Sign in to follow this  
Talon One

My DVD's Audio editing

Question

OK, so I have the non-upgraded version of My DVD and it doesn't allow me to edit audio files other than importing them and ordering them. I would like to be able to manipulate the length of the file as well as switch from the audio file to the video's own sound track. It's a home video with speeches that I want heard in between music background tracks. Will purchasing an upgrade (to presently version 9) allow me to do this?

I usually use Microsoft's free Moviemaker and its great for both simple video/audio editing, only it does not burn onto DVD's so I am trying MyDVD.

Any help would be appreciate!

7 answers to this question

OK, so I have the non-upgraded version of My DVD and it doesn't allow me to edit audio files other than importing them and ordering them. I would like to be able to manipulate the length of the file as well as switch from the audio file to the video's own sound track. It's a home video with speeches that I want heard in between music background tracks. Will purchasing an upgrade (to presently version 9) allow me to do this?

I usually use Microsoft's free Moviemaker and its great for both simple video/audio editing, only it does not burn onto DVD's so I am trying MyDVD.

Any help would be appreciate!

Let me see if I'm following you correctly, then I'll make some suggestions.

You have a video file that has people speaking at various times ("speeches"), that you want to add an audio only file to. You want the sound from the video to play while people are speaking, and the audio file to play when they are not. Is that basically it?

So, if I understand what your project entails, here goes.

I'm guessing that you currently have a Sonic branded version of MyDVD, which would be v6 or earlier. Those, along with the Roxio branded MyDVD only products (v8, v9) are basically a dvd Authoring program whose main function is to take media files and burn a dvd with menus, chapters, etc. They all will have some basic editing abilities, as you have discovered, but they all will have some limitations. MyDVD's function is not really for any more advanced type editing such as you described.

All that being said, the product you should be considering instead of just MyDVD, would be the Easy Media Creator Suite (aka EMC) products (of which the most current is v10). This is because they contain not only the MyDVD authoring program but also Videowave, which is a video editing program that will do what I understand you want to do with those files. Then once you've completed your editing, you use those Videowave projects in MyDVD to author and create the dvd disc.

Bottom line, to do what you want (IMHO), you should consider the following choices.

1. Try to use MovieMaker to edit your files and then export (output) them to new video file that you can then add to your current MyDVD program for making a dvd. (not a route I would choose or recommend)
  2. Download and try out the Trial version of EMC 9 using the Videowave/MyDVD idea mentioned earlier.
  3. Purchase the latest EMC v10 and just "go for it".
If you decide to try #2, then are going to purchase something, go with EMC v10. Videowave and Mydvd are basically the same in both v9 and v10, so there won't be any new learning curve there.

If you do decide you are going to purchase something, DO NOT get just a MyDVD 8 or 9. Get EMC v10

Let me see if I'm following you correctly, then I'll make some suggestions.

You have a video file that has people speaking at various times ("speeches"), that you want to add an audio only file to. You want the sound from the video to play while people are speaking, and the audio file to play when they are not. Is that basically it?

So, if I understand what your project entails, here goes.

I'm guessing that you currently have a Sonic branded version of MyDVD, which would be v6 or earlier. Those, along with the Roxio branded MyDVD only products (v8, v9) are basically a dvd Authoring program whose main function is to take media files and burn a dvd with menus, chapters, etc. They all will have some basic editing abilities, as you have discovered, but they all will have some limitations. MyDVD's function is not really for any more advanced type editing such as you described.

All that being said, the product you should be considering instead of just MyDVD, would be the Easy Media Creator Suite (aka EMC) products (of which the most current is v10). This is because they contain not only the MyDVD authoring program but also Videowave, which is a video editing program that will do what I understand you want to do with those files. Then once you've completed your editing, you use those Videowave projects in MyDVD to author and create the dvd disc.

Bottom line, to do what you want (IMHO), you should consider the following choices.

1. Try to use MovieMaker to edit your files and then export (output) them to new video file that you can then add to your current MyDVD program for making a dvd. (not a route I would choose or recommend)
  2. Download and try out the Trial version of EMC 9 using the Videowave/MyDVD idea mentioned earlier.
  3. Purchase the latest EMC v10 and just "go for it".
If you decide to try #2, then are going to purchase something, go with EMC v10. Videowave and Mydvd are basically the same in both v9 and v10, so there won't be any new learning curve there.

If you do decide you are going to purchase something, DO NOT get just a MyDVD 8 or 9. Get EMC v10

Thanks!!! I will try out option #2 as I DON'T want to re-edit the movie!!! I will post again if I have any other questions!

Actually, I do have one more question. If I try the trial version of that software you suggested, will I have to re-edit the video? Or will it import the file to the new software without a problem?

Thanks!!! I will try out option #2 as I DON'T want to re-edit the movie!!! I will post again if I have any other questions!

Actually, I do have one more question. If I try the trial version of that software you suggested, will I have to re-edit the video? Or will it import the file to the new software without a problem?

Not sure I understand the "re-edit" question. How have you "edited" it to this point?

Thusfar, I have compliled the video, cut the scenes, and moved them into an order I like. In other words, its no longer the original rough footage, but an "edited" video file. What I hope is that,with this software you mentioned, I can simply import the finished video file and simply add a soundtrack I will be able to similarly edit (i.e. adjust volume during different scenes as well as cut songs before they end, as I mentioned above). As the software seems to incorporate MyDVD as well (if I understood correctly), then I assume this should not be a problem, but I just thought to ask.

I guess what I'm afraid of (to put it a different way) is that I get the software, and the video file I've spent a few days working on is not able to be imported onto the new software in order to manipulate its audio. I don't want to have to import the raw footage and start over!

Hope this clarifies what I mean! Thanks for all your help by the way!

Thusfar, I have compliled the video, cut the scenes, and moved them into an order I like. In other words, its no longer the original rough footage, but an "edited" video file. What I hope is that,with this software you mentioned, I can simply import the finished video file and simply add a soundtrack I will be able to similarly edit (i.e. adjust volume during different scenes as well as cut songs before they end, as I mentioned above). As the software seems to incorporate MyDVD as well (if I understood correctly), then I assume this should not be a problem, but I just thought to ask.

I guess what I'm afraid of (to put it a different way) is that I get the software, and the video file I've spent a few days working on is not able to be imported onto the new software in order to manipulate its audio. I don't want to have to import the raw footage and start over!

Hope this clarifies what I mean! Thanks for all your help by the way!

And you did all that "editing" in the current MyDVD program you have?

If that's the case, you don't actually have a new edited video file, you have a MyDVD project file that has notations of the editing you want done using your source files when you output it.

EMC9 and 10 will import some earlier MyDVD version projects, but without knowing what version you have, I don;t know if it would in your case. I also don't know if it would retain all of teh editing notes you've made, or if the Trial version of 9 has that ability.

When I get home, I will look at my computer and check what version I have. Either way, I will get the trial version as it won't hurt to try it out and see if the project can be transferred properly. Thanks, for all -- I will write back if I have any trouble!