• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 7 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Can't Capture, Clyde

mallorp

Question

A new (and kinda strange) problem. When I attempt to capture video from my DV camera (RCA miniDV "steady pix) the program will scan the tape and present scenes to select. After the usual selction of foders to save in etc, and then selecting the scenes to save, the next and capture buttons at the bottom of the window are greyed out. Only the cancel button is operative. I have used this program with this computer to capture, edit and burn video projects several times before. Changes since last using the program are: added DSL, increased memory, and had MS Service Pack 2 installed, when the operating system was reinstalled. I have twice removed and reinstalled EMC-7 to no avail. Anybody see anything like this before?

Phil

9 answers to this question

I am sort of having the same problem. I can capture, but when I try to edit, it shows the file but has a red line through a 0. It won't let me drag to the time line. I have had lots of problems with capturing, sometimes I capture through windows movie maker and edit through Roxio. I am also having the same problem with WMM.

A new (and kinda strange) problem. When I attempt to capture video from my DV camera (RCA miniDV "steady pix) the program will scan the tape and present scenes to select. After the usual selction of foders to save in etc, and then selecting the scenes to save, the next and capture buttons at the bottom of the window are greyed out. Only the cancel button is operative. I have used this program with this computer to capture, edit and burn video projects several times before. Changes since last using the program are: added DSL, increased memory, and had MS Service Pack 2 installed, when the operating system was reinstalled. I have twice removed and reinstalled EMC-7 to no avail. Anybody see anything like this before?

Phil

Clyde?

I am sort of having the same problem. I can capture, but when I try to edit, it shows the file but has a red line through a 0. It won't let me drag to the time line. I have had lots of problems with capturing, sometimes I capture through windows movie maker and edit through Roxio. I am also having the same problem with WMM.

Your problem is different, you should start a new thread. The original poster had problems capturing not adding the files to the timeline

Have you done a Windows Update recently? SP2 changed the firewire settings on some IEEE 1394 connections and there is an update on the Windows site.

THANK YOU ML!! We may have a winner here. I do check for updates, but it's an automatic thing with this version of Windows. BUT it (apparently) only updates critical files, but not those considered optional. And guess which files were needed? Yup. I loaded 4 of 5 "non essentiel" patches, and one of them (maybe the one that dealt with active-x controls?) made a big difference. I STILL can't capture in SmartScan mode, but the manual seems to be working OK. This brings up a question, but that would be a new thread, right? :)

So for any other frustrated Roxio fans who might ever read this - don't let your machine decide whether or not to download ALL of the 'fixes' from MS. You can be sure I'll check from time to time on any other available non-critical patches.

Guest mlpasley

You're welcome.

You might never be able to get the Smart Scan to work.

It won't work with my Sony and frankly, I'm not sure if all that high speed scanning is good for those tiny little tapes.

Clyde?

Hey Grandpabruce!

I'm on again off again. Not sure just how this works - this isn't live chat is it? If it is, sorry to have been rude. I have been working on this problem for much of the day yesterday and today, tryingf to figure out how a purrfectly (well, OK, not perfect) operating program can suddenly go belly up on me. I have uninstalled and installed twice, so I don't think plan C will be a repeat.

I'm having a sneaking suspicion that SP2 may be the culprit, but can't prove it (or undo it either, I understand.)

Hey Grandpabruce!

I'm on again off again. Not sure just how this works - this isn't live chat is it? If it is, sorry to have been rude. I have been working on this problem for much of the day yesterday and today, tryingf to figure out how a purrfectly (well, OK, not perfect) operating program can suddenly go belly up on me. I have uninstalled and installed twice, so I don't think plan C will be a repeat.

I'm having a sneaking suspicion that SP2 may be the culprit, but can't prove it (or undo it either, I understand.)

Let's go back to the beginning!

How have you connected your camcorder to your PC? EMC 7.5 prefers to capture from a DV camcorder using a Firewire connection. Can you capture in the manual mode? I assume you are trying the SmartScan mode of EMC 7. Personally I never use that mode because all that high speed winding/rewinding of the tape puts a strain on the camera and tape. Mostly I use a small free capture utility called WinDV, it captures all scenes to individual files based on the timestamp on the tape. Have you tried capturing using Windows Movie Maker?

I've tried both smart scan and manual capture, as well as MS moviemaker with the same results. I am connected with the same firewire connection as before. Clearly capture recognizes the camera, because it will still scan. I have tried with firewall off, always on connection disconnected and security reduced to zero (offline, of course.) I use this program intensively in the winter for about two months, and then it sits until the following winter. Last winter it worked satisfactorily. Since then I have increased the memory and installed SP2. Frustration abounds.

Phil

Guest mlpasley

Have you done a Windows Update recently? SP2 changed the firewire settings on some IEEE 1394 connections and there is an update on the Windows site.

Archived