What's your opinion on the 9.1 patch?

smonteijr

Question

Well, was the patch worth the wait? Has the 9.1 patch fixed any of your bugs or exasparated them?

I've also found that you can't find the patch under www.roxio.com--> Software Updates, by using the Search ("9.1/patch/9.1", "9.1/update/9.1", "easy media creator 9 patch", "easy media creator 9 update", and other words) feature on Roxio, or by Support by Product.

...I have installed the Driver from Pinnacle, the DVC90 Driver for Vista and the 9.1 upgrade. I still get no audio when I try to capture from my tv or vcr. Could my computer have some sound device that is blocking the Audio from the dazzle?

In my opinion yes...

That's only my opinion without much to back it up, but it is based on Vista's re-design of the audio process... Until Vista audio hardware drivers often worked in kernel mode so they could directly access the audio chips, whether on the motherboard or a separate card. Vista threw them a curve, since they can no longer use kernel mode drivers, and they've had to try to figure out ways around it for hardware that was designed to use kernel mode drivers. For some people audio capture from the DVC90 works, for others it doesn't. I *Think* it's because of their audio hardware drivers or possibly other software installed, but I haven't seen any threads listing the hardware for those systems where it works so this is just a guess.

Different people have also had different experiences depending on their USB hardware and the way the DVC90 was connected -- it won't work at all for me if I go through a hub for example. My Abit motherboard also has USB ports directly off the motherboard & a set that connects to a plug on the motherboard -- the DVC90 will work off one, not the other.

That said, I'd suggest posting in the capture &/or maybe the Deluxe section of the forum, giving a detailed listing of your hardware and asking if anyone's got the DVC90 fully working in Vista with that hardware. You can also keep an eye on the Pinnacle site -- the driver files themselves are a bit old, and hopefully they're not done updating the drivers for Vista. Since it seems that they try to use a unified driver (1 works on several devices) there's reason to hope for another version.

Well, was the patch worth the wait? Has the 9.1 patch fixed any of your bugs or exasparated them?

I've also found that you can't find the patch under www.roxio.com--> Software Updates, by using the Search ("9.1/patch/9.1", "9.1/update/9.1", "easy media creator 9 patch", "easy media creator 9 update", and other words) feature on Roxio, or by Support by Product.

The update worked fine for me as well in Vista Ultimate. I have Creator Deluxe. The main problem I had with the old software was I could never get the Video Capture to work with the DAZ90 USB device, would get unknown error after about 8 seconds. It now works so I can capture video.

Still a bit disappointed with Roxio support. They really should of had the 9.1 patch out long time ago. Normally when they release a new version they start with the patched version of the privous version and build from there. When I bought 9.0 I it was advertised to work with Vista. I had a very had time getting it to install finally found the clean install information and finally got it installed. Then I had problem finding drivers for the DAZ device. One would think they would include them with the Device, and they would be Vista Drivers available. Not the case. Finally was able to find some, but then the unknown error on the capture program. With little help on this forum to get that error resoved.

Anyway think I hold off on buying Version 10 since 9.1 seem to work ok so far......

Do you have the 32 bit or 64 bit version of Vista?

Just looking at the consensus of comments here , most with WinXP SP2 and Vista x86 have few issues (there is the odd person ) but most of the Vista 64bit seem to have the issues with both EMC9 , 9.1 and the patch to .... reason ...pass don't know why , but i assume that there just seems little support and software that seems to run on it at this stage...

even Microsoft's own new release of the Live suit (MSN 8.5, Live Mail , Live Search, ect ect) has no support for 64bit...?

so much for that is the road MS said they were going down.

Been all day trying to install EMC9, the DLA patch, then the 9.1 upgrade. Never made it thru to completion yet.

ONE conclusion is that the DLA patch won't work unless EMC9 was installed to the default location.

From a clean install of 9.0, the 9.1 patch is hanging on every sub-application of EMC9, saying I must uninstall before it can upgrade. I've clicked "yes" to allow each and every uninstall but they've all failed. I gave them all one retry and same results. Have clicked "no" to not install the problem app as that's the only way to get the installation progress bar to advance.

Still at it after 2 1/2 hours....

SW

I bet you are using Vista 64bit. I had exactly the same experience.

Apparently Roxio thinks that EMC9.0 installs in "Program files", while, in fact, in Vista 64 bit, EMC9.0 installs in "Program files (x86)". In Vista 32 bit, EMC9.0 does install in "Program files" and EMC9.1 update does properly uninstall 9.0 in the process of installing 9.1.

I sent an e-mail to Tech Support regarding the removal of Backup MyPC. Here is their answer.... Due to various compatibility concerns, BackupMyPC has been discontinued in the 9.1 update. Funny isn't it that now they talk about compatibility issues.

BackupMY PC is still there when I did a clean install of version 9 then immediately upgraded to 9.1, So far applications seem to be working.

Vista Home Premium

Do you have the 32 bit or 64 bit version of Vista?

32 bit version of Home Premium

Well.. The patch causes my main computer to crash and reboot near the very end of the long patching process. I have to go in and uninstall everything one at a time.. reinstall emc 9.0 and run the patch again, only to have it crash and reboot. On my laptop, the patch went through and I have been able to get around, disk copier crashes everytime I click on the add movies button.

anyone else who has vista get this to work? XP ppl do not count.. this is the vista forum.

PKing

The update worked fine for me as well in Vista Ultimate.

Blaze, you're back. I have no clue what you mean by current standard OS, but Vista 64 is not standard anything, but I agree with you that the software should work with Vista.

Yeah I still come around now and then to see of Roxio has squashed some of the bugs. It would be nice if they would unblock my IP though. That's annoying.

To the subject here, while everyone is more than willing to point the finger at Vista (not my favorite OS either) sometimes you have to lay the blame at the feet of the product that is having all of the troubles which in this case is Roxio 9. If there is a "disaster", as Mr.Hardin so eloquently puts it, then it's Roxio 9. I have a triple-boot system (XP/XPx64/Vista64) and none of my other apps are having any difficulty on Vista 64.

By the way, take a wild guess what is _extremely_ odd regarding me and Roxio. For about 4 months I was getting tons of Roxio SPAM wanting me to upgrade to v.9.x even though I already had it. Now 10 is out and I haven't received a single mail.

To stop Drag 2 Disc from opening with Windows, you can use any number of utilities to stop it from autostarting -- the more geek-type users will probably love System Internals Autoruns avail. free from microsoft.com -- but in essence all you need to do is go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Start menu -> Run -> type in regedit & click OK. Navigate to the above key & set a bookmark for next time. Right click the key and export to save it to a file -- remember what you named it and where you put it! In the right half of the window you'll see a bunch of programs that start with Windows -- right click and delete the one for Drag 2 Disk. To put things back, double click the .reg file you saved, and click OK to merge it into your registry. Drag 2 Disk will then only run when you start it.

---------------------

I've got a longer post in the install section of the forum... After using the custom install option for the update, I have v. 9.1.1.68 of backup.

---------

Personally I'm not a fan of using EMC9 to copy DVD's to DivX -- that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it, but just that I'm not the most familiar with using EMC9 to do the job. Still, if you have to copy a DVD to hdd first, that would suggest to me that there's something funky about the DVD, as in copy protection or maybe a different type of structure, like DVD-VR from a recorder. Or maybe the drive has trouble reading the disc -- copying it I'd think has more fault tolerance (might try a read several times) than the optimized DivX encoder. At any rate since hdd access is so much faster than the copy-limited speed of your drive, it's not really a bad thing to just copy the DVD files to hdd in the 1st place.

-------------

RE: DLA... At least from tests that I've run, DLA is updated with the update, and what's on your hdd might be sort of irrelevant to the update. Long story short, not sure that updating the patch after re-installing 9 is worth it.

---------------

hope that something in all that might help someone

I've installed the patch twice now after rolling back my PC with trueimage for a different software reason. Both times the patch has installed without a problem under Vista 32bit. I'm still getting the drag to disk icon opening up? Does this work with Vista? (not tried it)

Then I installed the BUMP upgrade that was available sometime last week, (version 7.1.0) and that works perfectly as well.

The only problem I experienced was in trying to create a DivX from a DVD disc. I had to copy the disc to my HD first, then create the DivX from the iso file.

Anyone know a way around this?

I feel i'm finally getting to enjoy this software and discovering new areas to play with. :)

There is more than enough evidence that Vista 64 is a disaster in a pretty box with almost no saving graces…

On topic or not, you are clinging to an OS that has not matured yet. Gee Mister Ford, how long can we keep this Edsal on the market?

Like I or not, it is the current standard OS and Roxio has stated that this is compatible and certified on all flavors of Vista. Obviously your analogy to the Edsel is very mistaken as well.

Like I or not, it is the current standard OS and Roxio has stated that this is compatible and certified on all flavors of Vista. Obviously your analogy to the Edsel is very mistaken as well.

Blaze, you're back. I have no clue what you mean by current standard OS, but Vista 64 is not standard anything, but I agree with you that the software should work with Vista.

I could have sworn that I saw it in there, when I installed the full 9.1 version, some time ago. It could be a senior moment, once again, or it isn't there with the patch installed. :(

I don't have 9.1 installed anymore, so I can't check.

Can someone out there please provide a link for the updated version of Backup MyPC? It seems confusing to me that Roxio Support is stating that it's been removed and yet some of you have been able to get an update to 7.1.0. Maybe Tom or John at Roxio could shed some light on the subject. Thanks!

The update crashed for me twice last night on my main computer. It was too late to continue trying, but I will continue to try after work tonight.

My laptop, where the patch worked, seems to load up the program now. However, disk copier does not work, and I have not had time to test anything else at this point.

PKing

I've installed the patch twice now after rolling back my PC with trueimage for a different software reason. Both times the patch has installed without a problem under Vista 32bit. I'm still getting the drag to disk icon opening up? Does this work with Vista? (not tried it)

Then I installed the BUMP upgrade that was available sometime last week, (version 7.1.0) and that works perfectly as well.

The only problem I experienced was in trying to create a DivX from a DVD disc. I had to copy the disc to my HD first, then create the DivX from the iso file.

Anyone know a way around this?

I feel i'm finally getting to enjoy this software and discovering new areas to play with. :)

Where did you find BUMP 7.1.0? Must it be purchased separately?

Not everyone can afford to buy shiny!

A friend of mine had a CD-RW burner go out. Couldn't afford a new one. Of course I have a few on hand so it was not a problem.

For some even blank media is a stretch of the family budget. Gotta keep that in mind.

Now I am worried reading this thread. My 9 came on an HP media machine, as follows.

Roxio Creator Basic v9

Version: 9.0.095

Build: 900B95J, HMP

Serial Number: 15-HMSJ0-FS95V-03745

Copyright: Sonic Solutions 2006

As of now I am guessing I am out of luck for an update because it came bundled and a big part of why I bought that machine. Not that I consider 750 MB and update, thats like the whole dang program.

consistent with other posts here, I got an error message on the install and it crashed

No problem for me... but I used the control panel to remove all the Vista-bundled Roxio stuff before loading EMC9 from CD... and then loading EMC9.1 from the download link.

Uh, but, sadly enough, there are no apparent differences (for me) between 9.0 and 9.1 - my problem remains unfixed. See thread in this forum started under my name.

Steve

Now I am worried reading this thread. My 9 came on an HP media machine, as follows.

Roxio Creator Basic v9

Version: 9.0.095

Build: 900B95J, HMP

Serial Number: 15-HMSJ0-FS95V-03745

Copyright: Sonic Solutions 2006

As of now I am guessing I am out of luck for an update because it came bundled and a big part of why I bought that machine. Not that I consider 750 MB and update, thats like the whole dang program.

Edit out your serial number. If you have an OEM version of EMC 9, the patch won't work for you.

Just looking at the consensus of comments here , most with WinXP SP2 and Vista x86 have few issues (there is the odd person ) but most of the Vista 64bit seem to have the issues with both EMC9 , 9.1 and the patch to .... reason ...pass don't know why , but i assume that there just seems little support and software that seems to run on it at this stage...

even Microsoft's own new release of the Live suit (MSN 8.5, Live Mail , Live Search, ect ect) has no support for 64bit...?

so much for that is the road MS said they were going down.

Hello all, I would like to say I am reading this for pleasure. I have EMC 9 and the Dazzle that came with it. I got it to work on my XP machine with the audio patch. I am trying to install it on my Vista computer now with no luck. I have installed the Driver from Pinnacle, the DVC90 Driver for Vista and the 9.1 upgrade. I still get no audio when I try to capture from my tv or vcr. Could my computer have some sound device that is blocking the Audio from the dazzle?

Is there some order that these drivers and updates need to be installed in?

Has anyone ever contacted anyone from Roxio? Is "John from Roxio" a rep from Roxio?

Thanks for any input.

The patch works and fixed my problems. But to my dismay, Bacup MyPC was removed. This was mentioned in the patch docuementation. Apparently you have to pay $49.95 to get a 2006 version. Personally, I HAVE HAD IT and Roxio is not getting any more of my money.

If you installed the 9.1 patch, you should see a download available for BUMP, when you click on the desktop icon.

It is a standalone program that will work with Vista and XP.

Been all day trying to install EMC9, the DLA patch, then the 9.1 upgrade. Never made it thru to completion yet.

ONE conclusion is that the DLA patch won't work unless EMC9 was installed to the default location.

From a clean install of 9.0, the 9.1 patch is hanging on every sub-application of EMC9, saying I must uninstall before it can upgrade. I've clicked "yes" to allow each and every uninstall but they've all failed. I gave them all one retry and same results. Have clicked "no" to not install the problem app as that's the only way to get the installation progress bar to advance.

SW

SW

Might sound like a silly question, but did you reboot between installing EMC 9 and the 9.1 patch?

Also, shut down any Roxio processes running, via msconfig, before you try to install the patch.

If you installed the 9.1 patch, you should see a download available for BUMP, when you click on the desktop icon.

It is a standalone program that will work with Vista and XP.

grandpabruce, Where is this download link for BUMP located?

I just finished updating to 9.1 with no problems, and when I click on the Roxio Easy Media Creator 9 desktop icon, it opens Roxio Creator 9 Home and the only thing in the Welcome screen is an offer to update to Creator suite 10 and some other links to Roxio news articles.

Also the check for updates option does not find any updates or down loads for BUMP.

Archived