• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 17 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

regarding maunals and tutorials...

PeterSanders

Question

Hi

I am assuming that, seeing you have the Number 1 media creator software that you used it to create your OWN video promos here...

http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/creator/...e/inspired.html

yes?

If so, then how about showing us ALL how to do some of the *tricks* in these videos. Perhaps we could guess at how some things are done, but some guidance would help.

eg the zoom and pan of two still images at different speeds within the video, the "slide" on of smaller images at a fast and slow rate, the movement of "still" images on the video along a path to a new position and then off the sceen, etc, etc.

Kind regards

Peter

15 answers to this question

Hi John

Peter, I would just have to say that watching this discussion from the sidelines, it did appear from the tone of your original post that you were taunting roxio and our software, if that was not your intention then I want to personally apologize for the posts stating otherwise, but you have to admit, it does have that ring to it.

Please don't quit using the forums over one small tiff. If everyone on the planet always got along, it would be an amazing thing.

Thanks for your concern, and thank you for your apology I appreciate that, but I don't see HOW such "tones" were implied! I don't see how my original post had that "ring" to it.

Watching what "discussion" from the sidelines? There was no discussion! I asked a legitimate question and was hoping for some advice or tutorial on how to preduce a video like the great EMC10 demo.

All I can see is someone got their knickers in a knot and ASSUMED this "taunting tone" was implied and that set the theme of the thread.

This was NOT and NEVER WAS my intention.

I was disgusted by the fact that GPB can just jump to such conclusions WITHOUT even ascertaining more information by at least ASKING for more info from me or offering some advice.

In fact the statement...

I am assuming that, seeing you have the Number 1 media creator software that you used it to create your OWN video promos here...

Was complementary in two ways, one I complimented Roxio on the fact that they had the best video editing software - I even printed it in BOLD TYPE - and two that the promo for EMC10 was that "impressive" that I wouild like to know how to do that kind of video myself.

It is important that you (Roxio) realise that I have been complmentary on the software even though I have had several problems and as previously stated found the forum to be less helpful than I would have expected.

I have not been a participant in the forum for some time as I have not been able to get a satisfactory result from EMC9 with my current hardware. It works but is too slow and inefficient for practical purposes. I ceased trying until now after "forking out" $1400 for some new hardware to try again. So you can imagine my dismay at the response to my first post in some time.

To be honest, the first thing I did today was to take my friends advice (given last Wednesday) and downloaded the trial version of ULead's Video Studio 11.

I have had a quick look and it looks ok. ULead is now under the Corel "banner" and as the owner and user of CorelDraw X3 and PaintShopPro X I find these programs VERY good at what they do. The Corel forums have their occasional "bitchyness" but overall those Corel forums are much more helpful at the outset, especailly for "newbies" or those that want info or tutorials.

So, I apologise for "rolling this all up into one thread", but Roxio's pricing is also in a quandary! I can buy ULead's Video Studio 11 for $69.95 or EMC10 in North America for the same price providing I pay $99.95 and get a cash back reimbursement.

This does not help me too much over here in Australia where the UPGRADE price is US$107.65 and the RETAIL PRICE is US$141.00 This is NOT good.

I know which way I want to go and that is to BUY THE EMC10 UPGRADE (at the right price), because even with all the "faults" I do like EMC, that's why I swapped over from Nero.

If you have not seen the thread...

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=27662

and my post #5, can you or somebody look into the matter and see what can be done with Roxio's pricing schedule.

Thank you for reading.

Kind regards

Peter

Just to clarify one point:

You seem to assume you are speaking to Roxio.

The only Roxio employee in this thread was John at Roxio. Visits by Roxio staff to these Forums are infrequent, and you can recognize them by the Roxio logo.

Most of those who answer are people who have bought and used Roxio products.

Lynn

Hi John

Thanks for your concern, and thank you for your apology I appreciate that, but I don't see HOW such "tones" were implied! I don't see how my original post had that "ring" to it.

Watching what "discussion" from the sidelines? There was no discussion! I asked a legitimate question and was hoping for some advice or tutorial on how to preduce a video like the great EMC10 demo.

All I can see is someone got their knickers in a knot and ASSUMED this "taunting tone" was implied and that set the theme of the thread.

This was NOT and NEVER WAS my intention.

I was disgusted by the fact that GPB can just jump to such conclusions WITHOUT even ascertaining more information by at least ASKING for more info from me or offering some advice.

In fact the statement...

Was complementary in two ways, one I complimented Roxio on the fact that they had the best video editing software - I even printed it in BOLD TYPE - and two that the promo for EMC10 was that "impressive" that I wouild like to know how to do that kind of video myself.

It is important that you (Roxio) realise that I have been complmentary on the software even though I have had several problems and as previously stated found the forum to be less helpful than I would have expected.

I have not been a participant in the forum for some time as I have not been able to get a satisfactory result from EMC9 with my current hardware. It works but is too slow and inefficient for practical purposes. I ceased trying until now after "forking out" $1400 for some new hardware to try again. So you can imagine my dismay at the response to my first post in some time.

To be honest, the first thing I did today was to take my friends advice (given last Wednesday) and downloaded the trial version of ULead's Video Studio 11.

I have had a quick look and it looks ok. ULead is now under the Corel "banner" and as the owner and user of CorelDraw X3 and PaintShopPro X I find these programs VERY good at what they do. The Corel forums have their occasional "bitchyness" but overall those Corel forums are much more helpful at the outset, especailly for "newbies" or those that want info or tutorials.

So, I apologise for "rolling this all up into one thread", but Roxio's pricing is also in a quandary! I can buy ULead's Video Studio 11 for $69.95 or EMC10 in North America for the same price providing I pay $99.95 and get a cash back reimbursement.

This does not help me too much over here in Australia where the UPGRADE price is US$107.65 and the RETAIL PRICE is US$141.00 This is NOT good.

I know which way I want to go and that is to BUY THE EMC10 UPGRADE (at the right price), because even with all the "faults" I do like EMC, that's why I swapped over from Nero.

If you have not seen the thread...

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=27662

and my post #5, can you or somebody look into the matter and see what can be done with Roxio's pricing schedule.

Thank you for reading.

Kind regards

Peter

If that is the case, I apoligize too.

Good post, but based on the OP's past posts, I believe it was a rhetorical question. Pete doesn't even have the software.

The attached is directed towards Pete.

Well P*** O** to you TOO grandpabruce!

I do not yet have EMC10, but I have had EMC9 for over a year now. I am surprised and disappointed at your response GPB!

I have found that this community is sometimes down on its members and is sometimes quicker to be scathing in their remarks than helpful.

I have had many difficulties with EMC9! Problems that HAVE NOT BEEN resolved here! I have stuck with it despite the problems and sometimes disparaging comments (towards others) here.

Despite using a P4 3.0ghz cpu EMC9 is STILL dreadfully slow! EMC9 STILL has problems writing SOME dvd's I have put that down to *possibly* a faulty dvd reader/writer and have just purchased a new dvd r/w - NOT cheap either as it is a somewhat hard to come by Laptop drive! AU$130 instead of a more normal AU$50.

BTW. I have also just invested in some other new hardware Intel 2.66ghz core 2 duo cpu, two 500gb SATA II hard drives, two 18x SATA II DVD RW drives and 4gb of ram. I am HOPING that this will be enough to run EMC10 - when the price is right - and produce results reasonably quickly.

I have produced a couple of slide shows that use the pan and zoom option and they work out quite good, however the time it takes to produce the output is veeeerry long so I don't spend too much time experimenting, HENCE the LEGITIMATE question!

GPB, if you have NOTHING practical to add then PLEASE don't bother insulting me with your *TROLL* spray.

I am attempting to obtain an upgrade to EMC10, but the wide range of prices and the pricing disparity leaves MUCH to be desired. For example, I can buy the BRAND NEW RETAIL version from Roxio WITHOUT the mail in rebate for LESS than the AUSTRALIAN UPGRADE PRICE - this is ridiculous and I have attempted to have something done about the upgrade price, see other posts. (and don't bother getting out your spray again!).

The respect I had for your participation in this forum has just been shot down in flames. Please don't bother asnwering my questions in the future! If no one else can help me then I am happy to go without an answer, I do not want to have your reply.

I am 58 and have BETTER things to do with my time than *troll* around these forums. You won't see too many questions here from me as there are not too many answers to the kind of questions I ask. I resort to this forum when I have a problem NOT to antagonise people.

Peter

Someone has been setting a bad example!! :ninja:

This posting in areas where you don't have/don't use the software seems to be spreading all over the place. :angry2:

Do you have some spare spray, Bruce?

Brendon

Well then, thank you too for your MOST UNHELPFUL reply!

I raised this question because I watched the "promo" for EMC10, here...

http://www.roxio.com/ena/products/creator/...e/overview.html

and elsewhere on the site (somewhere there are four different people providing examples the thier use of EMC10).

I guess they KNOW IT ALL, as they are already producing their own videos. I seriously doubt that they would have dared raise questions here and expected a helpful answer!

I was impressed with the EMC10 demo, but failed to notice that it was a FLASHPLAYER movie, thanks to smonteijr for ACTUALLY being helpful and pointing that out. Thanks too, to pfcurtis for actually providing a helpful response.

If it has not occured to you yet, Brendon, I was actually asking for some help here! A sample video and a guide on how to reproduce the capabilities of the EMC10 demo would be good - notwithstanding that it is a FLASH movie.

WHere are the tutorials? The only tutorials I recall seeing are those in response to questions on the forum! There does not seem to be a tutorial on the web site here - though I may have missed it! Please, if you know where the tutorials are, can you point them out to me?

kind regards

Peter

I was impressed with the EMC10 demo, but failed to notice that it was a FLASHPLAYER movie, thanks to smonteijr for ACTUALLY being helpful and pointing that out. Thanks too, to pfcurtis for actually providing a helpful response.

I have sympathies with you Peter. I joined this board to get answers and share if possible. So far, in my browsing, I have encountered many many useless, unrelated to the subject, responses, I see many rude, arrogant responses to legitimate questions - Many of them from the "multi posters".

I have learned my lesson, and won't bother to participate any more. It is a waste of time and effort.

eg the zoom and pan of two still images at different speeds within the video, the "slide" on of smaller images at a fast and slow rate, the movement of "still" images on the video along a path to a new position and then off the sceen, etc, etc.

Kind regards

Peter

Motion effects are created in Videowave, the video editing application in EMC.

After you have added your slides or video clips to the timeline. Move the timeline cursor to the clip/slide you want to edit by left clicking the slide on the time line. Then right click the slide/clip and select "edit" then "Pan Zoom Editor". A new window will open with three small views. You are now free to zoom in, and to move the zoom box about the view, to highlight a face or object of interest.

There are also three options: Presets, Manual and Advanced. I won't get into details here, but the Advanced mode will allow you to create some very creative motion, including the motion paths you mentioned. To achieve this you will have to add intermediate "keyframes" which allow you to move the zoomed view into progressive postions along a chosen path.

I have used this effect to follow a journey across a map. Change the slide clip time to stretch out the motion so it be viewed easily. By moving the intermdiate keyframes within the clip you can speed up some parts and slow others.

The "Ken Burns" and other motion effects are not well documented and you will need to experiment a little to get the right motion. The Pan Zoom editor can also be opened by selecting the option under "Production". In addition there is a little hand shaped icon at the top right of the Preview window that opens up the Pan and Zoom Editor.

Motion effects are created in Videowave, the video editing application in EMC.

After you have added your slides or video clips to the timeline. Move the timeline cursor to the clip/slide you want to edit by left clicking the slide on the time line. Then right click the slide/clip and select "edit" then "Pan Zoom Editor". A new window will open with three small views. You are now free to zoom in, and to move the zoom box about the view, to highlight a face or object of interest.

There are also three options: Presets, Manual and Advanced. I won't get into details here, but the Advanced mode will allow you to create some very creative motion, including the motion paths you mentioned. To achieve this you will have to add intermediate "keyframes" which allow you to move the zoomed view into progressive postions along a chosen path.

I have used this effect to follow a journey across a map. Change the slide clip time to stretch out the motion so it be viewed easily. By moving the intermdiate keyframes within the clip you can speed up some parts and slow others.

The "Ken Burns" and other motion effects are not well documented and you will need to experiment a little to get the right motion. The Pan Zoom editor can also be opened by selecting the option under "Production". In addition there is a little hand shaped icon at the top right of the Preview window that opens up the Pan and Zoom Editor.

Good post, but based on the OP's past posts, I believe it was a rhetorical question. Pete doesn't even have the software.

post-81-1189911441.jpg

Peter, I would just have to say that watching this discussion from the sidelines, it did appear from the tone of your original post that you were taunting roxio and our software, if that was not your intention then I want to personally apologize for the posts stating otherwise, but you have to admit, it does have that ring to it.

Please don't quit using the forums over one small tiff. If everyone on the planet always got along, it would be an amazing thing.

Someone has been setting a bad example!! :ninja:

This posting in areas where you don't have/don't use the software seems to be spreading all over the place. :angry2:

Do you have some spare spray, Bruce?

Brendon

<snip>

Despite using a P4 3.0ghz cpu EMC9 is STILL dreadfully slow! EMC9 STILL has problems writing SOME dvd's I have put that down to *possibly* a faulty dvd reader/writer and have just purchased a new dvd r/w - NOT cheap either as it is a somewhat hard to come by Laptop drive! AU$130 instead of a more normal AU$50.

BTW. I have also just invested in some other new hardware Intel 2.66ghz core 2 duo cpu, two 500gb SATA II hard drives, two 18x SATA II DVD RW drives and 4gb of ram. I am HOPING that this will be enough to run EMC10 - when the price is right - and produce results reasonably quickly.

I have produced a couple of slide shows that use the pan and zoom option and they work out quite good, however the time it takes to produce the output is veeeerry long so I don't spend too much time experimenting, HENCE the LEGITIMATE question!

<snip>

Peter

I can't run EMC 10 on my machine, because it won't install on Windows 2000. I know when using EMC 9 and Videowave to put together DVD slideshows, the rendering time is long. I don't expect that'll get too much better with EMC 10, though better hardware will help. I also don't know if the code is optimized to make use of the dual core CPU. It's possible that a single, faster core would work as well or better. The point is that rendering video is extremely processor intensive. And one of the best ways to speed it up is to use Hardware rendering and have a high-powered video card with plenty of RAM on it.

If you see rendering times come down to "real-time" or even twice that, I'd feel you're doing well. On my system, I usually figure rendering times are 5 times the length of the production, or more. Just my thoughts.

Archived