• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 6 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

VideoWave: JPG duration limit?

E.T.

Question

I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in sales questions. I've been using EMC 7, and I would switch to this if it would solve my problem (otherwise I might be looking at a different product).

In VideoWave 7, when I try to make a simple jpg slideshow video w/music background, I am unable to set the duration of the pictures lower than 0.3 seconds. I don't understand why this is, but I understand that is a limitation of the program. Can anyone tell me if the the same limitation is present in the EMC 10 product? How fast can I make the pictures move in EMC 10, or is there anothe product I should be using? Thanks.

13 answers to this question

Dang! All I did was ask a question . . . I really didn't mean to cause so much fuss.

I appreciate David Drew's clever solution the best, but since I have a series of 30 or 40 pictures for this project, and don't want to have to drag every other one to another layer, I'm looking in the direction of stop motion animation software (Magpie in particular). But this forum is what gave me the idea to look in that direction, which I may not have thought of otherwise. I may do other projects like this one, and I want a program that can "move" a whole slew of pics quickly without tons of work. I just wish I understood why there is such a long time limit on the short end of the duration in VideoWave. . . .

Thank to everyone for the input and ideas of all kinds. Truly, thanks for being here.

Dang! All I did was ask a question . . . I really didn't mean to cause so much fuss.

Hey - not your fault. Some people seem to appear out of the woodwork every full moon and toss in a rant which has nothing top do with the original question :lol:

Hang round here long enough and you'll understand better what I mean ;)

Hi I was doing a simela thing to you with the JPGs flashing in time to music (less than 0.4 seconds) the way I over come it was adding in the jpegs over the original image on seperate layers (in my case 4) and then over lapping them, and setting them to fade out rapidly...

The end result was a flashing image on a fast drum fill.. hope this helps you.

Hi Dave

Hi I was doing a simela thing to you with the JPGs flashing in time to music (less than 0.4 seconds) the way I over come it was adding in the jpegs over the original image on seperate layers (in my case 4) and then over lapping them, and setting them to fade out rapidly...

The end result was a flashing image on a fast drum fill.. hope this helps you.

VERY GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!

Now HOW AMAZING is that! All you guys at Roxio, ALL you "digital Guru's" and ALL the forum support and this one guy, A NEWBIE with his first POST solves an intrguing problem.

GOOD on you Dave for a neat solution.

Where is all this useful information (hints & tips) hidden?

Roxio, where are the collected Hints, Tips and advice provided through users and Roxio staff?

Come on you guys help out the rest of us that might be struggling and provide some useful tutorials etc :)

Kind regards

Peter

Hi Dave

VERY GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!

Now HOW AMAZING is that! All you guys at Roxio, ALL you "digital Guru's" and ALL the forum support and this one guy, A NEWBIE with his first POST solves an intrguing problem.

GOOD on you Dave for a neat solution.

Where is all this useful information (hints & tips) hidden?

Roxio, where are the collected Hints, Tips and advice provided through users and Roxio staff?

Come on you guys help out the rest of us that might be struggling and provide some useful tutorials etc :)

Kind regards

Peter

With all the versatility of this software, if every way to do something was placed in a users manual, the manual would be 20,000 pages long. That's my guess why not everything is documented.

I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in sales questions. I've been using EMC 7, and I would switch to this if it would solve my problem (otherwise I might be looking at a different product).

In VideoWave 7, when I try to make a simple jpg slideshow video w/music background, I am unable to set the duration of the pictures lower than 0.3 seconds. I don't understand why this is, but I understand that is a limitation of the program. Can anyone tell me if the the same limitation is present in the EMC 10 product? How fast can I make the pictures move in EMC 10, or is there anothe product I should be using? Thanks.

When using SlideShow Assistant, the minimum slide duration was 2.0 seconds, and in VideoWave the minimum duration was 0.33 seconds. Hope this helps. (EMC 10)

Jim

With all the versatility of this software, if every way to do something was placed in a users manual, the manual would be 20,000 pages long. That's my guess why not everything is documented.

And Peter would be the first to whine about it being too big, 'can't you guys just make simpler so it isn't so heavy to lift?'

Thanks for the replies. I had taken a rapid series of pics and wanted to set them to music like a stop-motion animation, with the final result as an mpeg file. I wouldn't have thought my desire was so unique, and I'm bummed that I have to shop elsewhere for a product that will do what I want. Anyone have any brand recommendations? I appreciate any advice.

Ok, you win.

It never ceases to amaze me, how the quality of this forum so rapidly degrades when something is disliked by one (or more) of the forum members.

If the amount of futile typing that is applied to criticising myself and others could just be applied to actually helping, it would make the forum a better place for all concerned, especially newcomers.

I have found this forum to be the worst of many to which I subscribe.

Some of the regulars can be described as w*nkers or just plain old pains in the butt! You will know who you are without my needing to name you.

The level of support of this forum very rarely rises above mediocre. When it does as it did yesterday, with the very astute observation on video overlays to resolve a newbie’s question.

I was MOST surprised that the solution offered was from Dave Drew yet another newbie!

My complimentary post to Dave Drew seemed to have caused distain amongst those that both should have known better and quite possibly have been able to provide a solution to the initial problem.

It is disappointing and disheartening that even those members that are heralded as DIGITAL GURU’s could not offer the op a solution, it was even suggested that another video editor would be required. What surprises me more is the fact that the severely LIMITED moderation of this forum by the forums owner has not raised any objection to such comments and has quite happily let such comments slide? In addition to that, the forums owner, ROXIO themselves have failed the newbie’s op by not being able to offer a suitable solution.

With all the versatility of this software, if every way to do something was placed in a user’s manual, the manual would be 20,000 pages long. That's my guess why not everything is documented

So this is justification for not having a user’s manual. BTW, there IS a user’s manual and that’s ALL it is, a user’s manual. While it is good at providing instruction in the use of the program, it does nothing more than provide instructions on how to USE the program. There are NO decent tutorials, there are no REAL nitty gritty ADVANCED hints and tips as can be found in SOME of the posts in this forum.

Sure there is a Hints and Tips section for EMC9 and contrary to Jean Rosenfelds post...

EMC 9 section has a tips and tricks board with quite a few posts, most (possibly all) of which are applicable to EMC 10 as well. I see that a similar board has just been added to EMC 10 section (no posts yet). When someone can offer a useful tip or trick in answering a question posed in a thread, they should consider also posting it in the tips and tricks board (or the moderator may invite them to do so).

The EMC10 hint and tips “board” has been there since have been contemplating the EMC 10 upgrade. There was a SINGLE tip there a week ago, but that has been removed. I see today though that Tom at Roxio added a tip.

Of course one of the lesser mortals that pervade this forum has decided to denigrate that tip, as he blatantly states that - that tip is no good for him. While I have news for you, James Hardin there are other forum members that might just find this tip useful.

**That's the great value of this forum. Lots of people use their ingenuity to find workarounds to overcome the software's inevitable limitations or ways of donig things not thought of by the program designers,

Au contraire! There are NOT “Lots of people using their ingenuity” there may be a few but the info does not become common knowledge nor does it get stored in some useful repository.

and share that information here. In that sense, the posts here are the comprehensive 'manual'.

The hints and tips that may be REAL “gems” of information are hard to find because they are so interspersed with other irrelevant information.

I have in my (obviously biased) opinion tried to either do the right thing by others and have TRIED to encourage someone to provide or gather the more esoteric hints and / or tips and create a decent tutorial. Obviously this has not been seen as constructive as garndpabruce in his inimitable style of post deems EMC being SO versatile that such a USEFUL manual would be 20000 pages long, then Mr Hardin complains that I would whine about “it being to big”. Is this some obtuse justification for NOT having ANY such information available? How about 2 pages of really USEFUL stuff, not just the user manual?

Well guess what guys! Who would care if the user manual of GREAT hints, tips and other GOOD advice WAS 20000 pages long, That’s only 40mb of text anyway and these days of huge hard disks that is no longer a problem.

Those of you that are labelled as digital gurus should rethink your place in the hierarchy! When a newbie like David Drew can provide such a great and concise solution, your “guru” status loses much of it lustre.

Anyway, if you have read this far you’ll be happy to know that I have that Déjà Vu feeling. I seem to recall leaving this forum once before, under somewhat similar circumstances.

I appreciate the fact the EMC is a great product, however I think Roxio are at times “shooting themselves in the foot” and limiting their EMC sales. Newcomers to this forum are not really made to feel welcome. They are certainly not helped too much by any participant in this forum.

The digital gurus also hamper or potentially restrict future EMC sales by being at times, obnoxious to other forum posters.

There is no need to reply to this message for MY benefit. After this post, I am unsubscribing from the whole Roxio support forum. You can criticise, insult or just have a good laugh at my expense with the full knowledge that I will not see such posts.

John at Roxio – if you have read through all of this, I think it’s time you improved your forums or at least the manners of and representation of your members to the forum in general.

Final regards

Peter Sanders

Thanks for the replies. I had taken a rapid series of pics and wanted to set them to music like a stop-motion animation, with the final result as an mpeg file. I wouldn't have thought my desire was so unique, and I'm bummed that I have to shop elsewhere for a product that will do what I want. Anyone have any brand recommendations? I appreciate any advice.

You may have to look at an animation type program. None of the (4) video editors I have will do what you want.

Here is something to try. Make your slide show with the shortest duration you can. No music or transitions. Output it to a mpg2 file for DVD best quality and let it encode. Open another project and add that file. Now trim it to speed up the video. Now you can add music or other. Output that again to mpg2 for DVD best quality. See if that is what you are looking for.

Ok, you win.

It never ceases to amaze me, how the quality of this forum so rapidly degrades when something is disliked by one (or more) of the forum members.

If the amount of futile typing that is applied to criticising myself and others could just be applied to actually helping, it would make the forum a better place for all concerned, especially newcomers.

I have found this forum to be the worst of many to which I subscribe.

Some of the regulars can be described as w*nkers or just plain old pains in the butt! You will know who you are without my needing to name you.

The level of support of this forum very rarely rises above mediocre. When it does as it did yesterday, with the very astute observation on video overlays to resolve a newbie’s question.

I was MOST surprised that the solution offered was from Dave Drew yet another newbie!

My complimentary post to Dave Drew seemed to have caused distain amongst those that both should have known better and quite possibly have been able to provide a solution to the initial problem.

It is disappointing and disheartening that even those members that are heralded as DIGITAL GURU’s could not offer the op a solution, it was even suggested that another video editor would be required. What surprises me more is the fact that the severely LIMITED moderation of this forum by the forums owner has not raised any objection to such comments and has quite happily let such comments slide? In addition to that, the forums owner, ROXIO themselves have failed the newbie’s op by not being able to offer a suitable solution.

So this is justification for not having a user’s manual. BTW, there IS a user’s manual and that’s ALL it is, a user’s manual. While it is good at providing instruction in the use of the program, it does nothing more than provide instructions on how to USE the program. There are NO decent tutorials, there are no REAL nitty gritty ADVANCED hints and tips as can be found in SOME of the posts in this forum.

Sure there is a Hints and Tips section for EMC9 and contrary to Jean Rosenfelds post...

The EMC10 hint and tips “board” has been there since have been contemplating the EMC 10 upgrade. There was a SINGLE tip there a week ago, but that has been removed. I see today though that Tom at Roxio added a tip.

Of course one of the lesser mortals that pervade this forum has decided to denigrate that tip, as he blatantly states that - that tip is no good for him. While I have news for you, James Hardin there are other forum members that might just find this tip useful.

Au contraire! There are NOT “Lots of people using their ingenuity” there may be a few but the info does not become common knowledge nor does it get stored in some useful repository.

The hints and tips that may be REAL “gems” of information are hard to find because they are so interspersed with other irrelevant information.

I have in my (obviously biased) opinion tried to either do the right thing by others and have TRIED to encourage someone to provide or gather the more esoteric hints and / or tips and create a decent tutorial. Obviously this has not been seen as constructive as garndpabruce in his inimitable style of post deems EMC being SO versatile that such a USEFUL manual would be 20000 pages long, then Mr Hardin complains that I would whine about “it being to big”. Is this some obtuse justification for NOT having ANY such information available? How about 2 pages of really USEFUL stuff, not just the user manual?

Well guess what guys! Who would care if the user manual of GREAT hints, tips and other GOOD advice WAS 20000 pages long, That’s only 40mb of text anyway and these days of huge hard disks that is no longer a problem.

Those of you that are labelled as digital gurus should rethink your place in the hierarchy! When a newbie like David Drew can provide such a great and concise solution, your “guru” status loses much of it lustre.

Anyway, if you have read this far you’ll be happy to know that I have that Déjà Vu feeling. I seem to recall leaving this forum once before, under somewhat similar circumstances.

I appreciate the fact the EMC is a great product, however I think Roxio are at times “shooting themselves in the foot” and limiting their EMC sales. Newcomers to this forum are not really made to feel welcome. They are certainly not helped too much by any participant in this forum.

The digital gurus also hamper or potentially restrict future EMC sales by being at times, obnoxious to other forum posters.

There is no need to reply to this message for MY benefit. After this post, I am unsubscribing from the whole Roxio support forum. You can criticise, insult or just have a good laugh at my expense with the full knowledge that I will not see such posts.

John at Roxio – if you have read through all of this, I think it’s time you improved your forums or at least the manners of and representation of your members to the forum in general.

Final regards

Peter Sanders

Boy, you sure the hell are some ray of sunshine! :blink::blink: You incorrectly read more into my post, than was there. I never said there shouldn't be a users manual!

The guru designation, which you so much like to trash, is only a designation which is NOT a name that we picked, so rethinking the hierarchy is a moot point.

The level of support of this forum very rarely rises above mediocre. I guess you haven't read very many posts outside of your threads, or you would know what an absurd statement that was.

I have found this forum to be the worst of many to which I subscribe. Just another subjective statement by you. I have no clue what forums you subscribe to (nor care), but this is one of the most informational forums that I have seen.

You like to complain about the people here, who are trying to help others who are having problems, but I notice that you keep coming back. Why is that?

That's the great value of this forum. Lots of people use their ingenuity to find workarounds to overcome the software's inevitable limitations or ways of donig things not thought of by the program designers, and share that information here. In that sense, the posts here are the comprehensive 'manual'.

EMC 9 section has a tips and tricks board with quite a few posts, most (possibly all) of which are applicable to EMC 10 as well. I see that a similar board has just been added to EMC 10 section (no posts yet). When someone can offer a useful tip or trick in answering a question posed in a thread, they should consider also posting it in the tips and tricks board (or the moderator may invite them to do so).

Archived