A couple of MyDVD bugs

Jong1

Question

I am going to keep a list of problems (and any solutions) I identify in this first post to make it easy to read.

- If you try to rename a movie button using right click on the DVD disc browser you get the original text followed by something in Chinese/Japanese in the box which has to be deleted.

- Deleting audio from a menu corrupted the background for the next menu. You cannot select a new background to restore it. Attempting to edit the background displays an error message but then seems to reset the background to nothing and at this point you can add your original background again.

- Opening an existing project from within MyDVD (using recent file list or "open project") causes MyDVD to hang. If you try to use it you get a message that VideoWave is not responding. Forcing MyDVD to exit and then re-opening it causes the project to work. However, if you exit normally and then re-open the same problem occurs. It seems that in some way failing to open a project makes it open correctly the next, but only the next, time. However, projects always open fine if you double click on the project file in explorer.

- Moving project folders (folder containing project file and associated media) causes all the files to appear as missing. I would have though that MyDVD would automatically adjust links to files that are in the same folder as the project file. What is worse "browse for missing files" does not seem to work as advertised. There is no automatic search after an error. The help files suggest that you can use this tool to search for all missing files together. However the option is greyed out until you select an individual missing file; then using it only allows you to fix that one instance. To fix all you have to manually select each file and re-browse to the new location of your project folder. Very clumsy and very slow for big projects and NOT what the help file says should happen.

Notes: I will bump this thread when a new problem or solution is identified. I realise that some of these problems may be linked to system specification and/or specific project structure. If anyone in Roxio wants any more info on the system and/or projects causing these problems please feel free to ask.

- Opening an existing project from within MyDVD (using recent file list or "open project") causes MyDVD to hang. If you try to use it you get a message that VideoWave is not responding. Forcing MyDVD to exit and then re-opening it causes the project to work. However, if you exit normally and then re-open the same problem occurs. It seems that in some way failing to open a project makes it open correctly the next, but only the next, time. However, projects always open fine if you double click on the project file in explorer.

- Moving project folders (folder containing project file and associated media) causes all the files to appear as missing. I would have though that MyDVD would automatically adjust links to files that are in the same folder as the project file. What is worse "browse for missing files" does not seem to work as advertised. There is no automatic search after an error. The help files suggest that you can use this tool to search for all missing files together. However the option is greyed out until you select an individual missing file; then using it only allows you to fix that one instance. To fix all you have to manually select each file and re-browse to the new location of your project folder. Very clumsy and very slow for big projects and NOT what the help file says should happen.

I cannot duplicate yor first problem above

How can can you expect myDVD to know that you have moved your project files? I don't know of any program that will automatically search the system to find files that have been moved. The path of any myDVD source files is stored in the myDVD dmsd project files and if you move the files the path is then obviously incorrect.

"browse for missing files" works exactly as described in the Help file. There is no mention of an "automatic search" This is what the Help file says

• Browse: Click to navigate to the folder or device to which you have moved the files.
If you keep all you project files then its very easy and quick to navigate to the new folder if you have moved the folder.

This is interesting but it sure doesn't work that way here. Where are you pressing "connect"?

When I browse for missing files it will only ever have one file in the list - the file I had highlighted in the project view when I selected browse.

If I do not have a specific file selected then the "browse for missing files" option is greyed out.

If I select "Validate project then it will come up with a long list of "missing files" but my only options are to "cancel" or "go to error" if I "go to error" it again brings up the "browse for missing files" dialog with only the highlighted missing file from the previous screen in the list.

If I locate file and "connect" it only connects this one file.

I suspect my problem is understanding why only one file at a time ever appears in the "browse for missing files" list, but frankly I have no idea.

Jong1,

First of all I have to aplogize. I assumed you were using Videowave for your production but after rereading the post I see that you are using the editor via myDVD. I always believed that the basic functions of the editor in Videowave and myDVD were the same but apperently that is not so. I never use myDVD to create any video project, only for creating the menus and burning. All my editing is done with Videowave since that is the program that is meant to be used for editing. Many of us prefer VW since it offers more flexibility especially when it comes to saving and reusing projects.

I can now see why you are stating some of the behaviour with the missing files that I and others did not see. I was looking at the "Can not find required Files" in Videowave and you are looking at it in myDVD. You can see the differences for the same project in the images below. Videowave show all the missing files while myDVD only shows one missing file at a time. Once you relink the missing file in myDVD the next one appears in the list.

post-103-1190142961.jpg post-103-1190143164.jpg

When you launch both Videowave and myDVD, Task Manager shows them with identical executable program names but using different amounts of memory. While not really a bug it is another example of poor design and quality control

post-103-1190144162.jpg

Jong1,

First of all I have to aplogize. I assumed you were using Videowave for your production but after rereading the post I see that you are using the editor via myDVD. I always believed that the basic functions of the editor in Videowave and myDVD were the same but apperently that is not so. I never use myDVD to create any video project, only for creating the menus and burning. All my editing is done with Videowave since that is the program that is meant to be used for editing. Many of us prefer VW since it offers more flexibility especially when it comes to saving and reusing projects.

I can now see why you are stating some of the behaviour with the missing files that I and others did not see. I was looking at the "Can not find required Files" in Videowave and you are looking at it in myDVD. You can see the differences for the same project in the images below. Videowave show all the missing files while myDVD only shows one missing file at a time. Once you relink the missing file in myDVD the next one appears in the list.

When you launch both Videowave and myDVD, Task Manager shows them with identical executable program names but using different amounts of memory. While not really a bug it is another example of poor design and quality control

I thought he was using VideoWave, too. I should have looked at the title of the thread, again. :(

Jong1, always make your productions in VideoWave. It is the program that was designed for creating the productions.

I cannot duplicate yor first problem above

How can can you expect myDVD to know that you have moved your project files? I don't know of any program that will automatically search the system to find files that have been moved. The path of any myDVD source files is stored in the myDVD dmsd project files and if you move the files the path is then obviously incorrect.

"browse for missing files" works exactly as described in the Help file. There is no mention of an "automatic search" This is what the Help file says

• Browse: Click to navigate to the folder or device to which you have moved the files.
If you keep all you project files then its very easy and quick to navigate to the new folder if you have moved the folder.
OK. So you cannot duplicate the "open project" problem. As I said maybe it is something in the project (although it validates fine) that is breaking the "open" command. However, it is clearly a bug as two attempts to open a project work and opening the project file from explorer also works.

Regarding the finding of missing files, I am not asking for MyDVD to search the whole PC for missing files merely if the project file has moved and the original media was in the same folder to check this new "root" for the missing files. There are plenty of applications that work in this way, but I accept there is no obligation to do this. It would simply be elegant if it did.

You are wrong about "browse for missing files" working as described. My point here was different to the request for an automatic "fix" it was that the help files say:

"Cannot Find Required Files dialog box

This dialog box prompts you to locate missing files in your projects. Files might be missing if

- you move, delete, or rename them in Windows Explorer

- they are on a removable medium, such as a CD, that has been removed

- they are on a network drive to which your computer is not connected

If more than one file is missing, this dialog box prompts you for the location of each missing file."

In fact it does not prompt for each file in turn, the dialog simply exits leaving only one file found. You then have to click on the entry for each missing file in the project view and click "browse for missing files" again to fix each file in turn, re-browsing your file system from the old location to the new one each time. This is very slow and NOT as in the help documentation. I would expect that if it did work as in the documentation it would default to using the same new location for the next file as the one just found. This would save having to re-browse the file system to find each file.

Finally, there is a further bug in this function. It does not detect or fix missing backgrounds. You have to manually add the background back to each menu. I have not tried this myself but it is worth checking if missing audio is similarly not noticed. My guess is that it will not be.

Thanks to both of you. It is good to know I am not going mad!

In fact I have not really done any editing in MyDVD. In fact I use VideoReDo to edit MPEG2 files and then use MyDVD to burn the disc. VideoReDo is an excellent MPEG2 editor, only re-encoding up to the next/previous key frame at edit points. MyDVD does not have to re-encode anything, just burn the disc. All these files were merely imported into MyDVD.

Jon

If Jong1 and Frustrated customer2 can compare the other applications they both installed on their computers, we might be able to find out which app might have caused the issue since no other users from this thread could duplicate it.
Sorry that sounds like a fruitless way of proceeding. How many people do you think have tried using MyDVD10 in this way so far? How many are users of this forum? The fact that the problem has yet to be raised by others is hardly definitive. I am certainly not going to get into uninstalling multiple apps to fix a minor formatting bug in MyDVD. Roxio should know what they use to edit those fields and hence be able to narrow down the potential problem area.

And before you say "This is a user self-help forum, if you want Roxio help call support" all I am doing here is raising bugs and a few comments on a brand new version of EMC. I would expect Roxio to be monitoring this forum to spot potential problems early and jumping on them. If not they are wasting a valuable opportunity. However, if they don't I will limp along with the workarounds I have discovered. I know from bitter experience that calling a 1st line support desk for help with this kind of issue is fruitless at the best of times and totally pointless with a brand new product like this. I have better things to do with my time. But of course if someone in Roxio 2nd/3rd line wants more info to help resolve these issues I would gladly help.

Thanks to both of you. It is good to know I am not going mad!

In fact I have not really done any editing in MyDVD. In fact I use VideoReDo to edit MPEG2 files and then use MyDVD to burn the disc. VideoReDo is an excellent MPEG2 editor, only re-encoding up to the next/previous key frame at edit points. MyDVD does not have to re-encode anything, just burn the disc. All these files were merely imported into MyDVD.

Jon

VideoReDo is a great program for cutting out portions of a video. I used it quite often, when I was working a lot with MPEG2 files.

And, I am glad to see that you aren't going mad. :)

Sorry that sounds like a fruitless way of proceeding. How many people do you think have tried using MyDVD10 in this way so far? How many are users of this forum? The fact that the problem has yet to be raised by others is hardly definitive. I am certainly not going to get into uninstalling multiple apps to fix a minor formatting bug in MyDVD. Roxio should know what they use to edit those fields and hence be able to narrow down the potential problem area.

And before you say "This is a user self-help forum, if you want Roxio help call support" all I am doing here is raising bugs and a few comments on a brand new version of EMC. I would expect Roxio to be monitoring this forum to spot potential problems early and jumping on them. If not they are wasting a valuable opportunity. However, if they don't I will limp along with the workarounds I have discovered.

I know from bitter experience that calling a 1st line support desk for help with this kind of issue is fruitless at the best of times and totally pointless with a brand new product like this. I have better things to do with my time. But of course if someone in Roxio 2nd/3rd line wants more info to help resolve these issues I would gladly help.

:) Ditto

OK. So you cannot duplicate the "open project" problem. As I said maybe it is something in the project (although it validates fine) that is breaking the "open" command. However, it is clearly a bug as two attempts to open a project work and opening the project file from explorer also works.

Regarding the finding of missing files, I am not asking for MyDVD to search the whole PC for missing files merely if the project file has moved and the original media was in the same folder to check this new "root" for the missing files. There are plenty of applications that work in this way, but I accept there is no obligation to do this. It would simply be elegant if it did.

You are wrong about "browse for missing files" working as described. My point here was different to the request for an automatic "fix" it was that the help files say:

"Cannot Find Required Files dialog box

This dialog box prompts you to locate missing files in your projects. Files might be missing if

- you move, delete, or rename them in Windows Explorer

- they are on a removable medium, such as a CD, that has been removed

- they are on a network drive to which your computer is not connected

If more than one file is missing, this dialog box prompts you for the location of each missing file."

In fact it does not prompt for each file in turn, the dialog simply exits leaving only one file found. You then have to click on the entry for each missing file in the project view and click "browse for missing files" again to fix each file in turn, re-browsing your file system from the old location to the new one each time. This is very slow and NOT as in the help documentation. I would expect that if it did work as in the documentation it would default to using the same new location for the next file as the one just found. This would save having to re-browse the file system to find each file.

Finally, there is a further bug in this function. It does not detect or fix missing backgrounds. You have to manually add the background back to each menu. I have not tried this myself but it is worth checking if missing audio is similarly not noticed. My guess is that it will not be.

If I have 5 missing files and all the files are in one folder then if I browse to the folder containing the files, all the files are relinked at once when I click connect.

If the files are spread over several folders then you can use either the browse button or the Locate button to find the files. The locate button is only really to relink single files. If there are more then one missing file in the same folder you only need to use the browse button once.

If I have 5 missing files and all the files are in one folder then if I browse to the folder containing the files, all the files are relinked at once when I click connect.

If the files are spread over several folders then you can use either the browse button or the Locate button to find the files. The locate button is only really to relink single files. If there are more then one missing file in the same folder you only need to use the browse button once.

That's always been the case for me, if I mistakenly moved files, after I started a production.

It has worked the same, and flawlessly, since EMC 7. If it doesn't work, the user has something else that is wrong.

I believe the OP is talking about the following view

post-103-1189711323.jpg

If you right-click on one of the movies (after selecting the Menu tab) you get a drop-down menu containing "rename" as one of the options. I cannot duplicate the posters problem of spurious characters though. Also I don't know why you would want to rename anything at this point.

Ah, yes, I was clicking on the button. In any case I can't reproduce either.

- If you try to rename a movie button using right click on the DVD disc browser you get the original text followed by something in Chinese/Japanese in the box which has to be deleted.

- Deleting a background on a menu seems to corrupt the background for the next menu. You cannot select a new background to restore it. Attempting to edit the background displays an error message but then seems to reset the background to nothing and at this point you can add your original background again.

I can't reproduce your problem.

I can't reproduce any of your posted problems. But, it is good that you posted them.
Maybe I was not clear. Try right clicking on any movie button in the "project view"of MyDVD and selecting "rename". On my system this always adds a few spurious chinese characters to the end of the existing text and adds anything new after them.

Actually my error on the second problem. It occured when deleting audio from a menu. It corrupted the background of the next menu. Again though I am sure it is not quite as simpel as that!

I think that if we want to try to reproduce your findings, we need more info : which menu style and button styles you are using and exactly the structure of your project (e.g. how many added files, any chapter or othe sub menus, etc.).

Also, if I want to change the text of a button, I just double click on the text, highlight it and replace it with what I want. I don't see any 'rename' in the right click context menu.

I think that if we want to try to reproduce your findings, we need more info : which menu style and button styles you are using and exactly the structure of your project (e.g. how many added files, any chapter or othe sub menus, etc.).

Also, if I want to change the text of a button, I just double click on the text, highlight it and replace it with what I want. I don't see any 'rename' in the right click context menu.

I believe the OP is talking about the following view

post-103-1189711323.jpg

If you right-click on one of the movies (after selecting the Menu tab) you get a drop-down menu containing "rename" as one of the options. I cannot duplicate the posters problem of spurious characters though. Also I don't know why you would want to rename anything at this point.

I can't reproduce regardless of where I try to edit the button text (project view tree or the button text directly).
Hi guys. Thanks for your efforts to replicate this problem.

I have not installed any language packs but nor have I specifically disabled any standard Vista multi-language capabilities. Not something I have looked into at all. I am using UK English, if this makes a difference.

You have correctly identifed the area I am have a problem with. I had to edit these because for some reason on importing all the buttons were called "untitled"and I need to rearrange them onto diffferent menus.

Just to show I am not going mad here is what i get whenever I edit a button:

MyDVD.jpg

By the way I also have a bizzare bug where the first time I try to open this project the project view will load but not the main preview screen. MyDVD then goes unresponsive and when I try to use it I am told the Videowave is not responding. However, if I then force the program to quit and reload all works fine. :huh:

Even stranger if I then quit normally and reload I have the same problem again. Basically this project will only load after it has on the last attempt caused MyDVD to hang. Very very odd.

I have not installed any language packs but nor have I specifically disabled any standard Vista multi-language capabilities. Not something I have looked into at all. I am using UK English, if this makes a difference.
I have checked and no language packs are installed. "English (United Kingdom)" is set as my locale.

First post updated with more problems identified.

I ran into this similar problem when updating Office XP. During one of the updates, it inserted asian text and options into the menu and I would have the same problems when using Microsoft Word. A subsequent update corrected the problem and it is no longer a problem in the XP Office service pack 3. You might want to update your Office product and see if this may clear up the problem with EMC.

Sadly I just installed Office 2007 and the problem remains.

That's always been the case for me, if I mistakenly moved files, after I started a production.

It has worked the same, and flawlessly, since EMC 7. If it doesn't work, the user has something else that is wrong.

With the greatest respect guys you do seem the most protective, even defensive, "super users" I have come across!

I am not doubting there is something that is tripping up EMC in a non-standard way here. However, if it is happening to me I am sure it will happen to others. That is why the development/support team need to track this forum in its early weeks. In the nicest possible way, just saying "it works fine for me, you must have something wrong with your computer and/or project" is not really getting us anywhere.

Fundamentally this product is working very well. Nothing has come up yet that does not have a workaround and MyDVD10 is amazingly powerful compared to MyDVD5 which I have been using for the last few years, which i was very happy with and which was the reason I upgraded when moving to Vista.

However, bugs there clearly are and being the gurus that you are you will appreciate that, in the wonderful world of Windows, just because something works on one system does not mean that everyone else who has a problem is at fault. Some professional help is needed to see if it is specifics of the project that are causing the problem or some incompatibility with Vista configurations and/or other software.

Archived