• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 7 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

9.1 update

dan r

Question

Does the 9.1 update deal with any usability issues that have been mentioned in the forums. (eg. The inability to change the thumbnail image in the first chapter of a production.) I'm sure there are a number of things that needed tweaking.Another one I've never resolved was the inability to hear what I was recording when using a USB device with my laptop to capture my LP's.

17 answers to this question

like most of us that have been using windows forever - we clean out windows temp weekly - sometimes windows or windows utils will clean this for us so no roxio updates are left on my computer. If they are critical why arent they stored like windows updates. Roxio did not seem to thoughtly test this upgrade and basically makes my computer barely usable and makes me want to never use this program again. This is the kind of crap expected from companies like AOL and Symantec. Now Roxio can be added to the list of companies that take over your computer and screw it up totally.

Is there anyway not to use the new update and use the program and get rid of the autoupdate crapola. currently after reboot I have to go into taskman and remove the roxio items in memory. The looping auto update takes up about 60% of my processor and makes my laptop not that usable until I kill the processes. I dont need the new stuff I just want to use the program as it was. Also I dont want to loose the backup functionality which other posts indicate goes away with the new release. I dont own the piece of crap vista and probably wont for at least another year until MS gets more bugs out of it. I dont need the updates. If I have to use the new release I think this is really bogus to force the update and loose the backup functionality.

I bought the program in a box so I have the cdrom - it sounds like I have to dig it up to get this autoupdate thing cleared up. I'm just afraid if I try to update this the update will not install properly based on other posts on this site. The program is unusable as it is so guess I will have to waste my time trying to get the install to work.

I don't quite understand what you're on about.

For a start, the 9.1 update was not a temp file - it was a complete replacement for 9.0 (but 9.0 had to have been installed for it to work)

It had to be manually downloaded and run from the download location. If you were crazy enough to store downloads in the temp folder, then of course you lose it, but most people save it elsewhere

As for testinmg - if you'd watched the boards, you would have seen that it was tested by a group of users - in fact, tested so thoroughly that it got delayed again due to the one being tested proving to be faulty

my 9.0 started trying updating automatically and now its stuck in a loop looking for Roxio Easy Media Creator 9 Suite.msi. what a piece of junk. looks like I will have to uninstall the entire thing to get my computer back. have noticed others cant get it reinstalled after uninstall. so what do I do?

Besides the orig install disc as posted, if you downloaded EMC9 originally, when you install the set-up program expands and copies the separate install files to your windows temp folder. If you copy those files to another folder while set-up is paused for your input, then save them to disk (blank DVD) you'll have future access. Know it's not ideal, but it works and has been worth it to me.

As far as the prob. running the update more than once, you might want to see my post here: http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=27796

There's a reg key that you can save before applying the update. If the update fails, set-up will only proceed if that key is restored -- merged back into your registry, usually by double clicking the .reg file you exported. Trying various things in Vista I ran the update set-up 4 or 5 times, merging that key before each attempt. It also works in XP, but since my XP update worked without a hitch, there's nothing I can add about what files need to be installed or copied to hdd. In Vista didn't matter how much if anything was in the Roxio folder for example, but the update in Vista also replaced a lot of files -- don't know if it would work or not, if missing or damaged files would be replaced in XP.

Is there anyway not to use the new update and use the program and get rid of the autoupdate crapola. currently after reboot I have to go into taskman and remove the roxio items in memory. The looping auto update takes up about 60% of my processor and makes my laptop not that usable until I kill the processes. I dont need the new stuff I just want to use the program as it was. Also I dont want to loose the backup functionality which other posts indicate goes away with the new release. I dont own the piece of crap vista and probably wont for at least another year until MS gets more bugs out of it. I dont need the updates. If I have to use the new release I think this is really bogus to force the update and loose the backup functionality.

I bought the program in a box so I have the cdrom - it sounds like I have to dig it up to get this autoupdate thing cleared up. I'm just afraid if I try to update this the update will not install properly based on other posts on this site. The program is unusable as it is so guess I will have to waste my time trying to get the install to work.

Besides the orig install disc as posted, if you downloaded EMC9 originally, when you install the set-up program expands and copies the separate install files to your windows temp folder. If you copy those files to another folder while set-up is paused for your input, then save them to disk (blank DVD) you'll have future access. Know it's not ideal, but it works and has been worth it to me.

As far as the prob. running the update more than once, you might want to see my post here: http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=27796

There's a reg key that you can save before applying the update. If the update fails, set-up will only proceed if that key is restored -- merged back into your registry, usually by double clicking the .reg file you exported. Trying various things in Vista I ran the update set-up 4 or 5 times, merging that key before each attempt. It also works in XP, but since my XP update worked without a hitch, there's nothing I can add about what files need to be installed or copied to hdd. In Vista didn't matter how much if anything was in the Roxio folder for example, but the update in Vista also replaced a lot of files -- don't know if it would work or not, if missing or damaged files would be replaced in XP.

You must be talking about the RoxWatchTray9, not the 9.1 updater. You can disable that startup process by running msconfig. Go to startup tab and uncheck that process. Maybe do the same for DrgtoDsc if you will not be using DragtoDisc.

Unchecking a application process in msconfig doesn't mean you can't start it and use it (start, all prorgams). Just that it won't be a startup process when the pc boots using resources.

cd

Does the 9.1 update deal with any usability issues that have been mentioned in the forums. (eg. The inability to change the thumbnail image in the first chapter of a production.) I'm sure there are a number of things that needed tweaking.Another one I've never resolved was the inability to hear what I was recording when using a USB device with my laptop to capture my LP's.

Well Dan, IMHO anyway there's no reason not to backup your laptop and give it a try.

The official statement posted here states that the patch only makes EMC 9.0 Vista compatible.

Maybe I could tell you if the 9.1 patch would install in the first place!

I've been trying all afternoon and still not finished....EVERY app is failing to reinstall....

2 hrs after the above entries, update completed and still no good. EMC 9 icons no longer appear on the desktop but nothing on my system to indicate the 9.1 version was installed. No desktop icons, but it still appears Start menu. When I click it, however, I get "The certicate file is missing or has been corrupted. Please re-install it."

Seeing as three separate attempts at clean install-uninstall-reinstall have occupied most of my Sunday already I'm not inclined to do it again.

Unless something is posted soon THAT WORKS, going to cut my losses and go with another application...and NOT Roxio 10! Pity because 9.0 worked pretty well under XP.

SW

I FINALLY got 9.0 and the DLA/Drag to Disc patch to load and run on my Vista HP machine today...only took about four clean install attempts before it took.

Hesitant about installing the 9.1 update now, however, as last time I tried it today my Vista machine BSOD'd during the installation.

What do I REALLY get from the 9.1 update?

SW

In case it will help anyone...

Once I got EMC9 Dlx updated in Vista I wanted to post the info, particularly RE: the reg key that's checked to determine if the update set-up will run again. Later I installed the update in XP Pro SP2, after copying the main program folders to another hdd for comparison. On this machine at least, near 30 files were changed for Drag to Disc, and new DLA files were installed. Sight Speed and Bias Sound Soap also had updates -- the Bias docs said it's only for Vista compatibility. It doesn't appear anything else was touched.

RE: the error message about corrupted/missing certificate files... I encountered something similar after restoring a backup of Vista quite a while back. Going solely by memory I *think* the solution was to delete all the Roxio files on the hdd. If I recall correctly I had to really hunt to find them all. My take on it was that the copy protection-anti-piracy code (I *think* it was by macrovision) created a couple of files after registration & activation. Once they no longer matched the drive's serial number because of the restore operation, they kicked up the error code until they were deleted.

I know that's probably far from the problem sornord's experiencing, but maybe it'll point to a possible solution?

my 9.0 started trying updating automatically and now its stuck in a loop looking for Roxio Easy Media Creator 9 Suite.msi. what a piece of junk. looks like I will have to uninstall the entire thing to get my computer back. have noticed others cant get it reinstalled after uninstall. so what do I do?

Archived