Problems verifying backups by BackupMyPC6.0

Rini de Bie

Question

Backing up my data is oke, but verifying process gives me an error msg telling me that my R/W DVD drive receives a command it doesn't recognize. It tells me that the data might not be corrupted and suggests to verify my DVD connections. Nothing wrong with these connections as far as I know, because my DVD writing software does burn CD's and DVS's without any problem. Also the data function of Backup MyPC6.0 gives me no problems. I'm able to read and restore that data by Windows Explorer without any problem. It's just the verifying option of BackupMyPC giving this error.

Roxio support was suggesting to reinstall Backup MyPC. But that didn't work. I was able to make a Disaster Recovery disk (by far the most important part to me) with the same DVD's (so the DVD's are oke), but got the same error when backing up data. Does anyone have such an experience earlier and most important does anyone know how to solve it? Thanks in advance (as we say in Dutch)!

P.S. If you need more specific info on error-msg, DVD type or whatever please let me know and I will sent it to you. Please keep it simple or give me some instructions on how to do certain actions as I'm not an experienced PC user (regard this as an understatement!!).

5 answers to this question

If I am reading you right, you do get an error concerning your DVD drive, but only on the verify. Not sure about an error with the device, but have heard of errors due to file changes between backup and verify.

If possible post back with the exact wording of the error. Also some more info on your like operating system, DVD brand and model and brand and type (DVD+R, DVD-RW, etc) of media.

Also does it name any specific files that are the problem?

Does it error out right at the start or midway through the verification?

It is obviously having no problem reading or writing the DVD as you are able to backup and restore without problems.

I would be very surprised if the data is corrupt, unless something happens on the write to the DVD.

Hi, thanks for answering.

Here are a few details you asked:

- Error-msg = "An error occurred while reading the media. The media cannot be read or contains an unknown media format. If the media format contains valid data , please verify the device connections or try changing the device connections. The device received an invalid command (07-20-23-00-6400)."

- I'm using Windows XP Home Edition - SP2.

- My DVD's are DVD+RW of 4.7 GB.

- My PC is a Packard Bell Imedia with an Intel Pentium 4 3.0 GHZ with 512 MB RAM.

- My DVD burner is an HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GWA-4166B. During purchase some 3,5 years ago another DVD burner was present, but it has been replaced by Packard Bell due to hardware failure by the one mentioned.

- No specific error out at start, midway or end of the verification. All three possibilities have occurred, but the error-msg is always the same, so no file names are mentioned.

Hopes this gives you some clue as how to find the solution.

Hi, thanks for answering.

Here are a few details you asked:

- Error-msg = "An error occurred while reading the media. The media cannot be read or contains an unknown media format. If the media format contains valid data , please verify the device connections or try changing the device connections. The device received an invalid command (07-20-23-00-6400)."

- I'm using Windows XP Home Edition - SP2.

- My DVD's are DVD+RW of 4.7 GB.

- My PC is a Packard Bell Imedia with an Intel Pentium 4 3.0 GHZ with 512 MB RAM.

- My DVD burner is an HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GWA-4166B. During purchase some 3,5 years ago another DVD burner was present, but it has been replaced by Packard Bell due to hardware failure by the one mentioned.

- No specific error out at start, midway or end of the verification. All three possibilities have occurred, but the error-msg is always the same, so no file names are mentioned.

Hopes this gives you some clue as how to find the solution.

Right off the top of my head, the first thing I would suggest is try doing the same backup using DVD+ or - Rs. I never trust RWs for storing my data.

I did a search at the LG site (that's who makes the DVD drive), but could not find any info or firmaware updates there. I did find them under HP and possibly other sellers. You might try the site of the branded company for firmware updates.

At this point, these are just guesses. I would try though to do these to +-R disks, not RWs.

Right off the top of my head, the first thing I would suggest is try doing the same backup using DVD+ or - Rs. I never trust RWs for storing my data.

I did a search at the LG site (that's who makes the DVD drive), but could not find any info or firmaware updates there. I did find them under HP and possibly other sellers. You might try the site of the branded company for firmware updates.

At this point, these are just guesses. I would try though to do these to +-R disks, not RWs.

Hi, thanks for your advice. I don't have any DVD+-R available yet, but I will buy some and let you know what the outcome is. I guess they're possibly even cheaper than DVD+-RW's. Thanks again.

If I am reading you right, you do get an error concerning your DVD drive, but only on the verify. Not sure about an error with the device, but have heard of errors due to file changes between backup and verify.

If possible post back with the exact wording of the error. Also some more info on your like operating system, DVD brand and model and brand and type (DVD+R, DVD-RW, etc) of media.

Also does it name any specific files that are the problem?

Does it error out right at the start or midway through the verification?

It is obviously having no problem reading or writing the DVD as you are able to backup and restore without problems.

I would be very surprised if the data is corrupt, unless something happens on the write to the DVD.

Archived