DVD to iPod

dave likes roxio

Question

3 answers to this question

Yes and no. Yes if the DVD is not encrypted with any copy protection. No, if it is a copy-protected commercial DVD. There is software that can rip a DVD to remove its copy protection but I can't discuss it here because stripping copy protection is unlawful in most countries.

If that's the reason you want Toast 8 then I suggest looking at Popcorn 3 instead. It is less expensive and is aimed more at this type of project. It also can work with El Gato's Turbo.264 which is a terrific device for speeding up the conversion to iPod format.

Yes and no. Yes if the DVD is not encrypted with any copy protection. No, if it is a copy-protected commercial DVD. There is software that can rip a DVD to remove its copy protection but I can't discuss it here because stripping copy protection is unlawful in most countries.

If that's the reason you want Toast 8 then I suggest looking at Popcorn 3 instead. It is less expensive and is aimed more at this type of project. It also can work with El Gato's Turbo.264 which is a terrific device for speeding up the conversion to iPod format.

I already have Toast. What will QuickTime Pro do? Any idea?

To do this with an non-encrypted DVD with Toast follow these steps:

1. Choose DVD video as the format in the Toast Video window.

2. Insert the DVD.

3. Choose DVD with the top button of the Toast Media Browser.

4. When the disc's information appears in the browser window select it and add it to the Video window. You can use the button just below the top button to access individual titles or chapters within titles on the DVD.

5. When you add DVD content from the browser to the video window Toast extracts and writes the MPEG video files to the Roxio Converted Items folder.

6. In the video window elect the titles you want to convert to iPod and click the Export button. You'll see the iPod export option there.

If you are going to be doing much of this then the $38 price for Popcorn 3 will be worth it because it doesn't require the time-consuming step of extracting the MPEG video from the DVD. It also works with the El Gato Turbo.264 which I also highly recommend.

I didn't mention anything about QuickTime Pro so I don't know why you asked about that. It serves no purpose for your needs in this case.

Archived