm wondering if it's related to the internal microphone? I'm using Toast 8.0.3 on an Intel iMac running Leopard.

The gain control knob on the turntable is the best solution to the inadequate/ excessive volume problem with the USB-import feature. However, I've actually had better results in terms of overall sound quality by running the ION's RCA outputs through an adapter into an IMic [ironic, because the reason I bought the ION was because I thought the USB output would introduce less interference than audio cables]. This enables more volume control, and the USB output seems to cut out some higher frequencies. Just be sure you have the turntable and the IMic set on line level, or else you may have more volume difficulties.

Feedback would happen if the internal mic were on and you were playing the sound through external speakers, but I think CD Spin Doctor will only let you use one input source at a time.

The rumbling/ distortion issue can usually be avoided if you monitor the sound with headphones instead of external speakers. When I experience this sort of feedback, it is because the bass frequencies from my subwoofer make the turntable vibrate, then the ensuing noise gets picked up by the needle and comes through the sub, and the cycle continues. . .

Monitoring through your speakers at a lower volume level could also fix it. If the feedback is happening independent of the internal mic and external speakers, I have no idea :)

I am also using an ION turntable to record LPs and it initially was distorted than came the update and worked fine for a while. Now I just tried it and the distortion is back! :angry2:

OK! Now I am even MORE disappointed! I switched over to Audacity 1.2.6 for Mac. NO Distortion! How is it a totally free product out performs a product which costs me money? This is sad.

Bummed I spent the money & time.

The ION turntable--at least the model I have--has a gain control, but it's beside the USB port, which means it's inaccessible if the turntable is sitting on anything. Now if we could suspend it in mid-air....

My big problem with converting LPs is still feedback that comes at random times. I may be able to convert six LPs with no problem or I may record 2 minutes before the rumbling feedback starts. I'm wondering if it's related to the internal microphone? I'm using Toast 8.0.3 on an Intel iMac running Leopard.

I have a similar problem with the gain control using an ION turntable. The gain is a bit low and I need to raise it, but the slider is grayed out.

Using OS X 10.4.10 on an iMac G5, CD Spin Doctor 4.0.1.205t and have selected USB Audio CODEC as source.

Bummer!! :angry2:

I had Roxio 6 Creative CD & DVD install. My computer Technician change the configuring and fix the volume problem for me. I never had a problems in recording from Vinyl to my pc and was perfect.

Maybe you need see a good computer Technician who can fix the problem for you.

I don't have an ION USB turntable so I don't know why it would transfer an audio signal that is that strong. I'm also confused by your ability to control the volume using your cassette player. Usually the line outputs from an audio device are fixed. When I record using Spin Doctor I connect to an audio device's line output or I connect to the tape out of my receiver. In this way the volume control of the receiver has no effect on the signal coming into the Mac. In that case Spin Doctor's input control works just fine for me.

I also have a Griffin iMic USB audio input device. It has two connections: one for Mic and the other for Line. I definitely do not want to connect a line input to the Mic input because the volume is excessive. Maybe you've done something like this with the Ion.

Another place to try to control signal strength is in Audio Midi Setup which you'll find in your Utilities folder.

I have a similar problem with the gain control using an ION turntable. The gain is a bit low and I need to raise it, but the slider is grayed out.

Using OS X 10.4.10 on an iMac G5, CD Spin Doctor 4.0.1.205t and have selected USB Audio CODEC as source.

Bummer!! :angry2:

Did you ever solve this problem? I'm having the same problem with my ION turntable.

Archived