• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Roxio_Central36.exe - Application Error

D.Cummens

Question

When exiting the main Easy Media Creator application launcher (roxio_central36.exe) I get the following error messsage:

Roxio_Central36.exe - Application Error

The instruction at "0x05d53435" referenced memory at "0x05fa3b28". The memory could not be "read".

Click OK to terminate the program.

I get the same error on both (XP SP2) computers. Any suggestions?

The Uniform Commercial Code that enforces consumer rights under the "point of sale" implied warranty is a relief one should pursue if software defects prevent it from perfoming as advertised. No one has to live with a defective product.

That is true if and ONLY if the defect is common to over 50% of the articles supplied - the percentage case in this issue is in single figures

It's not a blanket coverage - if 50 people buy tyres from a batch of thousands and they get punctures - does that imply the entire batch is defective?

I just installed EMC 10 today and get the same thing.

The instructions at "0x05cc63440" referenced memory at "0x5eb1fd0". The memory could not be "read.

Click OK to terminate the program.

Also when i received the package it was just a CD with no instructions at all. Should EMC previous versions be uninstalled be fore installing this version, or is an install over okay??

Are there any soulutions to the error problem yet?

I have installed Easy Media Creator 10 suite, and have the same problem: "Roxio_Central36.exe - Application Error. The instruction at "0x08523440" referenced memory at "0x08771fd0". The memory could not be "read"."

I performed the "clean install" (following the instructions to a "T") -- and still have the problem. The first forum posting for this error was in September 2007 -- has this been resolved yet? I suspect the error is prevalent -- but not all users have reported it to this forum.

This is not an isolated problem. I get the same thing except the references are to 0x06493437 and 0x066e3938 on a Windows Media Center box. And yes, I uninstalled V8 before installing V10.

Nor does the program work reliably for me. Modules sometimes hang up for no reason, other times work OK. "Convert Video" would die EVERY TIME I would try to 'Add Movies' -- until I enabled the 'create error log file' function ... go figure how that would fix it.

I've done the standard "clean" reinstall and that has no effect. (Be aware that you will have to uninstall EVERY module (13!) separately--uninstalling the Suite doesn't remove the individual applications. And then you have to check the Registry for any remnants that got left behind and remove them manually. Now that's user-friendly software).

Version 10 is bloated piece of garbage that seems nowhere close to ready-for-prime-time. I'd go back to Version 8 in a heartbeat if I thought I could completely remove 10 from the Registry and not screw it up worse than it is.

:huh: I just migrated from version 8 to 10 (I uninstalled 8 first) and I am getting the same error on exiting. What concerns me more is the large amount of CPU usage I am seeing in the Windows Task Manager Performance window. With my computer mostly idle I am getting 100% CPU usage, mostly from RoxWatchTray10.exe! What's up with that? And how do I stop it from crippling my computer?

No-one ever said it was isolated - what was said is that it's not a common problem and, in most cases, is down to the OS or another app causing the problem.

What is causing it is beyond most of us - as has been said, it doesn't show up on the majority of machines, just some

John from Roxio has been discussing this problem with me in PM. They are investigating it actively and working on a solution.

I just installed Roxio 10 on my computer today (XP 3 ghz, 2g ram, etc) and also get the same message when exiting. I even went to control panel and tried to "repair" EMC 10 but it didn't help. Otherwise, too, everything is working.

Hope we can eliminate this nuisance.

:huh: I just migrated from version 8 to 10 (I uninstalled 8 first) and I am getting the same error on exiting. What concerns me more is the large amount of CPU usage I am seeing in the Windows Task Manager Performance window. With my computer mostly idle I am getting 100% CPU usage, mostly from RoxWatchTray10.exe! What's up with that? And how do I stop it from crippling my computer?
IMHO for most people WatchTray is unnecessary bloatware. I stop it from loading at startup using a startup manager (http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/System-...k/Starter.shtml).

No-one ever said it was isolated - what was said is that it's not a common problem and, in most cases, is down to the OS or another app causing the problem.

What is causing it is beyond most of us - as has been said, it doesn't show up on the majority of machines, just some

I think we do know a cause, at least. Roxio and I have discussed it. Other applications (specifically Napster, which used to be part of Roxio, but maybe others) seem to use different versions of the same dll for burn/CDDB lookup and probably the same registry entry, so the applications fight over which 'owns it'.

Don't know if it is Napster's fault or Roxio, or if any other apps are affected, or indeed if there are any other causes. But one cause is fixable if Napster/Roxio get round to it!

Maybe you and Roxio 'know' - as I said, most of us here don't (unless there's a Roxio icon at the name, we don't work for them) but I have heard nothing so far which may point to where the fault comes from

It never happened on my machine, even during the beta phase

Maybe you and Roxio 'know' - as I said, most of us here don't (unless there's a Roxio icon at the name, we don't work for them) but I have heard nothing so far which may point to where the fault comes from

It never happened on my machine, even during the beta phase

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?...st&p=152062

The error message is different in XP to Vista, but if you inspect the event log it is (mostly at least!) the same issue.

I too have this same problem and tried on two computers with WinXP - SP2. Same results. Contacted tech spoke with Daniel and his response is simply live with it. I am not a squeaky wheel but I do when purchasing programs expect that they operate properly and if they don't help me fix it or you fix it. So I guess the bottom line is LIVE WITH IT!

I agree, this is the hardly an isolated problem judging by the number of posts,I have Xp sp2 and get the error everytime, yes the module's work, but I don't like to see error messages on shutdown on an expensive product..suggesting users 'live with it' is not a satisfactory response,they will just check out the competition more closely next time.

James, don't forget that early versions of Easy-CD Creator (up to 5, I think) were supplied by Adaptec, and the instructions which you reference for a clean install do not cover the situation where users had those products installed. My own installation of EMC10 failed and the cleanup instructions simply did not solve the problem. I solved the problem myself without help from the Roxio Community gurus (other than to follow the 'Clean Installation' paradigm).

I am not sure who 'owns' the Clean Installation instructions which you reference, but my suggestion would be to replace the directory list with:

C:\Program Files\Roxio

C:\Program Files\Sonic

C:\Program Files\Adaptec

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic Shared

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adaptec Shared

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Roxio

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sonic

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adaptec

C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Roxio

C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Sonic

C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Adaptec

C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Local Settings\Application Data\Roxio

and the registry section with:

Click on Start -> select Run. Type "regedit" then click OK

Double-click the HKEY_CURRENT_USER folder this will expand or open the folder.

Locate the Software folder.

Locate the Roxio folder.

Right click on Roxio and click delete.

Do the same for the Sonic folder.

Do the same for the Adaptec folder.

Close the HKEY_CURRENT_USER folder.

Do the same for the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE folder.

Double-click the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE folder this will expand or open the folder.

Locate the Software folder

Locate the Roxio folder

Right click on Roxio and click delete.

Do the same for the Sonic folder.

Do the same for the Adaptec folder.

Close the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE folder.

This solution worked for me after a great deal of frustration, and you may find this a helpful addition to your knowledge base.

Cheers,

Whatever happened to quality control? Or are some people out there not getting this error?

I tried making this program a DEP exception to see if that would help, but it didn't change anything.

That error didn't show up during beta testing and it's not really very common judging by the posts on it. It seems to crop up on some machines but not all

That error didn't show up during beta testing and it's not really very common judging by the posts on it. It seems to crop up on some machines but not all

It happens on my PC too, when I exit from VideoConvert. I guess that more users with this problem will comment.

Quality Control? You're having a laugh. The quality of this package is poor and the sort of errors surfacing - including the dreaded deletion of nearly all root directory files (C:\) when reinstalling (not just NTDLR!) - should have been found and cleared at the beta-test stage.

Yep, all modules seem to work fine so this is not a "tragic" error. I just adds another step to exiting the program. I does however indicate that all is not well yet with this release...

I too have this same problem and tried on two computers with WinXP - SP2. Same results. Contacted tech spoke with Daniel and his response is simply live with it. I am not a squeaky wheel but I do when purchasing programs expect that they operate properly and if they don't help me fix it or you fix it. So I guess the bottom line is LIVE WITH IT!

It happens on my PC too, when I exit from VideoConvert. I guess that more users with this problem will comment.

Quality Control? You're having a laugh. The quality of this package is poor and the sort of errors surfacing - including the dreaded deletion of nearly all root directory files (C:\) when reinstalling (not just NTDLR!) - should have been found and cleared at the beta-test stage.

You are having trouble finding your Reality Orientation and throwing around big words, like QC, won't help…

3 or 4 people in the million or so that are using this software is hardly a problem.

The NTDLR is strange. It effects only XP users and apparently only the English version. Roxio picked up on this from the forum posts and initiated action long before the hue and cry went up. They are working on this to isolate what is causing this and produce a fix that does no other harm.

Yet we have a lot of folks that chime in after all of this is in motion with their 'enlighten opinions'… Wow!

James,

I did not say that they were your instructions. I said the instructions which you reference, because you kindly provided a link in your post for the benefit of the reader.

I am aware that probably not many users of EMC10 made the jump in versions that I did. Nevertheless, it is not unknown and the instructions should IMHO state any limitations (e.g. they do not clean up versions earlier than 6.0 or whatever), or they should be complete and cover all known circumstances.

Cheers,

Jacob

John from Roxio has been discussing this problem with me in PM. They are investigating it actively and working on a solution.

Archived