• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

MY DVD 9 Studio able to record from hard drive ?

timbo979

Question

Hi Everyone,

I had MYDVD ver 6.1, (preloaded w HP Media Ctr 2005 XP Pro Pent D 800mh, 4g RAM, 500G HD) MANY Problems although it had burned dvds in the past but very slow.

Many patches and fixes that did'nt work. Most of the same issues I read here over and over, my with the same frustration I've herd expressed here. I really can't understand WHY Sonic/ Roxio fail to put these issues to bed once and for all. I think in the end it will hurt thier business and eventualy ALL of Us who count on these programs to SAVE ALL OUR PRECIOUS PHOTOS AND VIDEOS. Anyway, Sorry for the rant but can you imagine the guy sitting in the cubical at Roxio viewing all the same problems over and over...

Lets hope he/she gets some assistance.

So before I became one more ranting CUSTOMER I decided (with reluctance) to invest in a more up dated version,

Decided I needed the newer version, purchased MYDVD 9 Studio( which I hoped would solve all my problems) And NOW I discover that it doesn't inter face with my HP Media Ctr where my recorded tv is stored on the hard drive. It appears it only captures from live TV through tv card. IS This correct or am I missing something.

HELP PLEASE

Second issue, Media Manager(RoxWatch9.exe) is consuming 50% of my CPU. And thats with it turned off, (Stopped watching)

Thanks, Tim

6 answers to this question

Not sure if missing is the correct word. Media Center records by default to c:\Recorded TV folder. All you need to do in MyDVD is 'add movie' and point it to that folder. MyDVD should recognize the dvr-ms files. When added, it will then ask you to convert it to an editable format and ask where to save that file (My Documents\My Videos is a good place). It will convert and then add the file to the project.

Roxwatch can be disabled in Media Manager. if that doesn't do it, run msconfig and keep it from running completely.

Not sure if missing is the correct word. Media Center records by default to c:\Recorded TV folder. All you need to do in MyDVD is 'add movie' and point it to that folder. MyDVD should recognize the dvr-ms files. When added, it will then ask you to convert it to an editable format and ask where to save that file (My Documents\My Videos is a good place). It will convert and then add the file to the project.

Roxwatch can be disabled in Media Manager. if that doesn't do it, run msconfig and keep it from running completely.

Thanks for your help Mr Russell!,

I guess your right "missing" is not the correct word, stupid newbie I'd say. But, I'm new to these apps. I try to read as much as I can before I bother any of the experts. As I struggle through all the settings and folders and various stepps involved in putting a tv show on a disc, I can only think there has got to be an easier way or more user friendly program that would just do it. Is there? Photo Shop? although It seems that even more complex. Can't imagine my Mom or Dad trying to navigate these issues, between the fixes, patches, updates, deleting registrys, removing programs, reinstalling ect...But I'm learning as I go. It's actually quite humbeling, I thought I could navigate most issues.

Any way...

What do you think about the new media creator 10 suite, is that bug free, issue free, easier to work with?

One more question, apx how long should MyDv d6.1 take to aquire and burn a dvd?

And in MyDvd 9 ? And should I remove prior version 6.1 before installing ver9(which I did)? What about sonic encoders should that remain or uninstall with prior version.

Opps One More is it normal for CPU to use 55-85% while running MY Dvd 9 and aquireing and burning a dvd.

Thanks for your time, I really do appreciate it!!

As Gary pointed out, disabling the Media Manager cuts CPU intrusion by quite a bit.

Still if you think working with video is easy for the user or the PC, you are a long, long way from the path to reality!

Bug free program? If you ever find one, that can actually do anything, let me know!

Keep plugging away at learning this stuff and don't hesitate to pop in here and ask questions.

As Gary pointed out, disabling the Media Manager cuts CPU intrusion by quite a bit.

Still if you think working with video is easy for the user or the PC, you are a long, long way from the path to reality!

Bug free program? If you ever find one, that can actually do anything, let me know!

Keep plugging away at learning this stuff and don't hesitate to pop in here and ask questions.

Thanks!

By both of you saying " disable the media manager" you mean to select "STop Watching folders" Right?

Because thats what I did and a red X showed over task bar icon, however it still was a process in task manager using a whopping 50% of my CPU And thats WITH OUT ANY other features ie capture, burning, or any other sys apps running is it normal even when running with media manager disabled?

(Pent D 820 2.8Ghz 800mhzFSB Intel 945g 4gb DDR ram 500gb HD )

Or is my processor or sys props out dated(2005) or insufficient. Recomend different processor? I know I have an early issue Pent D, much improvements made since, Perhaps Core 2 or quad? Or is it my 32 bit os.

Recomend vista 64bit or XP Pro w/64 bit ? Whats your advise?

Thanks again, Tim

By both of you saying " disable the media manager" you mean to select "STop Watching folders" Right? Because thats what I did and a red X showed over task bar icon, however it still was a process in task manager using a whopping 50% of my CPU
Yes, we meant Stop Watching Folders. It shouldn't be using any CPU if stopped.

An alternative: Click Start / Run and type in services.msc.

Double click on Roxio hard drive watcher 9. Change startup type to 'disabled'. That should keep it from running. There are several other Roxio services you can disable IF you aren't using those features.

Yes as Gary said, in Media Manager, you have Roxwatch Stop Watching Folders. My error! In my reply I misnamed it, sorry.

I would avoid any 64 bit OS for now. It is an immature OS and little if any attention is being put into it.

XP is essentially at the end of its' life and going nowhere.

Vista 64 is for all practical purposes being ignored while the max effort is going into making the Vista flagship work!

My personal feeling? Don't expect 64 to be viable contender for at least another year.

Archived