Help! cannot get rid of roxio

pking1977

Question

Well, I am back home and I have tried everything to removed this program from my computer. I tried add remove program and it does not work. I tried windows install cleanup, does not work. I have tried safe mode to remove it..d oes not work.. I have tried deleting the reg keys, and deleting the files..

This is the worst freakin program ever.. wtg with the patch

how do i remove this thing without formating my hard drive

PKing

15 answers to this question

It is looking more and more like i will need to reformat.. I cant do anything with it.. I have even tried to reinstall roxio 9.0 just so I could uninstall it.. nothing is working. I thought this was a patch.......

After about 8 months and a new roxio version, you would of thought they might have an idea about how to fix this thing.

and no its not my computer.. Every other program I have runs fine...

so its your software

PKing

I had the same problem . I can't recommend the 9.1 update. But I did follow the instructions for a clean install and it worked . . except I had to contact support for how to get rid of the invalid serial number error. It works fine for me now as 9.0 plus dla patch.

It is looking more and more like i will need to reformat.. I cant do anything with it.. I have even tried to reinstall roxio 9.0 just so I could uninstall it.. nothing is working. I thought this was a patch.......

After about 8 months and a new roxio version, you would of thought they might have an idea about how to fix this thing.

so its your software

PKing

No it is your computer, sad to say…

If it were the software don't you think that millions of users would all have the same problem?

Reformatting is easy, but reinstalling all our junk is always a pain! I suggest this, shop around and get yourself a new HD of equal or larger size than what you have now.

Put in the new HD format and install EMC9. Then install just what you really use ~ this is an opportunity to clean house…

After all is up and running, install your Old HD as a secondary and copy your various info back to your new HD.

After a month or 2, either format the old HD and keep it as a spare or format and use it for data storage.

It is a way of making the best of a bad situation.

No it is your computer, sad to say…

If it were the software don't you think that millions of users would all have the same problem?

Reformatting is easy, but reinstalling all our junk is always a pain! I suggest this, shop around and get yourself a new HD of equal or larger size than what you have now.

Put in the new HD format and install EMC9. Then install just what you really use ~ this is an opportunity to clean house…

After all is up and running, install your Old HD as a secondary and copy your various info back to your new HD.

After a month or 2, either format the old HD and keep it as a spare or format and use it for data storage.

It is a way of making the best of a bad situation.

It is the software "sad to say." As I have stated the computer that it has failed on is Vista 64. If you looked at any of the other threads, you would notice that many other people have had the upgrade for them running 64 bit vista. "Millions of users" do not have the same problem because there are many people that run diffrent versions of Windows. I said a couple times that my laptop that runs 32 bit vista has had the patch install correctly, albeit was the second time around. The 64 bit version it failed 3 times in a row. I reformated windows. BTW as a side. it sucks to try to clean install if you buy the upgrade version of microshaft. On the phone with tech support. My daughter sat on my copy of xp pro and broke the cd so I cannot use that to install first.

Anyway, I know you want to help, but I do not see how buying another hard drive is going to help at all. This is a software issue from a copy that does not seem to care. I have posted the exact error code that completely messed up my system. If there was a hardware problem, I would be having problems with other software. That is not the case, all of my other software works fine. I think the 200gig hd I have is more than enough to hold a version of roxio...

PKing

It is the software "sad to say." As I have stated the computer that it has failed on is Vista 64. If you looked at any of the other threads, you would notice that many other people have had the upgrade for them running 64 bit vista. "Millions of users" do not have the same problem because there are many people that run diffrent versions of Windows. I said a couple times that my laptop that runs 32 bit vista has had the patch install correctly, albeit was the second time around. The 64 bit version it failed 3 times in a row. I reformated windows. BTW as a side. it sucks to try to clean install if you buy the upgrade version of microshaft. On the phone with tech support. My daughter sat on my copy of xp pro and broke the cd so I cannot use that to install first.

Anyway, I know you want to help, but I do not see how buying another hard drive is going to help at all. This is a software issue from a copy that does not seem to care. I have posted the exact error code that completely messed up my system. If there was a hardware problem, I would be having problems with other software. That is not the case, all of my other software works fine. I think the 200gig hd I have is more than enough to hold a version of roxio...

PKing

There is a very good way to install an upgrade version of Vista, either 32 bit or 64 bit, and do a "really clean install" without installing a previous version first. A majority of Vista problems result from installing over an existing Windows operating system.

Start with a reformatted HDD, or at least with a HDD that has no operating system installed.

Insert the Vista DVD and let the install begin. You will reach a screen that asks if you want to do a custom install, or some phrase similar to that. Say yes.

It will then request that you enter the product code, but it gives an option to install without entering the product code. Chose not to enter the product code. The install will complete. Reboot with the DVD in the drive.

As it boots up chose to boot from the DVD drive. Install Vista again. This time chose "upgrade" and enter the product code. The install will complete and the computer now has a "clean install of Vista".

This is undocumented by Microsoft, but a tech support gave me the procedure after I had devoted about 16 hours with several tech support people in trying to get a good install of Vista.

I hope when Microsoft issues SP1 they return to the install procedure they previously used where you can insert a CD of a previous version during the install to prove that this install is an upgrade, without having to actually install the previous version.

BTW, those of us using Vista 64 bit cannot use the EMC9.1 update. I tried, and so have many other posts in this forum. I have not seen a single success reported!

BTW, those of us using Vista 64 bit cannot use the EMC9.1 update. I tried, and so have many other posts in this forum. I have not seen a single success reported!

It's very unlikely that you ever will - people don't come here to say they have it working (just if they don't)

Yes, that is very good advice for Vista.. I spent the day on the phone with Microsoft and that is exactly how the guy talked he through doing it. I am not going to even bother trying to reinstall roxio on my main computer. Roxio should be ashamed of putting out a product that is this bad.

To define bad.. If you cannot install a program, then the program is by default no good.

My only saving grace is that I just bought a laptopthat this program installed on. Otherwise, I would still be stuck with software that has been unuseable since I bought it in Feb. Now, I have not tested any programs on the laptop yet, I just know it installed.

PKing

Actually, if a program installs in 99 computers and fails on number 100, that doesn't make the program faulty

It just means computer 100 has another problem

btw - do you seriously expect MS tech support to admit that their darling new shiny OS may just be buggy? To be honest, I see no need at present for running a 64 bit OS in the normal environment - look just how many programs install in C:\Program Files compared to the number in the x86 Program Files.

Before you ask - I do run a 64 bit OS here (not Vista 64 - but 32 Ultimate) but XP 64 and also Gentoo compiled for 64 bit (and at least it's apps ARE 64 bit optimised)

EMC installed fine and ran fine on all three MS OSs

Yes, that is very good advice for Vista.. I spent the day on the phone with Microsoft and that is exactly how the guy talked he through doing it. I am not going to even bother trying to reinstall roxio on my main computer. Roxio should be ashamed of putting out a product that is this bad.

To define bad.. If you cannot install a program, then the program is by default no good.

My only saving grace is that I just bought a laptopthat this program installed on. Otherwise, I would still be stuck with software that has been unuseable since I bought it in Feb. Now, I have not tested any programs on the laptop yet, I just know it installed.

PKing

Since you were able to install this program on your laptop then (according to your logic :blink: ) this program is good and Roxio should be proud of it!

Since you were able to install this program on your laptop then (according to your logic :blink: ) this program is good and Roxio should be proud of it!

There is a problem when people pick and choose what they want to use for thier argument. Yes, according to my arguement the program (if it works... I repetely said I have not tested it yet) is great on my 32 bit laptop.

However, the program does not work on my 64 bit vista DISPITE Roxio's claim that this progarm is vista certified. They dont claim vista 32 bit only cert. It does not matter if people believe there is no reason for people to install the 64 bit version of windows. IT is simply not there concern. I bought program that stated it was able to be run on that system, and I expect that to be true.

Maybe in feb you could argue that vista changed something in a patch that messed up roxio.. However, this is a half a year after. There is just no excuse

PKing

OK - try these articles

http://www.dansdata.com/askdan00001.htm

"No automatic registry and file redirection, which is what 32-bit Vista uses to allow existing software to work with Vista's better user account security, even if the software wants to do admin-rights stuff to the registry and Program Files directory. Many apps still break in 32-bit Vista, but many more break in the 64-bit version....There are software incompatibility problems for Vista, too, but apart from the 16-bit-apps thing they're not specific to 64-bit Vista. They're largely restricted to software that wants to do relatively low-level stuff, like CD/DVD burning programs and programs that tweak system settings."

http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.3bc2c8ad

"When you install Adobe Acrobat, one of the following issues occurs:

-- The Acrobat installer returns the error message, "Warning 20225: Adobe Acrobat 8 Setup was unable to create a new item: Adobe PDF Converter. The Adobe PDF Printer may be unavailable. GetLastError: The specified module could not be found." When you click OK, the installer returns the error again and completes the installation, but the Adobe PDF printer doesn't appear in Printers And Faxes in the Windows Control Panel.

-- The Adobe PDF printer doesn't appear in Printers And Faxes in the Windows Control Panel. "

http://coderjournal.com/2007/03/apple-want...install-itunes/

"iTunes could not be installed because Visual Basic Script (VBScript) is not installed or has been disabled. Make sure VBScript is installed, turn off script blocking in anti-virus and personal firewall software, re-register VBScript, and then install iTunes."

Those are just three hits on common apps struggling on Vista 64 from Google - there are a LOT more out there

Vista is proving so successful that Vienna (MS code for the Longhorn replacement) will be out in 2009 (less than 2 years away)

I've used 4 registry cleaners, roxizap, going through the registry by hand and something from Roxio is still on my machine to now make my cd key invalid without using the cd key patch. I have noticed that Installdriver by macrovision (listed under services in msconfig) was still there after removing EMC 9.0. If you're looking for peace of mind, it's always better to get a fesh start. I personally plan to format my hard drive and shred my EMC 9.0 CD if this second download of the EMC 9.1 corrupts my computer as the first did.

so its your software

PKing

Archived