jeanrosenfeld

FIX for My DVD crash with wmvdecod.dll error

Question

I did a clean install of EMC 10, and found everything worked fine, except for My DVD, wich crashed with the error event log

Event Type: Error

Event Source: Application Error

Event Category: None

Event ID: 1000

Date: 12/09/2007

Time: 10:13:50

User: N/A

Computer: XXXXXX <---edited

Description:

Faulting application videowave10.exe, version 10.0.0.78, faulting module wmvdecod.dll, version 11.0.5721.5145, fault address 0x0002f5a2.

After trying reinstall, repair, running chkdsk and other things, none of which fixed the problem, I decided to get to the bottom of this problem, and I'm happy to report that I have found a fix.

The problem is caused by the fact that some of the new menu styles in My DVD (EMC 10) use .wmv files that have dimension 1920x1080, which with my Radeon XT800 GTO cause any player to crash if Windows Media Video Acceleration is turned on. Unfortunately the default menu after installing EMC 10 is one of those large dimension HD files. Menu styles using lower resolution. wmv files can be played or used in My DVD with Windows Media Video Acceleration on or off.

If you have this problem with an ATI card with Catalyst Control Center installed, in CCC, advanced mode, Video/All settings, scroll to the bottom and uncheck 'Windows Media Video Acceleration', click Apply OK. Then My DVD will open with any menu style selected as default, without crashing.

I have no experience with other graphics card makes, but presumably their control settings will have a similar option.

The steps to diagnose and fix the problem were:

1. First I noticed that My DVD would open, and start loading the default menu (Home Theater), and that it was whilst loading that menu that the crash occurred.

2. I then thought to double click on a dmsd file that I had, that had the Seasons menu style. It opened My DVD and loaded the file without crashing.

3. I set the Seasons style as default, closed My DVD. Now it opened from the Home window or from its short cut in Start/programs, without crashing. Changing the menu style to Home Theater, it crashed while loading the new style; some menu styles gave no problems, a few others did.

4. I then went to C:\Program Files\Roxio\VideoUI 10\Content\Video which contains the wmv files for the menu styles. I played them in WMP 11. The ones that caused My DVD to crash also caused WMP to crash, if in Tools/Options/ Performance tab/Advanced, the option 'Turn on DirectX Video Acceleration' was checked, but played OK with that option unchecked. The ones that caused no problems in My DVD played fine in WMP with that option checked or unchecked.

5. I then unchecked the option 'Windows Media Video Accelration in CCC.

6. Now My DVD opens without problems for all the menu styles, including Home Theater and the other ones that previously caused the crash.

If in Windows Explorer, you look in the folder C:\Program Files\Roxio\VideoUI 10\Content\Video in details view and add the dimensions column, you will see that the problematic ones are 1920x1080. With my ATI XT800 GTO WMP cannot play that size file with Video acceleration on.

I hope this fix will help others with similar problem

Edited by jeanrosenfeld

Risada,

You need to start another New Topic and post exactly what is happening and your system specifications.

And try Roxio Technical Support.

Well..... I thought that since it was the same message error on the same program I could ask here, but thanks anyway.

Edited by Risada

For me the tip to move the file WMVDECOD.dll from the System32 directory to a newly created subdirectory named "BAK" did work.

As described earlier I downloaded a 1080p-HD-File from Microsoft and started it with Windows Media Player 11. The player suggested to download the wmvdecoder v9 from the internet to play the video. I confirmed and the video could be displayed.

Later I started MyDVD and it worked without crashing any more :)

Edited by LarsB

One of the common missing file errors. wmvdecod.dll occurs when the file is missing or corrupted. Below is the detail of the file 

File Type: Win32 DLL
File Size: 1.47MB - 2.5MB
Copyright: © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
Product Name: Microsoft Windows Operating System
Developer: Microsoft Corporation
File Versions: 4 versions available

In order to fix wmvdecod.dll, you just need to roll back or update your driver or for a detailed step by step method post How to fix wmvdecod.dll? This solved my Dvd crash with wmvdecod.dll.          

13 hours ago, debrasteed said:

One of the common missing file errors. wmvdecod.dll occurs when the file is missing or corrupted. Below is the detail of the file 

File Type: Win32 DLL
File Size: 1.47MB - 2.5MB
Copyright: © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
Product Name: Microsoft Windows Operating System
Developer: Microsoft Corporation
File Versions: 4 versions available

In order to fix wmvdecod.dll, you just need to roll back or update your driver or for a detailed step by step method post How to fix wmvdecod.dll? This solved my Dvd crash with wmvdecod.dll.          

Do you realize you just replied to a 13 year old thread?

In any case, the myDVD of 13 years ago is completely different from the current myDVD

Edited by bimicher