• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Toast 8 Abilities

jenetic

Question

I couldn't find the answer to this either here or on the website. Will Toast 8 allow you to load split stereo files (.L .R) and burn an audio cd from them like Jam used to do? It'd be great if I didn't have to create stereo interleaved files first like you have to with older versions of Toast.

Secondly, is there any sample rate conversion in T8? For example, could I load split stereo files that are 48k and T8 will automatically convert them to 44.1 interleaved to burn an audio cd? This would be great too but less expected.

TIA

BTW - If anyone from Roxio is reading, these are pre-purchase questions from a current user of your older products.

5 answers to this question

I'm not confusing Toast and Jam. Roxio claim that Toast 8 has many of the functions of Jam. I wanted to know if this was part of it. My impression is that Jam is a discontinued product. If so, they would be doing themselves and their customers a great disservice by not including the functionality I asked about. I think you might want to read your manual if you haven't found any of the additional functionality in Toast 8.

I think you're confusing the function of Toast, and that of Jam. Toast, whether, 6,7,or 8 is primarily for burning. Jam 5 has not been updated, and new different products apparently have taken its place (see their website); and whatever you were able to do with Jam, Jam itself would then open/transfer the image to Toast for burning.

The answer to your question: I can find very little difference in the actual functionality between Toast 7 and 8 --8 has an updated interface which I like a lot less than 7! - so don't bother updating to 8 unless you have a particular reason. And hang on to Jam and continue using that for assembling music prior to burning.

I just tested this with Toast 8. I added just the left channel of a split audio file. Both tracks are added and Toast describes the type as "AIFF Split Stereo."

I didn't test resampling 48 khz to 44.1 khz. I do know Toast does this resampling when burning audio CDs because I've used Toast 7 to make audio CDs from concert DVDs. You should be able to check that out with your copy of Toast 7. Toast also provides the option to change the rate when exporting.

I think you're confusing the function of Toast, and that of Jam. Toast, whether, 6,7,or 8 is primarily for burning. Jam 5 has not been updated, and new different products apparently have taken its place (see their website); and whatever you were able to do with Jam, Jam itself would then open/transfer the image to Toast for burning.

The answer to your question: I can find very little difference in the actual functionality between Toast 7 and 8 --8 has an updated interface which I like a lot less than 7! - so don't bother updating to 8 unless you have a particular reason. And hang on to Jam and continue using that for assembling music prior to burning.

Thank you so much. Finally a useful answer since I've gotten a confident "yes" and a confident "no" from Roxio!

So to clarify, when you added just the left channel, it went ahead and imported the corresponding right channel as well?

TIA

I just tested this with Toast 8. I added just the left channel of a split audio file. Both tracks are added and Toast describes the type as "AIFF Split Stereo."

I didn't test resampling 48 khz to 44.1 khz. I do know Toast does this resampling when burning audio CDs because I've used Toast 7 to make audio CDs from concert DVDs. You should be able to check that out with your copy of Toast 7. Toast also provides the option to change the rate when exporting.

Thank you so much. Finally a useful answer since I've gotten a confident "yes" and a confident "no" from Roxio!

So to clarify, when you added just the left channel, it went ahead and imported the corresponding right channel as well?

TIA

Just to be sure I did it again but this time actually auditioned the audio in Toast. It works. I created the split audio tracks labeled "nameoftrack.l.aif" and "nameoftrack.r.aif" using Peak LE. It made no difference if I added the left channel or the right channel. Toast added the matching channel. If I selected both channels then Toast added it twice. Previously I just checked that left and right waveforms were present in Toast's crossfade window. This time I listened to be sure I was getting both channels and not just one channel in mono mode. It definitely is the same stereo that I started when I imported the CD track to Peak.

Archived