• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

9.1 giving more problems than 9.0

GHMikeB

Question

My main complaint with EMC 9 was that the sound was often slightly out of sync when I burned a video recorded with Media Centre to DVD (after file conversion and editing out adverts). Now that I have installed the 9.1 patch it starts off OK but by the time you are about an hour into the recording it has gone out of sync by about 5 seconds. So much so that the person speaking has gone from view and someone else is talking with the previous persons voice still going.

Is there a reason for this or a cure, or do I have to go back to 9.0 and put up with the rather indifferent synchronisation that gave, which was rubbish but better than the unusable 9.1 result?

5 answers to this question

Back around May when I 1st got and tested out emc9 Dlx I think I posted this, but I'll try to sum it up now from memory, as I'm DL the patch...

The following applies if you edit mpg2 without (re) rendering or encoding your video. Dvr-ms is mpg2.

Videowave/MyDVD tries to do something I've seen called "smart render" for imported mpg2... If you cut out a section of the video, and if the mpg2 settings match your video, the software will try to cut the video, then join the video on either side of the cut. I've not seen this advertised, so don't know if this is a supported feature or not -- my take was that it was unsupported so I couldn't complain. At any rate, in order to cut/join mpg2 any cuts & joins have to take place at I frames. EMC9 does not detect or allow you to select I frames, so you'll have problems. Checking frame by frame you'll see several repeated frames at the join, and you'll also see the field order for those frames to always be lower first -- a potential problem if your video is captured top field first. Audio will also go out of sync, probably due to the different clocks and structures used by audio & video... I'm not aware of any programs that do a great job with the audio at mpg2 cuts/joins. To match audio it can be de-muxed, converted to wav, edited, then encoded to ac3, which I've done many times. There might be additional problems with mpeg audio if not converted to wav -- higher end programs than MyDVD have problems with mpeg audio. In general the more correct method of editing mpg2 is to make sure that the results are re-encoded, but I haven't tried this in VIdeowave to say if there are any problems or not -- I don't imagine any video editing software would have ANY users if it wasn't capable of maintaining sync.

Another, even quicker & easier method of editing out commercials might be to edit the DVD created with MyDVD... MyDVD creates a large number of cells for each video. You can either use those or add chapters when commercials start & stop. With the DVD on your hard drive, use Pgcedit to remove those cells with commercials. That's the same way DVD VR works in a DVD recorder, and the player will just jump over those removed cells.

My main complaint with EMC 9 was that the sound was often slightly out of sync when I burned a video recorded with Media Centre to DVD (after file conversion and editing out adverts). Now that I have installed the 9.1 patch it starts off OK but by the time you are about an hour into the recording it has gone out of sync by about 5 seconds. So much so that the person speaking has gone from view and someone else is talking with the previous persons voice still going.

Is there a reason for this or a cure, or do I have to go back to 9.0 and put up with the rather indifferent synchronisation that gave, which was rubbish but better than the unusable 9.1 result?

I don't work with Media Center files often but have read posts that state splitting the file in Videowave into smaller size groups does seem to help.

I'm not sure that the patch did anything at all to the problem of audio sync.

The sync issue is well known and has been well documented. I can suggest that you contact a user "sisterscape". She has gone above & beyond in the research & documentation of the problem.

I downloaded the update / patch for 9.0 to 9.1 but have not installed it yet. I am a bit disappointed that the sync issue hasn't been corrected as it is documented and repeatable. Maybe it has been addressed in V10.

I was going to link her post to this reply but is was in the EMC 7.0 - 7.5 forum. It appears that forum is gone to make room for the EMC 10 board.

Maybe sisterscape will read this and post her solution again.

Archived