• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Starting from the beginning: VHS-C to DVD

leeclose

Question

I am v-e-r-y new to the world of making videos. I have some old VHS-C tapes from my parents (of their grandchildren!) and they want me to make DVDs for them. Where do I start? What do I need? I understand that I have to "capture" the video from my VHS-C device, but what cards/devices do I need on my computer? How do I find out if I have them already? I have EMC9 and Windows XP. Thanks!!

9 answers to this question

I am v-e-r-y new to the world of making videos. I have some old VHS-C tapes from my parents (of their grandchildren!) and they want me to make DVDs for them. Where do I start? What do I need? I understand that I have to "capture" the video from my VHS-C device, but what cards/devices do I need on my computer? How do I find out if I have them already? I have EMC9 and Windows XP. Thanks!!

A good start might be to post your complete system specs here so we can see what it is you have. Also, what version of EMC 9 do you have?

There are lots of capture cards both internal and external and it may be that you already have what you need. If you don't know how to tell what you have on your computer, a helpful free tool is Belarc Advisor.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I ran Belarc Advisor and I have alot!! (egads!) Where do I look for the info re: capture cards?

EMC 9 Info (took out serial #):

Roxio Creator 9 Home

Version: 9.0.546

Build: 905B46H, R03

Copyright: Sonic Solutions 2006

Module Name: PX Engine

Build: 3.4.45a, 1

Module Name: Roxio Core

Version: 3.4.0

Build: 340B41B, R9S

Leeclose

I think he meant what your computer specs and hardware were.

Usually your Graphics card has a Yellow RCA Phono Video Input and a Left and Right, Red and White RCA Phono Audio input jacks. You should find these either on the front of your C.P.U. or on the rear mounted to the card.

You then would purchase a VIDEO Patch cable which would give you a Yellow red and white male RCA Phono on each end. Keep it as short as possible for as less signal loss as possible. Come from the VHS-C OUTPUTS, matching Yellow for Yellow etc and go to your Graphics card inputs. If your Computer Does NOT give you all three on the same card or mounted on the front of the C.P.U., you may have to plug the Red and White Males from the VHS_C Outputs to a Red and White Female RCA PHONE to Stereo 1/8" Mini and plug into the LINE IN on the SOUND CARD. Now in somecases you may have to jump from the Sound card to the video card with a Jumper cable supplied by the manufacturer of the graphics card.. Anyways, let's say you are plugged in. Now you need to open The Volume Control found in START, ACCESSORIES, ENTERTAINMENT and look under the RECORDING section to be sure all Levels are up and none are muted. Now open Roxio and go to the Vidoe Capture section and be sure your Card is listed and begin.

:blink:

If you're familiar with the Device Manager, you can right click on MyComputer, select Properties then the Device manager tab, then the Hardware tab. Scroll down to the Sound, Video and Game controllers and tell us what's there. If you're system came with a capture card, it should be listed there.

Not to be a smart ... If you had bought EMC9 Deluxe, it would have solved your problems, because it comes with Dazzle that helped me convert some 10-year old VHS tapes to digital and from there it was a small step to convert them to PAL and send the burnt DVDs to a friend in Germany.

I know this won't help YOU, but maybe someone else who wants to convert and hasn't bought Roxio yet.

Conversion is in real time and kind of boring but thanks to EMC9 Deluxe I was able to do what I couldn't do before.

I understand that I have to "capture" the video from my VHS-C device, but what cards/devices do I need on my computer?
Can we assume that you do NOT have any type of video capture card or device at the present?

There are tons on the market. Google for 'video capture'. I think there is a list of tested devices on the support page, but Media Import should work with any device that has proper Windows Drivers.

Archived