Project No Longer Works

Kevin B

Question

Before I ask this, I want to thank those of you who have responded to my earlier questions as I learn my way through EMC 9. I hope my continued issues aren't starting to grind on the members here. If you'll indulge me yet again it would be greatly appreciated. And this may be a bit complicated, so I hope you'll bear with me as I try to make a long story as short as I can.

For my first attempt I saved a video wave project to a folder on my desktop for ease of access. In this folder I had the original video clip I was working from. Then I used MyDVD to add menus, format the production, add music, etc. Everything worked like a charm. At the end of it, the folder contained the original video file, the VideoWave project file and the MyDVD project file.

Tonight (stupidly, perhaps) I cut and pasted the folder to a new location. I changed nothing. But now the project won't work at all. Everything appears to be fine when I open the project, but when I preview, nothing plays. So I copied the folder back to the desktop where it originally was, opened the project again, and still nothing.

When I validate I receive the error message "Missing file in movie." When I hit the Go To Error button, I receive the further explanation: "The following required list of files cannot be located at their last known location", and the list shows the original video file I was working from. The original video file appears to be missing, but it isn't. It's right there in the folder, back on the desktop where it was in the first place alongside the project.

From that screen I manually browsed to the location of the folder that contains the video file. Now when I preview, I hear audio but there is no picture, just a black screen.

Have I destroyed my project? (Gosh, I hope this all makes sense.)

2 answers to this question

:rolleyes:

No worries Mate,

When you select a pic or video for a prject, the photo or video is NOT actually cut and pasted to the Project, the ADDRESS of its location is. For istance, if I have a photo called The Mountains in a folder the link may look like this C:\MYPHOTOS\landscapes\themountains.jpg If I now (before created the DVD) decide I want to relocate the photo to a new area on my drive. Then when I open any project that was refering to its prior location, it will not find it and POOF! you have your problem. The solution is put the folder back where it was until you have completed and closed out the project.

Good Luck

B)-->

QUOTE(Kevin B @ Sep 12 2007, 12:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Before I ask this, I want to thank those of you who have responded to my earlier questions as I learn my way through EMC 9. I hope my continued issues aren't starting to grind on the members here. If you'll indulge me yet again it would be greatly appreciated. And this may be a bit complicated, so I hope you'll bear with me as I try to make a long story as short as I can.

For my first attempt I saved a video wave project to a folder on my desktop for ease of access. In this folder I had the original video clip I was working from. Then I used MyDVD to add menus, format the production, add music, etc. Everything worked like a charm. At the end of it, the folder contained the original video file, the VideoWave project file and the MyDVD project file.

Tonight (stupidly, perhaps) I cut and pasted the folder to a new location. I changed nothing. But now the project won't work at all. Everything appears to be fine when I open the project, but when I preview, nothing plays. So I copied the folder back to the desktop where it originally was, opened the project again, and still nothing.

When I validate I receive the error message "Missing file in movie." When I hit the Go To Error button, I receive the further explanation: "The following required list of files cannot be located at their last known location", and the list shows the original video file I was working from. The original video file appears to be missing, but it isn't. It's right there in the folder, back on the desktop where it was in the first place alongside the project.

From that screen I manually browsed to the location of the folder that contains the video file. Now when I preview, I hear audio but there is no picture, just a black screen.

Have I destroyed my project? (Gosh, I hope this all makes sense.)

Archived