Does anyone know if EMC 9.1 update addresses the compatability issue between Vista's Dream Scene feature and EMC9DS?

Pamela2U

Question

After upgrading from EMC9 basic edition that was included on my system (OEM) to EMC9 Deluxe Suite I can no longer use my Windows Vista Ultimate Dream Scene feature. I get a message stating that Windows Dreamscene has encountered an unrecoverable error while decoding the video. My desktop then goes black. After working with support from from Microsoft, Hp and Roxio even, I was left choosing between the Dreamscene feature and the EMC9DS. I was hoping eventually enough people would have the same issue and Roxio would come up with a fix. Does anyone now if the 9.1 updated version has a fix for this problem?Any Info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

9 answers to this question

After upgrading from EMC9 basic edition that was included on my system (OEM) to EMC9 Deluxe Suite I can no longer use my Windows Vista Ultimate Dream Scene feature. I get a message stating that Windows Dreamscene has encountered an unrecoverable error while decoding the video. My desktop then goes black. After working with support from from Microsoft, Hp and Roxio even, I was left choosing between the Dreamscene feature and the EMC9DS. I was hoping eventually enough people would have the same issue and Roxio would come up with a fix. Does anyone now if the 9.1 updated version has a fix for this problem?Any Info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi,

Well, I started off with the EMC9.05 basic edition (OEM) and had to "update" it to the 9.00 retail before I could apply the 9.1 fix (talking about making things complex). But now I ended up with EMC 9.1 on my Vista Ultimate system and Dream Scene is working as always... which means it runs, but frequently crashes with the same error you got. But since that happens to dreamscene on any configuration (with or without EMC being installed) I ran it on for the last half year, I doubt it to be EMC's fault specifically ;)

Anyway, Microsoft has promised to update the Dreamscene preview (which it still is!) by the end of summer, so we all have to wait just one more week before we get the final version (yeah, sure). As you know we can trust software companies when it comes to releasing product updates by the promised deadline :lol:

Martin

I cannot find the solution, but I have found a work-around. While browsing through my pic's and video's, I found that I could set a wmv formatted video as my background. I located the Dreamscene Videos on my machine (C:\windows\web\dreamscene), used Emc9DS to convert them from mpg format to wmv format. Emc automatically made a copy of each video in the wmv format, they were automatically saved to C:\Users\Pamela\Documents\My Movies and automatically listed in Vista's change background list. (Look for the my movies folder though, not Dreamscene, those video's are the originals and have not been converted.) You can set the converted video's as background this way or manually from the My Movies folder by right clicking on the video you want and click on set as background.

I think you have to change the video's to a format that DivX support's. I found a list of supported video formats/codecs on their site, mpeg1, mpeg2(plug-in required), wmv 7-9, DivX 3-6, Xvid and mjpeg motion jpeg.

I set mine about a week ago, I've had no issue's, no error's.

For those with the same issue, hope this help's. :)

Nope, 9.1 didn't address the issue of the Windows Vista Dreamscene conflict...Well, at least for my machine. :(

The only difference for me was the loss of a couple EMC9DE features... No other changes at all.

Why would you think that the 9.1 patch was going to address some problem that Microsoft has with Dreamscene? Did you read mdekker's post?

Thanks for all replies.

Mdekker, I'm so glad to hear that I am not the only soul with this issue... I was beginning to wonder. I have spent much time the past couple of months in knowledge bases trying to find this error. For me, I'm pretty sure that it is EMC9DS, as DreamScene worked perfectly prior to upgrading from EMC9 basic, my OEM version to the Deluxe Suite. At that time the upgrade was the only change to my system. I read that Vista has known conflicts with Divx. It's a program within the EMC program I assume. Support had me uninstall the EMC9DS to verify that it was infact the program and sure enough DreamScene ran well again. Though I recall like you, dreamscene did crash a few times but windows would quickly recover it for me. It happened only a few times and distant between times. I hardly gave it any thought. Do you have a link where I could read about Microsofts DreamScene update that is to be released soon? Who knows, maybe they will come through...

I read that the 9.1 update version has less features, Are you happy with the update or wish you had just kept 9.0? Of course you were probably used to using basic... The basic version was limiting.

I really favor using EMC to all other programs I've tried over the years, and there were quite a few... When I purchased this machine, I have six, I wanted to put only the better progs...

From what I've read in knowledge bases Vista is not a very friendly OS...

Thanks so much for your time.

I am seeing two different stories here. mdekker says it happens whether or not EMC 9 is on the computer. Do the programs in EMC 9 work for you?

Yes, all features in EMC9DS work fine. I had no more issues than everyone else, the dla block etc.,.

Yes, Windows Dreamscene did crash a few times prior to upgrading to the deluxe suite, but windows would recover it within seconds, thus like Mdekker I paid little attention to it. It wasn't something that happened often and it lasted for only seconds. I thought perhaps I had too many things running. I use my system for photo slideshows and home videos, etc.,. so I am always running several programs at once...

After I upgraded from the EMC basic that came with my system, Dreamscene doesn't work at all, a second or two after setting the scene I get the error. Same as Mdekker.

After working with support from Microsoft, HP, and Roxio I was basically told I would have to choose...

I did find out though that Divx has known issues with Vista. I have other programs that use Divx, and used them prior to the upgrade with no issues. Even the Dreamscene worked fine.

I was just hoping for a fix so I wouldn't have to choose. I updated the post after installing 9.1 and the Dreamscene update in Sept., because I know that people( like myself) search forums for fixes by reading other peoples posts with the same issues.

Though I wouldn't tell others with this issue not to try 9.1 or the Dreamscene update, as everyone has different machines and though they may have the same error message, theirs may be caused by something completely different than mine. It is a large download. I was a bit disappointed when between the two I saw really no change, less a few missing features. I was just hoping...

Why would you think that the 9.1 patch was going to address some problem that Microsoft has with Dreamscene? Did you read mdekker's post?

Yes, I did. But, being that my Dreamscene did work prior to upgrading to EMC9DE, I just hoped that perhaps...

I removed EMC just to make sure it was causing "my" issue, and Dreamscene worked fine again. Though Vista has it's quirks, EMC is the culprit in my Dreamscene issue.

When something stops working, you hope for updates and fixes. I had just hoped that between the 9.1 release and the Microsoft Dreamscene update in Sept., one would fix the conflict.

I hate losing one program to gain another. One shouldn't have to. 9 was supposed to be compatible with Vista. Apparently, something within the program is not.

mdekker, did the Microsoft Dreamscene update in late Sept. fix your error?

Yes, I did. But, being that my Dreamscene did work prior to upgrading to EMC9DE, I just hoped that perhaps...

I removed EMC just to make sure it was causing "my" issue, and Dreamscene worked fine again. Though Vista has it's quirks, EMC is the culprit in my Dreamscene issue.

When something stops working, you hope for updates and fixes. I had just hoped that between the 9.1 release and the Microsoft Dreamscene update in Sept., one would fix the conflict.

I hate losing one program to gain another. One shouldn't have to. 9 was supposed to be compatible with Vista. Apparently, something within the program is not.

mdekker, did the Microsoft Dreamscene update in late Sept. fix your error?

I am seeing two different stories here. mdekker says it happens whether or not EMC 9 is on the computer. Do the programs in EMC 9 work for you?

Archived