• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 27 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

ATE

DVD player sound

Question

I thought that the burned DVD was defective because the sound, when played on a DVD connected to a TV, was distorted and very low in volume. By accident I discovered that it depends on how it is connected to the TV set. If you use the RF modulator on the the DVD player, the result is what I had. If you connect them throught he video and audio cables there is no problem. I could not understand this because CDs do not have this problem. It must be that the sound coding or decoding are different in the two systems. Why is this?

2 answers to this question

No software will have any effect of the FM intercarrier sound modulation from an RF up-coverter.

Check that you don't have the TV set to A/V when you play back using the RF patch cable. The reason is that when you go to A/V you basically bypass the TV tuner and this can cause problems in both audio and video

To be honest it seems a shade strange that you actually have an RF output from the DVD player (I haven't seen one here - that all use SCART A/V connections with nary an RF module in sight)

It might give you a partial explanation if you were to check your DVD player set-up menus/options -- AC3 on a DVD is very different from audio CDs, & there are often settings for compression etc. depending on the player. As gi7omy, find the use of an rf modulator *very* unusual, but happens I suppose... Judging from the quality of rf modulators I've seen in most stores (on the rare occasions I've seen them) you *might* have better luck passing the signal thru a VCR if you have one, assuming you had a reason not to use separate cabling to begin with.