• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

How to edit a movie

Video Newbie

Question

Hi! I have captured a movie from my handycam and it has about 120 scenes in it. The capture shows all the separate scenes. I now want to edit it - lose some scenes, trim others etc but can't figure out how to do it. There are so many tools, I have no idea which one to use and the tutorial and help refer to screens that aren't labelled with the name the tutorial uses. (eg no screen has "Production Editor" on it as far as I can find). I can find help on "the timeline" and "the storyline"but no help on how to get to the timeline or storyline. Should I use CineMagic, MyDVD, VideoWave or what? I have tried MyDVD and CineMagic but they insist on going thru scene detection again and, once the scenes are detected, all I see is one 43 minute scene.

This is really confusing, especially without a manual.

9 answers to this question

I agree. I don't know now if I should try to edit a video in MyDVD or Videowave. Videowave will not open my .mpg file, but instead, it looks for some Roxio specific formats. So, I switched to MyDVD but I can not get a time line to show up. I found this in the tutorial for MyDVD:

"Editing Video Clips

If some of your video clips need trimming, or if you'd like to add special effects and transitions, select the video in the Preview area, then choose Edit Movie under the Movie menu. You'll be presented with a full timeline video editing system where you can also add background audio and photos to your movie. Once satisfied with your movie, click the "Back to Menu" button at middle top to return to the DVD menu view. "

I geet to this point, and only one frame shows up in the timeline window. How do I get the entire timeline? Or is that the way to proceed. I want to do exactly what the first person in this forum asked.....make an edited DVD from a home movie.

Any help is appreciated.

Joey

If you are sure you are in the timeline mode, you can stretch the timeline to anything you want. For instance make it about the width of your screen. Note you will only see the first image of each video clip, the rest will show up as a blue line. Use the preview screen and the "slider" to get to where you want to cut, use the thumb wheel to fine tune and then do your cutting there. Use the double headed arrow icon. Always make sure that you have selected where you want to work. There will be a dotted frame around the area that is selected.

Video Wave will open most video formats especially mpg2 formats. If it won't, there is a problem with your installation.

There is an online manual but that may just make you more frustrated. There are some Roxio made tutorials and some expert advice on using the program on this forum. Go to the Tips and Tricks area of EMC 9 and read some of those; they are pretty much the same in V10. Start with the one about "One way of doing it" and watch the home made videos.

I agree. I don't know now if I should try to edit a video in MyDVD or Videowave. Videowave will not open my .mpg file, but instead, it looks for some Roxio specific formats. So, I switched to MyDVD but I can not get a time line to show up. I found this in the tutorial for MyDVD:

"Editing Video Clips

If some of your video clips need trimming, or if you'd like to add special effects and transitions, select the video in the Preview area, then choose Edit Movie under the Movie menu. You'll be presented with a full timeline video editing system where you can also add background audio and photos to your movie. Once satisfied with your movie, click the "Back to Menu" button at middle top to return to the DVD menu view. "

I geet to this point, and only one frame shows up in the timeline window. How do I get the entire timeline? Or is that the way to proceed. I want to do exactly what the first person in this forum asked.....make an edited DVD from a home movie.

Any help is appreciated.

Joey

Video Editors Open Project files… For all else you use Add photo/movie.

The Help files do explain all of this.

For editing, use Videowave. Check out this tutorial for your question.

Tutorials:

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=15366

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=15528

http://www.roxio.com/enu/support/emc8/tutorials/

Some of the applications presented may no longer be available in version 10 such as Drag to Disc.

If you are sure you are in the timeline mode, you can stretch the timeline to anything you want. For instance make it about the width of your screen. Note you will only see the first image of each video clip, the rest will show up as a blue line. Use the preview screen and the "slider" to get to where you want to cut, use the thumb wheel to fine tune and then do your cutting there. Use the double headed arrow icon. Always make sure that you have selected where you want to work. There will be a dotted frame around the area that is selected.

Thank you. THis may be helpful. I did not know what to do in the timeline when I saw just one image. I expected to see all of the images spread out on the timeline.

joey

I can't even tell if I'm replying correctly. Just got my disc last night, good grief !

as a newcommer to video editing, I didn't expect to get no documentation on a program like this. Unbeleivable.

This is gonna be harder than 3rd grade !

"Editing Video Clips

Any help is appreciated.

Joey

I can't even tell if I'm replying correctly. Just got my disc last night, good grief !

as a newcommer to video editing, I didn't expect to get no documentation on a program like this. Unbeleivable.

25 years in the sign and graphics business and thousands of dollars on programs, but never seen on that I'm suppose to be able to work from scratch- and the reviewers all hyped the ease of use of the roxio products.

This is gonna be harder than 3rd grade !

Archived