• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 18 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Poor quality when DVD played on projector

joelwnelson

Question

I created a movie in Final Cut Express consisting of a sequence of TIF images with text. When I played back the DVD on a HDTV, it looked crisp and sharp (even though the video is intentionally 4:3). When I played it back on an overhead projector, there were compression artifacts and color bleeding around all of the letters.

Any thoughts on what I can to do resolve this? Should I use a higher average bitrate (I had it set to 6.5 MB) -- it's a 5 minute video -- or use a different field dominance?

Any help would be appreciated.

2 answers to this question

I created a movie in Final Cut Express consisting of a sequence of TIF images with text. When I played back the DVD on a HDTV, it looked crisp and sharp (even though the video is intentionally 4:3). When I played it back on an overhead projector, there were compression artifacts and color bleeding around all of the letters.

Any thoughts on what I can to do resolve this? Should I use a higher average bitrate (I had it set to 6.5 MB) -- it's a 5 minute video -- or use a different field dominance?

Any help would be appreciated.

If the overhead projector allows for a computer VGA or DVI connection then that will be much better than trying to use a video DVD to play your slide show. But if you're stuck with DVD you might try using iDVD instead of Toast just to see if its MPEG encoder can handle this kind of project better than Toast's. Your average bitrate can be higher but I don't expect you'll see much difference.

I use Fotomagico to make movie slide shows and this same issue is one they've struggled with. They have an article addressing the issue on their site Here. Some of what they say may help you even though you're not using their application.

If you don't need pan and zoom motion with your slides - or don't need slides to advance with specific points in an audio track - you'll be better off making a DVD slide show than making a movie slide show. You can do this directly in Toast by simply adding a folder of still images to the Video window. iDVD has more comprehensive features with its DVD slide shows. The picture quality is superior with DVD slide shows. Each image is displayed as a still for a given number of seconds before automatically advancing. You also can advance and replay slides by using the DVD player's chapter skip key. Of course you would need to add your text to the slides in a photo editing application in order to have slides appear with text.

If the overhead projector allows for a computer VGA or DVI connection then that will be much better than trying to use a video DVD to play your slide show. But if you're stuck with DVD you might try using iDVD instead of Toast just to see if its MPEG encoder can handle this kind of project better than Toast's. Your average bitrate can be higher but I don't expect you'll see much difference.

I use Fotomagico to make movie slide shows and this same issue is one they've struggled with. They have an article addressing the issue on their site Here. Some of what they say may help you even though you're not using their application.

If you don't need pan and zoom motion with your slides - or don't need slides to advance with specific points in an audio track - you'll be better off making a DVD slide show than making a movie slide show. You can do this directly in Toast by simply adding a folder of still images to the Video window. iDVD has more comprehensive features with its DVD slide shows. The picture quality is superior with DVD slide shows. Each image is displayed as a still for a given number of seconds before automatically advancing. You also can advance and replay slides by using the DVD player's chapter skip key. Of course you would need to add your text to the slides in a photo editing application in order to have slides appear with text.

Unfortunately, DVD is required. I'm planning on burning 4 DVDs -- Toast Progressive, Toast Top Fields First, Toast Bottom Fields First, and iDVD Pro Encoding -- and will test to see which works best...

Archived