DVD resolution quality

jfgte8296

Question

I'm considering upgrading to v9 from v7 because when I capture files from my camcorder and view the native file it looks great. Meaning from tape or off of the hard drive the video is awesome. I'm getting an excellent capture from a good source. I capture in wide screen mode and I have one of the newer camcorders with high resolution.

However when I burn to DVD the resolution is crap to say the least. I mean really really bad with halos around white objects and blurry distant images.

What can v9 do to improve this quality? My v7 has an option (with an upgrade) called FIT TO DVD to improve the DVD resolution but I not sure that that will result in.

4 answers to this question

I believe if you go to Preferences or Options ( I do not have the software running where I am) you need to set the DVD Quality to High and 7 mps. You may have it set for 5 mps or less. I got the same results. (don't remember exactly how it was referred to, but selected the highest possible)

I suggest making a MASTER at the highest rate possible and the highest quality possible, even if you have to do it to DL. Once the MAster is made you can get a utility program that will COMPRESS from the original and put a 6gig mpeg on a 4.7 gig DVD at 35% compression with little or no noticeable difference (unless you are talking Hollywood Studio type quaility to start with) I use 1Click DVD. It works very very well and the com[pression is totally automatic.

I just made a MASTER of my daughter's Baby shower, using Roxio and saved on DL DVD. Once my master was made, I made copies to mail to family using 1Click DVD and when viewed, the color was perfect and the video was crisp and clean. I set the options in Roxio at the highest possible. I did this to ensure the BEST QUALITY MASTER Possible.

Did I make sense?????

Good Luck

:)

I'm considering upgrading to v9 from v7 because when I capture files from my camcorder and view the native file it looks great. Meaning from tape or off of the hard drive the video is awesome. I'm getting an excellent capture from a good source. I capture in wide screen mode and I have one of the newer camcorders with high resolution.

However when I burn to DVD the resolution is crap to say the least. I mean really really bad with halos around white objects and blurry distant images.

What can v9 do to improve this quality? My v7 has an option (with an upgrade) called FIT TO DVD to improve the DVD resolution but I not sure that that will result in.

The video DVD resolution is 720X480 (NTSC). That's it for 4:3 and 16:9. If you have a hidef camcorder, the only way to keep the full resolution is move up to Blueray or HD DVD burner/player.

To get teh best possible quality on a regular DVD, keep the video under one hour per 4.7GB disc.

I don't know if you have a Hi Definition camera, but if it is just widescreen on miniDV tape, when you go to burn it in MyDVD, use software rendering instead of hardware rendering.

It only takes a little longer to encode, but the results are a world of difference.

BTW, at the bottom of the MyDVD screen, in the Quality dropdown box, set it to High Quality (HQ)

Archived