• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

MyDvD Freezes my computer

727Thunderjet

Question

Whenever I start to work in MyDVD, I cannot get very far because the program completely freezes my computer. I cannot even get alt/ctrl/del to work to close the program. I end up having to literally pull the plug on my computer to reboot it. Any thoughts??? Thanks

My Computer config:

Pentium 4 / 2.4 Ghz

512Mb Ram

250 Gb HD

Windows XP / SP2 (all up to date) :angry2:

7 answers to this question

MyDVD locks up when previewing videos in my system also - and requires task manager to kill the entire MyDVD program to escape. It will play videos - but as soon as you fast forward or move around within the video more than once or twice, it locks up. Unchecking "windows media video acceleration" has no effect on the problem. I haven't had any problems with menus. AMD-64x2/nVidia chipset/Sapphire ATI X1900GT video using the latest drivers/EMC9.1.

Someday I'm going to figure out how to make "trim" actually work also . . . . it looks like it is set correctly and should work, but the resulting production never actually has the trim applied. Even the MyDVD video preview knows the trim hasn't actually been applied . . .

MyDVD locks up when previewing videos in my system also - and requires task manager to kill the entire MyDVD program to escape. It will play videos - but as soon as you fast forward or move around within the video more than once or twice, it locks up. Unchecking "windows media video acceleration" has no effect on the problem. I haven't had any problems with menus. AMD-64x2/nVidia chipset/Sapphire ATI X1900GT video using the latest drivers/EMC9.1.

Someday I'm going to figure out how to make "trim" actually work also . . . . it looks like it is set correctly and should work, but the resulting production never actually has the trim applied. Even the MyDVD video preview knows the trim hasn't actually been applied . . .

Some added info - I did a bit of testing on my Dell Latitude D620 laptop. Trimming still does not seem to work, but I did not experience any freezing when moving around within videos. This laptop uses an ATI based on board video chip - Intel duo-core processor - with only 1 core operating, thanks to some corporate IT folks who didn't realize a duo-core machine requires a different load image than a single core machine . . . . Could the nVidia chipset in my home tower be what the Roxio program cannot deal with, even though the video card is ATI?

java script:emoticon(':rolleyes:', 'smid_15')

:rolleyes:

Ok, thanks everybody for the comments. Well, here's the latest. I downloaded the latest driver package fro my Nvidia GeForce4 MX 420 video card. I then completely uninstalled all the previous Nvidia drivers using Windows XP Add/Remove programs function. I then installed the update driver package and reset all my screen display settings. Guess what, I worked in MyDVD for off and on for several hours, adding, deleting photos, video, audio etc, and all functions worked very well and my computer has not frozen once. I will keep everyone posted over the next few weeks to see if it freezes again. Thanks for all your inputs.

My System

Dell 4550 Desktop

Intel P4 @ 2.4GHZ

512 KB L2 Cache

1 GB Ram

Memory Speed 266 mhz

Bus Speed 512 mhz

2 x 250 GB Hard Drives

Nvidia GeForce4 MX420 w/64 mb chipset

Windows XP Home w/SP 2

Good Question in ref. to the Nvidia chipset. I have loaded the EMC9 software on my Dell 600M computer which has an ATI mobile Radeon 9000 graphics card. Even though my laptop is slower, all the functions of MyDVD have been working as advertised for at least a week with no hang ups, freeze ups etc. Also, on my desktop with the Nvidia card, using Windows Media Player 11, I can open and play every one of the Roxio EMC9 preloaded video and audio clips with no problems whatever. So, after wasting numerous hours on this program with absolutely no help from Roxio Tech support (that is a subject for another day), here is what I think.

My guesstimate is that the Roxio's MyDVD software does not interface well with an Nvidia graphics board and there is some kind of conflict between how MyDVD embeds and runs its videos. I think it is either a conflict with Nvidia or with Windows Media Player as I believe that it is interfacing with Windows Media Player to do this. I have seen suggestions to roll back WMP 11 to WMP 10 or below, but that makes no sense to me to go back to a previous version of WMP just to run EMC9. This is an issue that Roxio/Sonic should fix.

Anyway, just some thoughts. by the way, MyDVD has become totally unusable again.

I am running WMP9 on the system I described above that exhibits the lockups in MyDVD, so I do not think WMP is the issue here.

Some added info - I did a bit of testing on my Dell Latitude D620 laptop. Trimming still does not seem to work, but I did not experience any freezing when moving around within videos. This laptop uses an ATI based on board video chip - Intel duo-core processor - with only 1 core operating, thanks to some corporate IT folks who didn't realize a duo-core machine requires a different load image than a single core machine . . . . Could the nVidia chipset in my home tower be what the Roxio program cannot deal with, even though the video card is ATI?

Good Question in ref. to the Nvidia chipset. I have loaded the EMC9 software on my Dell 600M computer which has an ATI mobile Radeon 9000 graphics card. Even though my laptop is slower, all the functions of MyDVD have been working as advertised for at least a week with no hang ups, freeze ups etc. Also, on my desktop with the Nvidia card, using Windows Media Player 11, I can open and play every one of the Roxio EMC9 preloaded video and audio clips with no problems whatever. So, after wasting numerous hours on this program with absolutely no help from Roxio Tech support (that is a subject for another day), here is what I think.

My guesstimate is that the Roxio's MyDVD software does not interface well with an Nvidia graphics board and there is some kind of conflict between how MyDVD embeds and runs its videos. I think it is either a conflict with Nvidia or with Windows Media Player as I believe that it is interfacing with Windows Media Player to do this. I have seen suggestions to roll back WMP 11 to WMP 10 or below, but that makes no sense to me to go back to a previous version of WMP just to run EMC9. This is an issue that Roxio/Sonic should fix.

Anyway, just some thoughts. by the way, MyDVD has become totally unusable again.

Whenever I start to work in MyDVD, I cannot get very far because the program completely freezes my computer. I cannot even get alt/ctrl/del to work to close the program. I end up having to literally pull the plug on my computer to reboot it. Any thoughts??? Thanks

My Computer config:

Pentium 4 / 2.4 Ghz

512Mb Ram

250 Gb HD

Windows XP / SP2 (all up to date) :angry2:

This sounds exactly what this poster went through. Read it carefully. It has to do with the default menu screen size. Report back if this doesn't help you.

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?...c=27504&hl=

Archived