• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 21 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Sound Editor

itsme51

Question

I have used Sound Editor to create audio files previously with no problem. Recently I tried to edit a couple of mixes I created just last week. I click Open Project, the dmse file I want to edit is on the list, but when I try to open it I get message File Not Found. But is WAS found. Sound Editor found it in my list of projects. What could have happened to cause the file not to open? This happened to several of my projects.

I have not added new software or hardware in the recent past and these files were created just last week. I do not have WMP 11 or IE7. Suggestions anyone?

10 answers to this question

I have used Sound Editor to create audio files previously with no problem. Recently I tried to edit a couple of mixes I created just last week. I click Open Project, the dmse file I want to edit is on the list, but when I try to open it I get message File Not Found. But is WAS found. Sound Editor found it in my list of projects. What could have happened to cause the file not to open? This happened to several of my projects.

I have not added new software or hardware in the recent past and these files were created just last week. I do not have WMP 11 or IE7. Suggestions anyone?

I just tried opening a couple of the ones that I created 2 years ago, and they opened. What happens if you try to open a file from My Computer, by double clicking on it?

Thanks for the lead. However, upon reading the thread to which you refer, it was mentioned "in order to keep the fixes . . . you have to export it; not just save the project."

I'm a bit confused now. I have created many projects similar to the one that is in question and always in the past I have used "save project as" which creates a dmse file. This procedure has always saved the fixes. Then when I want to come back to the project to make further adjustments I just "open project" and the dmse file opens in Sound Editor. I ususally work with projects that have several tracks and I often make different adjustments to each track. (one track may have more bass, another track may have a volume fade, etc). It is important to me to be able to open the dmse file and have my previous fixes in place and all the tracks remain separate tracks. The only time I ever export is when I am satisifed with my project and am ready to export as a wav file. I have supplied this background in order for you to understand where I am coming from and for you to see my steps in to instruct me if I am doing something wrong.

I want all the tracks in my project to remain as separate tracks. The only time I ever want to combine all is when I export as a wav (which in my mind is my final finished audio file). Even after I export the mix to a wav file I still keep the dmse should I ever decide to make any further changes because the dmse maintains all the tracks separately. I can conceivably continue to make changes and create an entirely new final wav file.

So - finally :-)

My question is - is it actually necessary for me to "export" rather than "save project" (since save project has been working all along except for the currnet trouble I am having with this one project). If I export, can I export a dmse file or does the file extension have to change? Would I actually be exporting each track separately?

Thanks for the lead. However, upon reading the thread to which you refer, it was mentioned "in order to keep the fixes . . . you have to export it; not just save the project."

I'm a bit confused now. I have created many projects similar to the one that is in question and always in the past I have used "save project as" which creates a dmse file. This procedure has always saved the fixes. Then when I want to come back to the project to make further adjustments I just "open project" and the dmse file opens in Sound Editor. I ususally work with projects that have several tracks and I often make different adjustments to each track. (one track may have more bass, another track may have a volume fade, etc). It is important to me to be able to open the dmse file and have my previous fixes in place and all the tracks remain separate tracks. The only time I ever export is when I am satisifed with my project and am ready to export as a wav file. I have supplied this background in order for you to understand where I am coming from and for you to see my steps in to instruct me if I am doing something wrong.

I want all the tracks in my project to remain as separate tracks. The only time I ever want to combine all is when I export as a wav (which in my mind is my final finished audio file). Even after I export the mix to a wav file I still keep the dmse should I ever decide to make any further changes because the dmse maintains all the tracks separately. I can conceivably continue to make changes and create an entirely new final wav file.

So - finally :-)

My question is - is it actually necessary for me to "export" rather than "save project" (since save project has been working all along except for the currnet trouble I am having with this one project). If I export, can I export a dmse file or does the file extension have to change? Would I actually be exporting each track separately?

If you export the mix, or whatever, it doesn't export it as a .dmse file. You export it as a .wav or .mp3 file that can be used in VideoWave, etc.

I don't think that is what you are trying to accomplish, for now.

I just tried opening a couple of the ones that I created 2 years ago, and they opened. What happens if you try to open a file from My Computer, by double clicking on it?

First let me add that I opened other dmse files that I created last week, last month, etc. with no problem. Just seems to be this one.

I did as you suggested and tried to open from My Computer by double clicking. No good.

When I double click on the file Sound Editor opens and box comes up with this message "File Not Found - Please enter the path to the requested file." There is a window to type a path so I did that, clicked OK and got this message "File does not exist or is not a supported audio file".

Since I created this in Sound Editor I don't understand why it does not exist or is not a supported audio file.

I have created several versions of this project because I am playing around with different effects. I saved each version with a different name so as not to save over the original. I cannot open ANY of the 4 versions or the original of this file but they are all listed as dmse files.

I also note that when I do a search of my hard drive each file name appears 2 times. File type on one is "dmse". File type on the other is "shortcut". Is this a problem?

Another thing I noticed is that when the "File Not Found" message comes up with the window to type a path name, there is already a path typed in the window although it is incorrect.

The worse case scenario is that I could create the project all over again but I sure would like to avoid that.

If you export the mix, or whatever, it doesn't export it as a .dmse file. You export it as a .wav or .mp3 file that can be used in VideoWave, etc.

I don't think that is what you are trying to accomplish, for now.

You are correct. What I am trying to do is work in Sound Editor on a Roxio Sound Editor dmse project file. I am an amateur (very amateur) singer. I open Sound Editor, add audio file (karaoke music that is a wma file) to layer 1 / track 1. Then I record my singing on layer 2 / track 2. I save the file as a Sound Editor dmse project file. This is my basic mix. Then I open the dmse project file, add effects to each individual layer/track and save that file as a second version of the dmse. I do this several times creating new versions with various effects. I do not save over any of them because I want to keep all the versions so I can play them back and compare them in order to reach a point where I am satisifed enough with one of the mixes to export it to a wav file. (I am new at this and I have gained tremendous respect for professional sound mixers. Now I see why they have their own category for Oscar Awards !) When I accumulate several wav files I burn these wav files to an audio CD. I have done this on several occasions with no trouble. For some reason the current dmse project file on which I am working will not open although 5 verions of it clearly exist. Guess I'll go work on my scrapbooking for a while and give it a rest. Thanks all for your suggestions.

First let me add that I opened other dmse files that I created last week, last month, etc. with no problem. Just seems to be this one.

I did as you suggested and tried to open from My Computer by double clicking. No good.

When I double click on the file Sound Editor opens and box comes up with this message "File Not Found - Please enter the path to the requested file." There is a window to type a path so I did that, clicked OK and got this message "File does not exist or is not a supported audio file".

Since I created this in Sound Editor I don't understand why it does not exist or is not a supported audio file.

I have created several versions of this project because I am playing around with different effects. I saved each version with a different name so as not to save over the original. I cannot open ANY of the 4 versions or the original of this file but they are all listed as dmse files.

I also note that when I do a search of my hard drive each file name appears 2 times. File type on one is "dmse". File type on the other is "shortcut". Is this a problem?

Another thing I noticed is that when the "File Not Found" message comes up with the window to type a path name, there is already a path typed in the window although it is incorrect.

The worse case scenario is that I could create the project all over again but I sure would like to avoid that.

Darn. I thought that that would do it. Somehow, the file must have gotten corrupted. :(

You are correct. What I am trying to do is work in Sound Editor on a Roxio Sound Editor dmse project file. I am an amateur (very amateur) singer. I open Sound Editor, add audio file (karaoke music that is a wma file) to layer 1 / track 1. Then I record my singing on layer 2 / track 2. I save the file as a Sound Editor dmse project file. This is my basic mix. Then I open the dmse project file, add effects to each individual layer/track and save that file as a second version of the dmse. I do this several times creating new versions with various effects. I do not save over any of them because I want to keep all the versions so I can play them back and compare them in order to reach a point where I am satisifed enough with one of the mixes to export it to a wav file. (I am new at this and I have gained tremendous respect for professional sound mixers. Now I see why they have their own category for Oscar Awards !) When I accumulate several wav files I burn these wav files to an audio CD. I have done this on several occasions with no trouble. For some reason the current dmse project file on which I am working will not open although 5 verions of it clearly exist. Guess I'll go work on my scrapbooking for a while and give it a rest. Thanks all for your suggestions.

Well, there is nothing else that I can suggest, outside of re-creating the project. :(

Archived