• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 5 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

EMC9 first impressions

johnc770

Question

I have used earlier versions of EMC and was very happy with it. I recently bought a Vista PC and spec'd a Lightscribe drive which came with Nero Essentials on it. This was totally useless, disjointed and caused persistent crashes so I took it off in disgust and went back to Roxio which I thought I could trust. As I have many VHS tapes to digitize, I went for the Deluxe version with the DVC90

First off, I was dismayed to find EMC 10 appeared when registering 9, without any preannouncement. I could have waited.

First off, the installation slowed my system down and I have Intel 925 3ghz with 2gb RAM.

I've burned several DVD's with no problem, but the label creator is awkward and goes through 3 different applications to produce the result. Not much better than Nero in that respect. It does not appear to respect the templates applied, even after calibrating the printer (HP6110).

The calibration routine often returns an error message.

Since last week, I have not been able to "Add Image" to labels, this and several other buttons in the Edit screen have been grayed out. It worked at first, and I wonder if this is an MS Vista update issue.

Use Background Image works OK but prints faint, which, on Lightscribe discs which are already low on contrast, is hardly readable, despite having the latest Lightscribe driver set at max contrast.

I have not even got to try the Record Now or Video capture yet, as the Dazzle 90 doesnt install.

I was waiting for the 9.1 update which I performed today at great length. It seems to be a complete reload but has not fixed any of the above issues. I can't see anything different so far, not even the ReadMe file is updated (Feb 2007 referring to trial Vista testing).

I guess I will have to load the Vista drivers for the Dazzle from elsewhere which I feel I should not have to do having applied the update.

Very disappointing so far, and the horror stories I've found here dont give me much encouragement to continue using this. I would ask for a refund but did not buy from this site.

1 answer to this question

Archived